downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

America. You can't make it up, yet it's so predictable.

The legal request, filed nearly four hours after Barack Obama vowed to sign a new law banning precisely the bulk collection he asks the secret court to approve, also suggests that the administration may not necessarily comply with any potential court order demanding that the collection stop.

US officials confirmed last week that they would ask the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance court – better known as the Fisa court, a panel that meets in secret as a step in the surveillance process and thus far has only ever had the government argue before it – to turn the domestic bulk collection spigot back on.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/obama-lawyers-asked-secret-court-to-ignore-public-courts-decision-on-spying/206401/

Assume the program will go on, I hope no one in the administration is that stupid as to halt it.

If you make a phone call to Yemen, send an email to someone already on their watch list, or use the words bomb, ISIS, Jihad, suicide and especially in combo with each other in an email or text then expect someone to take at least a quick peek

at your life.

This isn't rocket science.

Assume the program will go on, I hope no one in the administration is that stupid as to halt it.

If you make a phone call to Yemen, send an email to someone already on their watch list, or use the words bomb, ISIS, Jihad, suicide and especially in combo with each other in an email or text then expect someone to take at least a quick peek

at your life.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I actually agree with Shades on this. Never really been bothered by the NSA actions nor the security apparatus created post-9/11. Perhaps as a white male I have less to worry about, but I genuinely believe that most of the data collection is used for the purposes stated. Agreed that the scope and depth of the data collection should have been made clearer publicly, but I think most people would find it to be an acceptable amount of sacrifice with respect to personal privacy versus personal security.

at your life.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I actually agree with Shades on this. Never really been bothered by the NSA actions nor the security apparatus created post-9/11. Perhaps as a white male I have less to worry about, but I genuinely believe that most of the data collection is used for the purposes stated. Agreed that the scope and depth of the data collection should have been made clearer publicly, but I think most people would find it to be an acceptable amount of sacrifice with respect to personal privacy versus personal security.

You've changed since you started to run this place :lol: You used to play for mine and Graemes team :lol:

at your life.

I just always assumed it was going on already anyway.
  • Like 1

All they have to do is watch Homeland. Then they would happily give up their privacy.

I think we should all wear body cameras controlled from a central location. You know, for safety and security. Let's have a reasonable discussion about it. No extreme views.

as of this moment, he certainly is the most qualified of what I've seen so far

Republicans are going to lose. If they want to win they have to be more favorable to abortion rights, equal pay and birth control.

The man is a greedy, egotistical, bullying, inconsiderate, environmentally irresponsible, profiteering, exploitative, culturally ignorant, belligerent prick. Potentially ideal POTUS material...

I would be thrilled if he never set foot in Scotland again and took all of his self-interests with him.

• Like 1

Look harder.

• Like 2

Well he's certainly the most qualified weave seen so far.

• Like 1

Republicans are going to lose. If they want to win they have to be more favorable to abortion rights, equal pay and birth control.

taking the stance that every woman has the right to choose but don't ask me to pay for it or condone it just doesn't work for you huh?

The only worthwhile takeaway is that if you have a lot of money, you can do almost whatever you want, including running your business into the ground on multiple occasions, and still be taken seriously by the establishment. It's not like he has a chance to win. This is just another swinging watch hypnotizing the crowd.

It's not like he has a chance to win. This is just another swinging watch hypnotizing the crowd.

which is exactly what Hillary should be considered as and really nothing more,

so why is it you think the media builds her up otherwise.

and I realize I have to live in a country with 58,720,700

of them according to the vote count from last election so I've just learned to deal with it

It's not like he has a chance to win. This is just another swinging watch hypnotizing the crowd.

Because she's a career politician and she holds exactly zero positions that threaten the status quo. Those are the perquisites.

Dynasties are becoming a thing in the States too. Her last name is Clinton, so she must be qualified, right? :lol:

I don't know, perhaps it's because she's been a first lady, a senator, and the Secretary of State who has met countless foreign dignitaries and knows the system inside and out.

Now contrast that with Trump, and you're telling me you don't see a difference?