Questions about the Vault..

I am still relatively new on here so i apologise if this has been asked before.. but i have a few questions regarding this "Vault"..

1. Does it actually exist?

It's not a physical vault. It's a metaphorical vault.

2. Does it contain all the concerts from the UYI tour in pro-shot?

All? No. But Slash says that there was a constant film crew presence on the UYI tours and that unreleased backstage and concert footage does exist.

3. Is there possibly any recoreded but unreleased music from the original 5?

Absolutely not.

4. Did Axl ever clarify whether there is a "vault" in any of the forum chats?

No.

5. What else is rumoured to actually be in this so called vault?

Paul Tobias

Not true

There's a few little tidbits http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/198946-demo-list-with-details/?st=0 on the earliest days exists, plus 2 covers from the Stooges for TSI?

Untitled song in progress

Unavailable, this take didn’t make it onto the bootlegs

You’re Crazy acoustic

The Plague

Cornshucker Stomp

The last four songs were omitted from the bootlegs that ended up in circulation. Since the demo session was so long, it’s possible that they just didn’t fit onto the tapes they were copied onto. The other “Move to the City” demo hasn’t surfaced either for whatever reason.

Edited by Strange Broue

Can you imagine the Ultimate Guns n Roses box set that Axl could release right now.

Or the GnR fan club site he could set up. And then like once a week release something new. Week one - pro shot concert from 1992. Week two - studio version of Silkworms. Week three - unreleased song from CD sessions. Week four - back scene footage from UYI tour. Etc.

I'd pay $50 to join that fan club.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hey, everyone!
Raising the subject, come on! Do you believe or expect the UYI concerts to be released?

I really wanted to know why they are in the safe until today. Axl thinks this is not so important to fans or he wants to forget everything that happened at that time and get a new image?

Axl, please release the UYI concerts! Think of us, of all those who have been supported by all these years, who admire your work.

Who owns the vault?.  Geffen/interscope. Slash said in his book that the illusions tour including backstage stuff for the whole 2 years is on tape and wouldnt see the light of day until everyone was on speaking terms. Which they are now so.....i think royalty wise it would be a legal minefield of who gets want and that no-one would want to go through incase it creates further animosanimosity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tadsy said:

Glad to see this raised again. 

Almost certain that if there is a vault, all of the shows from NITL are in it now! 

Maybe some sort of behind the scenes stuff from the first troubadour show? Who knows! 

Oh yes, I remember reading somewhere. With the return of Slash and Duff at this meeting, will it be possible to launch any concert tour?

They seem to be on top of the money making marketing machine game.. Instead of partnering up with clothing lines and other lame stuff,  why not release some classic shit for the fans and make money at the same time? Guns N' Roses 87-93 stand up with the greatest of all time. Get that shit out there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Is there a physical vault in the vein of Prince's vault? I sincerely doubt it. But, I am sure Axl owns hard drives, films, tapes, etc. in different places. 

I'm guessing it's the latter.

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The main reason why we will never see or hear anything new out of the UYI era is because Axl refuses to legitimize anything that isn't the most current lineup. 

I bet you're right. That would actually blow my idea up too because the lineups from 2001 on were never stable enough float live material out there from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The main reason why we will never see or hear anything new out of the UYI era is because Axl refuses to legitimize anything that isn't the most current lineup. 

Can't blame him to be honest.

Lets say they release 2 new singles, one UYI outtake and one with the current line-up. My guess is that everybody will hate on the new stuff and be like "Oh yeah that's from UYI, awesome! The other song was done with Fortus, ugh! I hate it!"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Can't blame him to be honest.

Lets say they release 2 new singles, one UYI outtake and one with the current line-up. My guess is that everybody will hate on the new stuff and be like "Oh yeah that's from UYI, awesome! The other song was done with Fortus, ugh! I hate it!"

Pretty much why CD gets such a bad rap. 

"It wasn't recorded by the classic lineup and therefore isn't a GN'R song!" 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, Whisky said:

Axl, please release the UYI concerts! Think of us, of all those who have been supported by all these years, who admire your work.

I beg you, please don´t open this "support" thing door... Let's get it locked up and let's throw the key away from this forum!:lol: Otherwise, we run the risk of never having these shows..:shrugs:

To be honest, I don´t believe that releasing these Illusion shows would be a good strategy from the band's point of view. Not now.

I don´t believe it would be a sales success even among fans, many would try to get these shows for free and soon would be on YouTube or on any other sharing platform. Only the hard-core ones would buy these shows, and I dare to say that not all of us. 

So the money they would make with it would be irrelevant compared to what they can do making shows...Another point is, with these high quality videos circulating all over the internet, people would surely continue to compare the young Axl with the old Axl. So, IMO, IF one day we get to have these Illusions shows, it will be when the band(Axl) is about to retire.

Anyway..when TB took over the management in 2011 they tried to put the band on this live stream market but I think that something happened on that O2 Arena in 2012 thing and then after that we didn´t have any more live broadcasts coming from the band. Maybe they realized that it's a lot of headache dealing with producers just to please a few fans.

Even now, with Slash and Duff onboard again..how much money could they make? Knowing that a few hours after the broadcast the show would be available for free on Youtube..

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I would love to have the concerts that i went to, i'd pay a shit ton of money for those.

Oh absolutely. I've been to a LOT of GNR shows and I'd pay for for the soundboard recording of all of them, even the shitty ones lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh absolutely. I've been to a LOT of GNR shows and I'd pay for for the soundboard recording of all of them, even the shitty ones lol

I want the proshot stuff from the 91-93 if Axl emptied the vault i'd empty my bank account to get them:lol:

edit, *husband's account

Edited by janrichmond
  • Like 1

a pro shot recording of Guns n Roses Live in Ritz 1987 done by Geffen surfaced last year; are there more from 1986-1989 (pre-illusions) era?

it is a known fact that Marc Canter has basically every GNR show from the club days (1985-1986) and also a few more from when they were bigger recorded in video. Just a few of them are in circulation

Izzy, Axl, Slash, Duff and (less likely) Steven may have made (and kept) homemade recordings (like done with acoustic guitars etc) of songs from even before GNR days and going all the way to pre-illusion era and beyond.

axl has mentioned for example that duffs and west arkeen early version home recording of its so easy (done with drum programming if i am not mistaken) sounded like a country song. how many more recordings like these were made during all those years?

did they record rehearsals? there is a recording of an early hollywood rose rehearsal circulating, it means that someone did record and kept. is there any recording of GNR rehearsals? From 1986? 1987? and beyond?

Bands record rehearsals and writing sessions so they can listen to it later and remember what they played and pick and choose the best ideas. did GNR do that? how many endless hours must have been recorded during all these years? there is the mate rehersals circulating with proves that someone did record a rehearsal. was it the band? did they keep these recordings? who knows?

GNR recorded Live Like a Suicide in studio. how many hours did they spend on studio to make those takes? were the outtakes abandoned? erased? or kept?

GNR tried different producers before settling for Mike Clink. They demoed a lot of songs before the actual appetite sessions. How many hours and hours of tapes were recorded and kept?

How many endless hours of tapes must have been recorded (were they kept?) for the actual Appetite sessions? Its known that the band wrote (or worked on) You Could be Mine during those sessions. Band probably demoed and/or recorded other tracks like Perfect Crime and November Rain during Appetite Sessions. Do these recordings exist? Has someone kept them?

A few outtakes from the Lies Sessions have been in circulation for a while. Are they the only ones? Are there more?

It is known (Izzy said this) that the band booked studios and tried to record the Illusion albums at least 2 times (probably 1989 and 1990) before the actual illusion sessions took place. One of these attempts was likely the famous Chicago sessions. Are there recordings from those writing/recording sessions? Duff said they wrote/started working on a lot of songs in Chicago, it would be fascinating to listen to early versions of songs that ended up on Illusion albums.

What about the month-long illusion sessions when Izzy, Slash, Duff, Matt and Dizzy laid the basic tracks for the Illusion albums. Surely someone recorded each and every take from those sessions. Countless hours of studio time with perfect quality. Were these recordings kept somewhere? Will they ever surface?

What about the 8-month long or so that Axl took to record vocals and whatever else additional "effects" and "synths" that he added to the album? Does someone cares to listen to Axl trying different vocal lines and melodies on endless takes? I do!

what about random rehearsals and soundchecks that may have been recorded while on tour for all these years?

what about slash and izzy and duff and who knows maybe even axl home-made recordings while on the road in hotels etc?

what about the entire 1991-1993 tour which by all accounts were recorded?

what about the 3 warm up gigs in 1991 that were shot on film?

what about the original spaghetti sessions with izzy (some are already circulatiing... is there more?

what about Robert John only-teased, never-released footage?

I could go on and on and on...

there were the songs duff and izzy wrote for axk in 1995 (or was it 1996)

there is the infamous zakk wylde sessions

there is the Pre-VR "The Project" sessions with izzy which if i am not mistaken resulted in "the best instrumental GNR album" as slash described it done by izzy, slash, duff and matt

and there is surely more

all this shit may exist and may be sitting in old boxes who knows where!

i am not sure about you people, but to me that is HOLY FUCKING GRAIL

:headbang:

• Like 2

There are many points why this has not been released until today. And, as they have already said, these things would not make a profit today. But, what else do they need?

They all have their retirement guaranteed, what is the problem in pleasing the fans with these materials? Either way, there are many questions and no answers.

I feel so robbed.. So many bands release so much shit..  I just want some good quality, awesome old school, pro shot, behind the scenes or anything else, from the old days that I haven't seen.  I need a great pro shot show from the glory days to get drunk and watch.  I love the Ritz and still do throw it on a couple times a year but I need something else!  No one has to worry about NITL sales because when that DVD (I assume there will be one) comes out, I will buy it and enjoy that for what it is too, but hook us up!! Hell, even if it is a pro shot of a bootleg I have already seen.  Melbourne 88 was an awesome show but it would incredible to have remastered and complete.. Or even a mix of stuff... The only thing I wouldn't care for (but would prob still buy) would be another pro shot from 92.. Tokyo is out there already and can be tough to watch.. I never seek out shows from the 92 leg really...  93 would be bad ass though!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1