downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

More banal nonsense...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rick-santorum-to-student-activists-dont-march-learn-cpr?ref=home

As tired as I am hearing the phrase "hopes and prayers," I think I'm growing less tolerant of the phrase "law abiding citizens."  I assume this means that people who can handle guns responsibly shouldn't be punished by the reckless behaviour of those who do not.  Except that most bad guys with a guns were at one point a good guy with a gun.  And as if simply having a law makes it good and beneficial to society.  Some laws are stupid or have outgrown the need or the time.  

Here's a pretty good summary of the biggest problem facing America when it comes to gun violence - admitting it has a problem:

"As I see it, the core issue is that America as a whole refuses to even admit it has a serious problem with guns and gun violence. And more than that, lawmakers continue acting like the solutions are some sort of mystery, as if there aren’t years of research and experiences in other countries that show restrictions on firearms can save lives."

It's great to see the marches this weekend, but I'm still fairly cynical.  If meaningful change ever happens, it will likely take decades.  Unfortunately you can't fix stupid; too often it has to be replaced.  Hopefully the next generations wash away the moral hazards that now plague this one.  

On 3/23/2018 at 8:17 AM, AtariLegend said:

I just read through Bolton's site.

Basically it's ramblings about;

Bomb Bangledesh

Bomb Venezuela

Bomb Bolivia 

Bomb Palestine

Bomb China

Bomb North Korea

Bomb Iran

Bomb Pakistan

Bomb Lebanon

Bomb Nigeria

Bomb Turkey

Bomb Tunsia

Bomb India in the future

Iraq was a success

Arm Israel

Arm Saudi Arabia

Arm Egypt

Sweden is a failed state

Spain is a failed state

Germany is a failed state

France is a failed state

Italy is a failed state

The United Kingdom is a failed state

Canada is a failed state

Don't trust Europe

Ramblings about Political correctness, migrants, Obama, the left, the Labor Party, Muslims and how anyone that isn't American or from Saudi Arabia/Israel is anti-semitic.

Guy must be Kasanova King's hero? 

Heck no.  I'm not that crazy. :lol:

And actually the Bolton hiring is sort of concerning, tbh.

8 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Highly. Trump morphing into W.

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Sort of concerning?!  sort of?! ......... Come on Mate, you sound like a GOP  Congressman  afraid to criticize Trump  for selecting his unqualified  ring kissers for his cabinet........................:lol:

Edited by classicrawker

11 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Highly. Trump morphing into W.

And the irony is that neither W nor his dad voted for Trump

Wasn't Trump favored by some of the old Republicans because he wasn't Bush? His war helped them lose the next two elections. Trump styling himself as that candidate that didn't have any part in the war really helped him IMO. Picking a guy like Bolton kind of reverses that. 

I recently saw Trump's cameo in Home Alone 2, in which he directs Culkin to the bathroom (probably to shoot up).

18 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I recently saw Trump's cameo in Home Alone 2, in which he directs Culkin to the bathroom (probably to shoot up).

You may have watched it, but you certainly didn't pay attention. Kevin asked Trump which way to the lobby. :lol:

Edited by luciusfunk

10 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

This is why musicians should stick to music and stay out of commenting on political issues.....

Nah, it doesn't bother me that he and other artists speak their minds.  I just reserve the right to judge them accordingly based on what they say.  

3 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

You may have watched it, but you certainly didn't pay attention. Kevin asked Trump which way to the lobby. :lol:

Face. Bovvered.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, downzy said:

Nah, it doesn't bother me that he and other artists speak their minds.  I just reserve the right to judge them accordingly based on what they say.  

Sure but to be fair it depends on your point of view.....You and I both know there are plenty of gun lovers and others who support his ranting point of view just as they agree with Ted  Nugent's neocon rantings......

I guess I would not mind so much as long as they don't do a political rant at their concert I attend....that includes those muscians whose politics I agree with.....stick to the music at concerts IMHO as that is what I paid to see......

Edited by classicrawker

11 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Sure but to be fair it depends on your point of view.....You and I both know there are plenty of gun lovers and others who support his ranting point of view just as they agree with Ted  Nugent's neocon rantings......

I guess I would not mind so much as long as they don't do a political rant at their concert I attend....that includes those muscians whose politics I agree with.....stick to the music at concerts IMHO as that is what I paid to see......

To each their own.  

I do think Nugent is douche and I don't agree with him on anything, I'd still sit through political rant to hear Stranglehold.  

2 hours ago, downzy said:

To each their own.  

I do think Nugent is douche and I don't agree with him on anything, I'd still sit through political rant to hear Stranglehold.  

I have been a big fan of Uncle Ted's music since I saw him open for Aerosmith at the Schaefer Music Fest in Central Park NYC in August of 1975 right around the time he released his first solo album.......

Never a fan of his politics but I went  to see  him several years ago at the Boston HOB hoping he would just play and  not bring his politics into the music  but he had his amps covered in guns and went into  a political rants after every song......When he did play, and not rant, the music kicked ass, and he still sounded excellent  but it really ruined the concert for me and to be honest I will never waste my money to go see him again..... If I want to hear Stranglehold I will pop in one of the several excellent live  bootlegs I  have and not have to listen to  his political nonsense....but as you said too each his own........

Edited by classicrawker

7 hours ago, classicrawker said:

I have been a big fan of Uncle Ted's music since I saw him open for Aerosmith at the Schaefer Music Fest in Central Park NYC in August of 1975 right around the time he released his first solo album.......

Never a fan of his politics but I went  to see  him several years ago at the Boston HOB hoping he would just play and  not bring his politics into the music  but he had his amps covered in guns and went into  a political rants after every song......When he did play, and not rant, the music kicked ass, and he still sounded excellent  but it really ruined the concert for me and to be honest I will never waste my money to go see him again..... If I want to hear Stranglehold I will pop in one of the several excellent live  bootlegs I  have and not have to listen to  his political nonsense....but as you said too each his own........

Only thing I'd hate to see is musicians pandering to local audiences with positions they don't actually hold.  At least Nugent would be consistent in his messaging.  Same with Axl.  I was at the Buffalo show when he make a Trump quip in front of pro-Trump audience.  

Plus it's difficult for me to cleave politics from much of the music I like.  Many artists in the 60s, 70s, 80s and into the 90s were political.  Rock N' Roll, punk, hip-hop - all providing political protest soundtracks.  Since the music is so laden with politics or social commentary, I expect the artists behind the music to speak their minds, whether it be at a concert or in interviews.  

6 hours ago, downzy said:

Only thing I'd hate to see is musicians pandering to local audiences with positions they don't actually hold.  At least Nugent would be consistent in his messaging.  Same with Axl.  I was at the Buffalo show when he make a Trump quip in front of pro-Trump audience.  

Plus it's difficult for me to cleave politics from much of the music I like.  Many artists in the 60s, 70s, 80s and into the 90s were political.  Rock N' Roll, punk, hip-hop - all providing political protest soundtracks.  Since the music is so laden with politics or social commentary, I expect the artists behind the music to speak their minds, whether it be at a concert or in interviews.  

Yeah everyone looks at it differently I guess. I don't mind political songs, like Neil Young sings, and if they want to take up a cause in the press I say go for it..... but ranting all concert about their political beliefs isn't for me....If a song is political and they make a comment about I get it...but  Stanglehold isn't political or  many of the songs Ted plays in his concerts.......no need to subject the fans to his political rantings before Wang Dang Sweet Poontang........:lol:

Never been a fan of Ted. He came in around a time the music got cheesy. I group him with shit bands like Foghat and Foreigner. 

3 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Never been a fan of Ted. He came in around a time the music got cheesy. I group him with shit bands like Foghat and Foreigner. 

Too each his own mate IMHO if you seperate the persona from the music his early albums are straight on RnR.....he did not become a cartoon character until his 4th album.....I am also a big Foghat fan and they played some amazing blues boogie as an off shoot of Savoy Brown.......Rod "the bottle" Price was one of the best slide players in rock..again IMHO.....

HLN said that President Trump called Roseanne Barr to congratulate her on the new season of Roseanne.  She didn't discuss what was said, only that she knows Donald for a long time and he helped her throughout her life.

The news reporter said that like her character, Roseanne voted for President Trump. I don't understand why everyone has to know who a person voted for? I thought it was private.

Whatever!

Now the leader of Japan wants to meet with Kim from North Korea. Anyone else seeing a pattern here. I think all of Asia is scared shitless of Kim, so they're all trying to talk to him.

I bet Trump doesn't meet with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't change his mind. NK will not stop making their nuclear weapons and that's a must before Trump meets with Kim. The man is a psycho case and should be put out of office, not talked to and have his ass kissed by other leaders.

Also, the US has to stop adding Saudi Arabia in the Yemen civil war. So many people have died and why do other countries have to poke their noses into this war, as well as Syria. I just think SA wants to get rid of all the other Arab nations, so they can rule. It makes me sick.

9 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Now the leader of Japan wants to meet with Kim from North Korea. Anyone else seeing a pattern here. I think all of Asia is scared shitless of Kim, so they're all trying to talk to him.

They call him the Prime Minister. It is not Kim they are afraid of. It is his sugar daddy Xi Jinping. 

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

He has certainly changed his plan. I suspect he is trying to pull the rug out from the United States by a pan-Asian policy (of course they're all terrified of him).

I agree with the last point made in this video, but probably not in the same way as intended: