How Good is Axl in the Piano? As Great as Dizzy?

Aside from November Rain, is he quite good in the piano? Compared to Dizzy, is he even close or do you consider his skills just so so?

Also, on other GNR songs with piano parts, is it him who made the melody or is it all Dizzy?

Well Axl played the piano to Estranged on the album and ofcourse has always done live stuff covers of Elton John and IT's alright in the 90's.. i bet Axl is pretty skilled yes, but it is unclear to me what axl wrote and played on the illusions and what Dizzy wrote and recorded, altho Street of Dreams is by Dizzy and the Piano solo he does before he usually starts the song is very enjoyable and well played to me.

Is Axl is good as Dizzy? Probably not. Is Axl a good pianist, certainly. He knows his blues scales as evidenced by his old piano intro to November Rain.

I think i remember reading that Axl is self-taught, perhaps taking a few lessons when he was a kid. If that's the case, he's pretty decent. More than anything, he has a terrific sense of melody and rhythm. This most likely influenced by Elton John, who is known for coining the piano as a percussion instrument in pop/rock music.

Considering Dizzy wrote the outro from Layla, most of the orchestral arrangements from Kashmir, and The March Of The Black Queen, it's pretty obvious no one can pretend to be half as talented as him.

• Like 1

Didn't Axl play the piano in 14 Years and even Civil War? There's great r'n'r piano in there, who ever played it.

Its def him on 14 Years, cant remember about Civil War tho.

Civil war is dizzy.

I just assume who ever plays the piano on a song wrote the parts. anyway he was completely unnecessary on fast paced songs like pretty tied up, civil war (ending). Making the songs like old western saloon piano jams

• Like 1

Didn't Axl play the piano in 14 Years and even Civil War? There's great r'n'r piano in there, who ever played it.

Civil war is dizzy.

I just assume who ever plays the piano on a song wrote the parts. anyway he was completely unnecessary on fast paced songs like pretty tied up, civil war (ending). Making the songs like old western saloon piano jams

Piano in Civil War is top notch and in no way unnecessary, IMO.

• Like 2

perhaps taking a few lessons when he was a kid.

always thought he had piano lessons...

I remember an interview he did years ago in which he said he was mostly self taught. I'll see if I can find it.

I found this in the Rolling Stone interview:

I've been playing piano my whole life. I took lessons, but I only really played my lesson on the day of the lesson. All week long, I'd sit down at the piano and just make up stuff. To this day, I still can't really play other people's songs, only my own. I haven't had a piano for years. I couldn't afford one. I couldn't figure out where I was sleeping at night, let alone try to have a place for a piano. So I had to put it aside and have the dream that I'd get into it. Now I really want to bring the piano out.

It's not the interview I was thinking of, but it seems he did take lessons (albeit briefly) ?

Edited by uncivil war
  • Like 1

Aside from November Rain, is he quite good in the piano? Compared to Dizzy, is he even close or do you consider his skills just so so?

Also, on other GNR songs with piano parts, is it him who made the melody or is it all Dizzy?

is this a serious question?

axl WROTE estranged on the piano

axl WROTE november rain

and dizzy?

what did dizzy do?

lularindo.jpg

• Like 1

Civil war is dizzy.

Piano in Civil War is top notch and in no way unnecessary, IMO.

I really dont find it to be unnessecary on any of the UYI tracks that its on to be honest.