November Rain or This I Love

Słash

Both of them are amazing songs, you had told Axl to play NR during your wedding, if you had heard the TIL before your wedding, would you have changed your mind and told Axl to play TIL on the piano or you would have gone with NR?

When (which year) and where you heard the earliest demo of TIL and how it was different from the Album version?

The first time I heard NR music only was in 1984 and when I heard the Demo with vocals in May of 1986 is when I thought it would make for a great soundtrack in a movie. NV all the way. I didn't hear TIL until 2008 and even though its a great song. I go with NR

• Like 2

This I Love could've been much better. It feels unfinished to me, a couple of cringeworthy lyrics take away a lot of the epic feeling of the song. If you listen to it instrumentally it feels powerful and bombastic and it definetly has a lot of potential, although I would've made the finale much longer like November Rain. November Rain is also much harder to play on piano, TIL is basically the same thing over and over again apart from the last part of the guitar solo and a small bit at the end. In short, Marc would've been a madman if he picked TIL over NR.

• Like 2

This I Love could've been much better. It feels unfinished to me, a couple of cringeworthy lyrics take away a lot of the epic feeling of the song. If you listen to it instrumentally it feels powerful and bombastic and it definetly has a lot of potential, although I would've made the finale much longer like November Rain. November Rain is also much harder to play on piano, TIL is basically the same thing over and over again apart from the last part of the guitar solo and a small bit at the end. In short, Marc would've been a madman if he picked TIL over NR.

Agreed. I'm a biased Axl supporter but I can't get behind "This I Love." Great music, but the lyrics are brutal and cliche. "November Rain" is still one of the best things Axl has ever produced.

• Like 1

I was hearing this cover when I thought to ask Marc my question, of course November Rain is a more complex song and its an amazing song, but TIL is also a great song, If I ever get married, then I would like to have someone play this piano instrumental

• Like 1

Did Axl have a keyboard back in 84-86, or did some of the clubs have pianos and he'd just sit down and play?

I heard him play it on piano at Tracii Guns house

That makes sense. I remember reading a Tracii Guns interview where he said Axl would play it for him and Tracii would always ask "when are you gonna finish that thing?" and Axl would go "I don't know, but someday this song is gonna be really cool" and Tracii responded with "It's cool now"

I prefer this version over ANY NR version. The studio version is too cheesy, somehow the piano parts makes this song too pretentious for me

TIL could have been better with raspy vocals, but i rarely listen to TIL anyway

Even this version is pretty good, I really like the rawness to it

One is a classic, epic ballad with great vocals and amazing guitar solos and the other is whiney, annoying, poor woes me sounding song. There is no comparison. November Rain is a great song. This I love is god awful.

One is a classic, epic ballad with great vocals and amazing guitar solos and the other is whiney, annoying, poor woes me sounding song. There is no comparison. November Rain is a great song. This I love is god awful.

I understand that you like NR better but This I Love is not awful. I think Axl does a great job on it. Its not easy to sing a song like that.

• Like 1

I understand that you like NR better but This I Love is not awful. I think Axl does a great job on it. Its not easy to sing a song like that.

Music is subjective and to me it's awful. It's a one of the whiniest sounding, poor me, pity party songs I've ever heard. Again who cares how difficult it is to sing a song. None of that matters if you think the song sucks. Songs don't get a pass from me based on effort. They get a pass on whether I like them or not. His voice is almost cringe worthy on it.

Edited by Bono

Sorry I have to strongly disagree. This I Love is nowhere near not only NR but also it is nowhere near Don´t Cry, Estranged, Patience or even Street Of Dreams. In the case of This I Love I find the lyrics and music boring and beyond cheese. On top of that I don´t like Axl´s high pitch all over the song

I was hearing this cover when I thought to ask Marc my question, of course November Rain is a more complex song and its an amazing song, but TIL is also a great song, If I ever get married, then I would like to have someone play this piano instrumental

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SQneX8N7E

Wow.....like much more as a piano solo than with lyrics

Robin and Caram have forced and persuaded Axl and Tommy to put This I Love on the record. In one hand the song shine on chinese, on the other hand it could have been bigger.

Its not like NR or Estranged, but its good as it is, at least we got to hear it otherwise Axl would have never released it, every one has their own opinions, but TIL is one of my fav. songs of CD

I like the orchestration, Axl's vocals in the verses, the piano, and most of all Robin's epic solo. A lesson in how to maintain the melodic direction of a solo, especially a long one, and add to the song.

I have a feeling Robin has recorded more great guitar solos for Axl. He said some of his favorite guitar moments remain unreleased.

Edited by Rovim

I like the instrumental versions there are around of TIL. Then you realize the song is really really good.

I once heard Axl say a solo album from him would be mostly instrumental so maybe that's how TIL was created or firstly thought of.