Moderation Discussion

Towelie

I've moderated under Eric, Subs, and now Downzy, and it's probably the most laid back now than it's been since I started.

But in the last few years, each admin has had to deal with diffmembers and different situations that have happened that have influenced the moderation.

In all honesty, a lot of people get away with saying a lot of things they shouldn't. Not to mention, the mod logs are there so you can see what mod removed a post from what thread.

Things might not be perfect, and they probably never will be, but it's probably the best now that it's been in a long time.

In all these years why were you not promoted to be an Admin? It is your choice or you just din't get the call?

Is anyone else 99% sure that Slash787 is a tasty little alt cupcake? Apologies if I'm wrong.

if me giving a suggestion or asking a question is a problem to anyone then ok I won't ask and if you read my posts from before, I did say that all of them are doing a great job and I don't have a problem with anyone.

Have a nice day people.

Moderation has never been better. Admins and mods are doing an excellent job.

My two cents:

I visit multiple non-GnR forums and one thing I noticed is that you can't insult someone without earning a warning, suspension or banning. Over here things were different when I registered, you couldn't say "go fuck yourself you stupid piece of shit" but you could go as far as saying "Well, then you're a retard." Well, most forums out there do not accept this behavior and with downzy at the helm this has changed. A forum where people are not allowed to insult each other is always a great platform for discussion. If people can't behave, well, they can always find another places where there's no moderation whatsoever and insult everyone who happen to disagree with them.

Another thing I have noticed is that now you have more freedom to make jokes or take jabs at someone without making moderators think you're being an asshole. Back then I would post a meme, I would get it deleted and would get a warning point for it, when I knew it wasn't meant to be taken as an offence. That "misunderstanding" between mods and users has vanished. I feel like this is a more friendly environment than before. Not sure if it's because I'm no longer a new member or whatever, but at least that's what I feel.

I have zero complaints so far, but I should join Facekicker about that "politically correct" censorship. I know that has been happening lately and while I don't care, I think he has a valid point there. Maybe people who are interested in that regard, should try to discuss this further. I'm just saying that he's right but if it doesn't change, I don't care.

• Like 3

I'll tell you what I've noticed.

I've noticed when the forum first shifted management about, what was it, three years ago now? Four years ago? There were reports consistently throughout the day, every day. The email alerts were constant. It became a very depressing, thankless situation and I can think of at least two moderators in particular who really picked up the slack during this time and we owe a great deal to them for this forum still being around, tbh. But that isn't the case anymore. I rarely ever see reports filed. We've successfully weeded out the trolls, and a lot of the big beefs that were going on back then have been successfully resolved. We have less personalities sparring against each other, less temper tantrums being thrown. Sure, people still get into squabbles here and there, but the forum has improved a great deal in this regard, and a lot of people I used to see starting trouble seem to be at least showing more respect towards us since back then, and I think it's because a lot of them realized over time we weren't actively trying to shoot them down or be dicks. There's a level of respect amongst everyone here that hasn't existed in a long, long time on this forum and it's refreshing.

So to see a thread like this kind of sucks and doesn't really feel reflective of the vibe I'm getting here these days. I don't think if you had legitimate issues with moderation you couldn't get further talking to the person moderating you than you might by making a topic like this putting everyone on blast and generalizing.

Mods are doing a great job. The only thing I'd change forum-wise would be making D&N open for every era of the band again. With GNR being dead, giving more exposure to Slash, Duff, Buckethead, etc. would make the main forum more varied and interesting IMO. Speaking for myself, sometimes I forget that sections like Slash, The Jungle and Civil War exist. But yeah, in general, for a forum dedicated to a dead band, it's doing great!

I'll tell you what I've noticed.

I've noticed when the forum first shifted management about, what was it, three years ago now? Four years ago? There were reports consistently throughout the day, every day. The email alerts were constant. It became a very depressing, thankless situation and I can think of at least two moderators in particular who really picked up the slack during this time and we owe a great deal to them for this forum still being around, tbh. But that isn't the case anymore. I rarely ever see reports filed. We've successfully weeded out the cupcakes, and a lot of the big beefs that were going on back then have been successfully resolved. We have less personalities sparring against each other, less temper tantrums being thrown. Sure, people still get into squabbles here and there, but the forum has improved a great deal in this regard, and a lot of people I used to see starting trouble seem to be at least showing more respect towards us since back then, and I think it's because a lot of them realized over time we weren't actively trying to shoot them down or be dicks. There's a level of respect amongst everyone here that hasn't existed in a long, long time on this forum and it's refreshing.

So to see a thread like this kind of sucks and doesn't really feel reflective of the vibe I'm getting here these days. I don't think if you had legitimate issues with moderation you couldn't get further talking to the person moderating you than you might by making a topic like this putting everyone on blast and generalizing.

I think a lot of people are forgetting just how bad this place got in 2010-2011. Not only were there a lot more cupcakes, but someone didn't care about this place at all and it would shut down for days at a time. People would leave, mods were overrun, and it was just a terrible environment.

The mods since 2011 have been doing an excellent job. And that isn't a jab at mods of the past like Montrealer and co. Almost everyone pulled their weight, its just things have been getting better and better

I don't think you should get too bothered about this thread. Any thread on moderation will always throw up a few issues no matter how well a job you are doing. I get you on the generalising thing though.

As for the "Politically-correct" issue. I think Anything Goes/Seen That Movie too should be moderated a little less on issues that might give rise to someone saying "That offends me"

Because "That offends me" is being used all over the net these days to lock/remove/shut-down discussions that might otherwise make people feel uncomfortable. Which is never a good thing. It is also being used to censor political viewpoints that people might disagree with.

Now in relation to mygnr I would say that it only a very very minor thing - I am just saying lets not go down that road.

• Like 1

I don't think you should get too bothered about this thread. Any thread on moderation will always throw up a few issues no matter how well a job you are doing. I get you on the generalising thing though.

As for the "Politically-correct" issue. I think Anything Goes/Seen That Movie too should be moderated a little less on issues that might give rise to someone saying "That offends me"

Because "That offends me" is being used all over the net these days to lock/remove/shut-down discussions that might otherwise make people feel uncomfortable. Which is never a good thing. It is also being used to censor political viewpoints that people might disagree with.

Now in relation to mygnr I would say that it only a very very minor thing - I am just saying lets not go down that road.

Care to give an example where a post was removed or edited as a result of being politically incorrect?

yes, we can

but the mods (doesn't matter who they are) will never change their opinion or never admit their mistakes...

i'M not talking about mygnr only, i'M talking about internet forums in general

that's what happens when you give power to a certain group of people

I'm not saying you're wrong in all cases, but I think you are in about 80% of them. Try and look at the other side of the medallion here. Mods, no matter where, choose to invest (a lot of) their spare time into creating a place where people can discuss something they're all into. And no matter how you do it, you only get shit in return. There's always users complaining, people being jerks, people purposely breaking the rules, people trying to stir shit up, people just plain trying to make your life miserable. Always. No matter how good a job you do. It's a bloody thankless job. All you get for it is shit. And threads like this. So excuse them if they get a little sick and tired of it occasionally and clean something a little too rigorous or lash out against a user that had it coming for months. I'm not saying it's always ok, just that it's often understandable.

And in the light of all that, I think the admin/mod team here is doing a bloody good job. Just like they were when Subsy and High were running things. And I definitely don't agree with everything Madison did, but I fully understand her frustration and she got a lot more shit for it than she deserved.

Try and look at it from their side occasionally.

yeah yeah

1. lot of spare time, i think no one is forcing them to invest time on an internet forum ...

2. i do not think they only got shit in return, they constantly kiss their circles asses, and a lot of people kissing their asses so...

3. i have zero problem, if they do not like this thread so no need to "excuse " them, imho

4. we are all humans and make mistakes, i don't think anybody deny this here in this thread...

5. this is just an internet forum after all, not serious business

6. i'm not saying the moderation is always bad here, a few posters saying it's often too rigorous (but yeah, still better than in 2002-2010 but that doesn't automatically mean it's good),

7. As you can see, the mods here took this thread as an offense and that is a bit laughable (although thank god, they do not close this thread, so kudos to them for this! :headbang: )

8. Try to look at it from the casual posters side :shrugs: i think the criticism lately is valid

Edited by Strange Broue

yes, we can

but the mods (doesn't matter who they are) will never change their opinion or never admit their mistakes...

I'm not saying you're wrong in all cases, but I think you are in about 80% of them. Try and look at the other side of the medallion here. Mods, no matter where, choose to invest (a lot of) their spare time into creating a place where people can discuss something they're all into. And no matter how you do it, you only get shit in return. There's always users complaining, people being jerks, people purposely breaking the rules, people trying to stir shit up, people just plain trying to make your life miserable. Always. No matter how good a job you do. It's a bloody thankless job. All you get for it is shit. And threads like this. So excuse them if they get a little sick and tired of it occasionally and clean something a little too rigorous or lash out against a user that had it coming for months. I'm not saying it's always ok, just that it's often understandable.

And in the light of all that, I think the admin/mod team here is doing a bloody good job. Just like they were when Subsy and High were running things. And I definitely don't agree with everything Madison did, but I fully understand her frustration and she got a lot more shit for it than she deserved.

yeah yeah

1. lot of spare time, i think no one is forcing them to invest time on an internet forum ...

2. i do not think they only got shit in return, they constantly kiss their circles asses, and a lot of people kissing their asses so...

3. i have zero problem, if they do not like this thread so no need to "excuse " them, imho

4. we are all humans and make mistakes, i don't think anybody deny this here in this thread...

6. i'm not saying the moderation is always bad here, a few posters saying it's often too rigorous (but yeah, still better than in 2002-2010 but that doesn't automatically mean it's good),

7. As you can see, the mods here took this thread as an offense and that is a bit laughable (although thank god, they do not close this thread, so kudos to them for this! :headbang: )

8. Try to look at it from the casual posters side :shrugs: i think the criticism lately is valid

I don't think any of the mods took the thread offensively - have you even taken the time to read their responses?

Nobody forces them to invest time in the forum; that's something they do for the community. It's how volunteering works. If you don't like the way they volunteer their time, the onus here is really on you to either give them constructive feedback or leave. :shrugs:

• Like 3

Care to give an example where a post was removed or edited as a result of being politically incorrect?

Not particularly. Perhaps you misread my post, I said lets not go down that road...and that it was only a very very minor thing. So it was a suggestion rather than a critique of previous behaviour.

Now I willl admit that there were obviously some decisions that made me think that in the past but they weren't big enough that they stick in my mind to point them out to you.

Not particularly. Perhaps you misread my post, I said lets not go down that road...and that it was only a very very minor thing. So it was a suggestion rather than a critique of previous behaviour.

Now I willl admit that there were obviously some decisions that made me think that in the past but they weren't big enough that they stick in my mind to point them out to you.

I guess I was wondering if posts were actually being deleted or edited due to political correctness. You and I have had our disagreements over feminism in movies, but I don't think I ever prevented you from them making your point no matter how much I disagreed with it. You may not have enjoyed my responses to your arguments, but offering up a counterpoint isn't the equivalent of having your post deleted because I disagree with it.

We do have word censors for stuff like the n-word and so on, but I don't believe myself or any other mod has warned or suspended others for speaking offensively if it's in general. We do not allow belligerent or abusive language when directed towards other members, but that has more to do with keeping things on track.

I guess I was wondering if posts were actually being deleted or edited due to political correctness. You and I have had our disagreements over feminism in movies, but I don't think I ever prevented you from them making your point no matter how much I disagreed with it. You may not have enjoyed my responses to your arguments, but offering up a counterpoint isn't the equivalent of having your post deleted because I disagree with it.

We do have word censors for stuff like the n-word and so on, but I don't believe myself or any other mod has warned or suspended others for speaking offensively if it's in general. We do not allow belligerent or abusive language when directed towards other members, but that has more to do with keeping things on track.

Fair enough. It wasn't in relation to the feminism stuff, it was something else. I honestly can't remember what exactly. No biggie.

yes, we can

yeah yeah

I don't think any of the mods took the thread offensively - have you even taken the time to read their responses?

Nobody forces them to invest time in the forum; that's something they do for the community. It's how volunteering works. If you don't like the way they volunteer their time, the onus here is really on you to either give them constructive feedback or leave. :shrugs:

your response is the proof that they took the thread offensively

and yes, i've read their responses

I don't care how they volunteer their time, that's not the exact point, i'm just simply stating my opinion like everybody else

whatever

Edited by Strange Broue

yes, we can

yeah yeah

your response is the proof that they took the thread offensively

and yes, i've read their responses

I don't care how they volunteer their time, that's not the exact point, i'm just simply stating my opinion like everybody else

whatever

:lol: OK. you obviously didn't read their posts. No worries.

• Like 2

I know you have the word filter, but just to make a point, lets talk about the words, "kike, chink, spic, coon, jap, jigaboo, cracker, honky, etc." These all seem to show up. Free speech or not? That's your choice what you choose to censor, but in the words of South Park, "either everything is oOK, or nothing is."
  • Like 1