"Going Down" 2 years later...

I wouldn't call it the best thing I've heard from gnr but it is a solid enough song. Maybe a little flat in that it doesn't really go anywhere. Sounds like a less good Tom Petty song. Having said that, I would be happy to see it on a new GnR album, but the material that would need to accompany it would need to be quite different than CD.

One of the things that made New Guns cool was Axl pushing the boundaries and exploring new sounds. This is a good song, but it's a bit generic for what the band is capable of.

And that's why it'll likely never be released. It wouldn't fit on CD at all. It's a completely different sounds. If the next album is CD leftovers, then its likely songs will be complex like CD.

The perfect version of this song would be a better drum intro and Duff on vocals. I really dig Tommy's voice, but if you wan't this to be a GNR song with Axl doing backing vocals, then Duff/Izzy must sing lead. Also, a solo that actually fits the song would be a lot better.

It's a great song and I listen to it a lot. It's very different from CD which is interesting, considering it could give some clues about the musical directions of CD II

Makes me think maybe CD II has more variety of songwriters like UYI had some more solo type efforts. Not as focused as AFDor CD theme wise. Like a Tommy song, Silkworms from Dizzy and Pitman, a cover like The Seeker. Fortus could possibly bring a hard rock song or more classic rock feel. Could be a lot more diverse like UYI.

So about 2 years ago "Going Down" leaked. The first new (full) song since 5 years at that point. What are your thoughts on it ?

I personally think it is a great song apart from Bumbles solo :lol:

2 years later it sounds boring and stale

When it leaked, i thought it was a great laid back radio rock song, but Axl's backing "yawnings" doesn't convince me too much...

Great song and a strong album filler.

Wont be so good if it was a leading single off the album.

Not under the GNR banner, but it would be great as a radio rock single for any band, imo

Just a mainstream rock track, that's all

It was hilarious when it came out, people acting like it was the second coming or something "(yaay, this is better than CD)" :lol:

Edited by Strange Broue

It never made its way onto my ipod to this day. Remained on a music downloading app I had my old iPhone. Now that I don't have the iPhone I don't have the song anywhere to my knowledge.

It was an alright song. Good tommy song as previously mentioned. Didn't care for Axl in the background. Vocals didn't work for me.

It just didn't make sense why they didn't try the song live. It leaked, and it would have been cool to hear. Instead they tell us we ruined all the fun and our punishment is more silence? I mean outside of tommy just not wanting to do the song, they should have just gone with it. It would have been better than any of their solo's they do.

I just got done listening to it, and the song is refreshing in a sense. It's a good song live to break into some of the slower songs on the set list. It would have been perfect for Tommy's solo. Although the solo in the song itself isn't very good. It seems forced.

Solo is someone else as well. Bbf guitar was hard panned to the left and only had part of the solo.

Maybe it leaked because it wont ever be officially released? I dont think the band aknowledged it?

BBF hinted at it. Forgot what he said though, all I remember is he has tagged goingdown and used in a sentence Edited by Mendez

Solo is someone else as well. Bbf guitar was hard panned to the left and only had part of the solo.

Maybe it leaked because it wont ever be officially released? I dont think the band aknowledged it?

BBF hinted at it. Forgot what he said though, all I remember is he has tagged goingdown and used in a sentence

BBF hinted at it. Forgot what he said though, all I remember is he has tagged goingdown and used in a sentence

https://twitter.com/bumblefoot/status/368342681006915584

I remember that now. Didnt Beta or someone say the remix leaks spoiled everything? I wasnt paying attention around that time.

Was Ron in or out at that point? He was still in because there was atour where they coulda played GD and didnt.

It was probably Tommy and Ron's final attempt to write something.

With Jackie chan and Doing down as the leaks it sounds more hard rock already.