downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

12,642 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Antifa vandalizes and tries to bring down a statue they thought had to do with the confederacy but was actually a "peace" monument.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/19861/oops-antifa-protesters-vandalized-peace-monument-emily-zanotti

"Unfortunately for Antifa, who were clearly too busy opposing fascism to read a plaque at the base of the monument (which is printed with the words, "Cease firing, peace is priceless,”) or do any basic Google research, what they thought was a pro-Confederate memorial turned out to be a monument to peace."

Fools.

I detest anarchy. But I hate Nazis even more. There should be counter-protests against the Nazis but more organized and less violent unless in self defense.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, KURT19 said:

Looks to me like he's trolling AXL now! :axl:

See the GNR T Shirt?

Donald is a GNR fan.

2 people like this

31 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I detest anarchy. But I hate Nazis even more. There should be counter-protests against the Nazis but more organized and less violent unless in self defense.

Of course....non-radicalized, peaceful protests are what some of the greatest movements in this country's history were based around....and I'm all for that as well.  

I don't know how many times I need to repeat this around here....radicals and extremists (in most cases) are the downfall of civilized society...and that goes for all types: white supremacists, neo Nazis, Antifa, radical anarchists, ISIS, Al-Queda.....etc...etc...all rooted from the same type of evil and ignorance. 

Edited by Kasanova King

According to New York Times Trump has told his aides Bannon is on his way out. But wait, nytimes is fake news according to Trumop. Let's see what happens.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

According to New York Times Trump has told his aides Bannon is on his way out. But wait, nytimes is fake news according to Trumop. Let's see what happens.

Bannon is out...was reported by the WSJ about 20 min ago. 

I do not really like any protesters really, either side of the political spectrum. America seems to have the same stupid people Britain has. You might have chucked our tea in the harbour but you have our exact same idiots.

It seems John Kelly has been cleaning up the White House but how long will he put up with this asshole?

No matter what happens, Republicans will never vote to impeach and remove a Republican no matter how much they hate him. One it is because they are Republican and two because it is Pence. If someone like Mitt Romney would swallow his pride and accept VP, then maybe Republicans would turn on Trump. But they are doing what they can to keep Trump from resigning. 

Also, the election next year is not looking good for Democrats, 6 Democrat seats are up for grabs in red states. Republicans are at this point are set to gain several seats on the Senate. They will keep hold of the House. That means they will control the 2020 Census which means more Gerrymandering. So for the next decade or so, Democrats are fucked. 

Rumors Bannon resigned quietly two weeks ago, says he's going to go medieval on enemies of Trump now as he spent 7 months with access to everything that is happening.

1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

Donald is a GNR fan.

He was right, again.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Also, the election next year is not looking good for Democrats, 6 Democrat seats are up for grabs in red states. Republicans are at this point are set to gain several seats on the Senate. They will keep hold of the House. That means they will control the 2020 Census which means more Gerrymandering. So for the next decade or so, Democrats are fucked. 

The 2012 mid-term Senate elections had essentially the same map for Democrats as the upcoming 2018 elections and the party was still able to pick up two seats in 2012.  Granted, they benefited a lot from having Obama on the ticket, but I no longer expect 2018 to be a Senate landslide for Democrats as I did six months ago.  They'll be better funded and will run better candidates.  Then there's also Trump, who will likely split support amongst Republicans (loyal vs. disloyal).  Best thing for Democrats is if Trump remains President until after the 2018 midterms.

As for congressional (re)-districting, that's something done by the states, not by whoever controls the House.  2020 will be an important election year in terms of control for state legislatures since those elections will determine the next round of re-districting.  Again, if Trump is still the party nominee in 2020, that should benefit Democrats.  I know you think Trump wins in 2020, but I just don't see that happening.  Trump won in 2016 less because of his actions and more because enough Clinton-leaning voters sat home.  I don't see that same dynamic at play in 2020, especially if Democrats can find someone not loaded with so much baggage.  Granted, he'll still have the "deplorables," but those people who voted for him because they couldn't trust Hillary or believed that he could make America great again.  America won't be rebuilt in 2020, the debt will continue to grow, Obamacare will still be in place, tax reform will have likely failed, jobs won't have returned to America, NAFTA will still be in place, etc...  The only win Trump will have to run on is Gorsuch.  And that's assuming Trump doesn't do any further damage with allies, enemies, and the Mueller investigation doesn't turn anything up.  

2 hours ago, downzy said:

The 2012 mid-term Senate elections had essentially the same map for Democrats as the upcoming 2018 elections and the party was still able to pick up two seats in 2012.  Granted, they benefited a lot from having Obama on the ticket, but I no longer expect 2018 to be a Senate landslide for Democrats as I did six months ago.  They'll be better funded and will run better candidates.  Then there's also Trump, who will likely split support amongst Republicans (loyal vs. disloyal).  Best thing for Democrats is if Trump remains President until after the 2018 midterms.

As for congressional (re)-districting, that's something done by the states, not by whoever controls the House.  2020 will be an important election year in terms of control for state legislatures since those elections will determine the next round of re-districting.  Again, if Trump is still the party nominee in 2020, that should benefit Democrats.  I know you think Trump wins in 2020, but I just don't see that happening.  Trump won in 2016 less because of his actions and more because enough Clinton-leaning voters sat home.  I don't see that same dynamic at play in 2020, especially if Democrats can find someone not loaded with so much baggage.  Granted, he'll still have the "deplorables," but those people who voted for him because they couldn't trust Hillary or believed that he could make America great again.  America won't be rebuilt in 2020, the debt will continue to grow, Obamacare will still be in place, tax reform will have likely failed, jobs won't have returned to America, NAFTA will still be in place, etc...  The only win Trump will have to run on is Gorsuch.  And that's assuming Trump doesn't do any further damage with allies, enemies, and the Mueller investigation doesn't turn anything up.  

What you fail to see, that no matter what, Republicans will never vote for a Democrat. Libertarian maybe, but not Democrat. Trump could be caught on video bangning Ivanka in the oval office while Melania and Kush are crying in the corner observing and they'll still vote for him.

Sure, the country will continue to go to shit in 2020. It is not going to fix itself and we can't if we are going to spend billions and billions on war and military industry. Republicans won't care, as long a liberal is not in office.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

16 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

What you fail to see, that no matter what, Republicans will never vote for a Democrat. Libertarian maybe, but not Democrat. Trump could be caught on video bangning Ivanka in the oval office while Melania and Kush are crying in the corner observing and they'll still vote for him.

Sure, the country will continue to go to shit in 2020. It is not going to fix itself and we can't if we are going to spend billions and billions on war and military industry. Republicans won't care, as long a liberal is not in office.

Democrats don't need Republicans to vote Democrat. They just need to mobilize their base in a way that Clinton failed to do last year. A bonus would be a repressed Republican base and/or right leaning independents who feel demoralized by the train wreck that is the Trump administration. 

1 hour ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

That's not really true.  I've got tons of family and friends in Pennsylvania, Florida...even West Virginia... who are moderates...lean slightly right or left, some registered Republican some Democratic, and they would cross party lines for the right candidate and have in the past.  Not everyone in this country is as divided as the media wants you to believe.  

Bannon back to running Breibart...I don't see him forgiving and forgetting how he was pushed out  of the White House so this should be interesting to see how Breibart treats Trump now......

Edited by classicrawker

5 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Bannon back to running Breibart...I don't see him forgiving and forgetting how he was pushed out so of the White House do this should be interesting to see how Breibart treats Trump now......

I'll have to look it up but supposedly there's already some quotes floating around like "The presidency we fought for and won is now over" ...supposedly from Bannon....then him also saying he has his weapons back (or something along those lines).....and Breitbart said something like Bannon is about to go off on the Trump administration.    

Edited by Kasanova King

Taken January 28th:

170818_SLATEST_Oval-AllGone-WIDE.jpg.CRO

Only two remain.  

If Pence ends up being President in the next year or two this will likely be one of the most iconic photos in modern day American politics.  It's a great photo that will taken even greater reverence should Trump not make it through his first term.  Even if he does, still a great photo.  

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, downzy said:

Taken January 28th:

170818_SLATEST_Oval-AllGone-WIDE.jpg.CRO

Only two remain.  

If Pence ends up being President in the next year or two this will likely be one of the most iconic photos in modern day American politics.  It's a great photo that will taken even greater reverence should Trump not make it through his first term.  Even if he does, still a great photo.  

DHh1dpxXoAEdmVB.jpg

Fixed.

:lol:

1 person likes this