Jump to content
downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

Recommended Posts

Credit where credit is due.  Nice to see someone other than Shep Smith call out Trump:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, downzy said:

Credit where credit is due.  Nice to see someone other than Shep Smith call out Trump:

 

There you go...looks like Fox News is "balanced" after all...:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

There you go...looks like Fox News is "balanced" after all...:lol:

BraveCharmingBlowfish-max-1mb.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

There you go...looks like Fox News is "balanced" after all...:lol:

Or maybe they are finally realizing they just can't defend this clown anymore with a straight face........;)

Even their biggest Trump nutswinger, Hannity, was stunned and left speechless during his interview with Giuliani  who stated  Trump did pay back Cohen for the Davis hush money payment despite Trumps earlier claim he knew nothing of the payment.........truth is stranger than fiction.......:lol:

Edited by classicrawker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to think this guy was offered the AG position, turned it down, and held out for Secretary of State:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/04/giuliani-trump-legal-team-apology-570631

"Giuliani in fact joined the president’s legal team two weeks ago, and had just told NBC News in an interview that “you’re not going to see daylight between the president and me.”"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't understand what's going on with Giuliani. I know he showed support for Trump from day one. I always look at it as two guys from New York who knew each other for years.

I've always been a big fan of Giuliani. Now he making a fool of himself on T.V. I don't know him anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Padme said:

I really don't understand what's going on with Giuliani. I know he showed support for Trump from day one. I always look at it as two guys from New York who knew each other for years.

I've always been a big fan of Giuliani. Now he making a fool of himself on T.V. I don't know him anymore.

Everybody who gets to close to Trump becomes an idiot. It catches somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giuliani has always been an ass.

It is likely he ends this whole thing though - with an indictment against Trump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the purpose of withdrawing from the Iran Deal? Other than destroy whatever trust we had with Iran? We are supposed to prevent the further development and spread of nuclear weapons. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

"New York Times slams AWOL Pompeo, then learns he was rescuing Americans"

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/05/09/new-york-times-slams-awol-pompeo-then-learns-was-rescuing-americans.html

 

Some quality, non biased reporting there. Smh.

 

I'm not sure what the problem is or was here.  The day Trump decides to irresponsibly tear up one of the greatest arms-control treaties in the last forty years his Secretary of State was no where to be found.  It's not as though the NYT or anyone else outside of a few State Department officials and Trump knew where he was.

As the old adage goes, "just wait."  If Trump's decision to back out of the Iran deal results in a war in the middle east, will Pompeo's trip to North Korea still be viewed as a worthwhile exercise?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

What is the purpose of withdrawing from the Iran Deal? Other than destroy whatever trust we had with Iran? We are supposed to prevent the further development and spread of nuclear weapons. 

The only explanation is that it was something Obama approved and accomplished under his presidency.

It was an emotional decision by Trump, not one based on any level of understanding about the deal.  I would wager $1k that Trump could not speak about the deal with any level of specificity for more than two minutes. 

Just a dumb decision by a dumb person that will likely result in a dumb outcome.

Why would any other country trust the United States at this point?   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

What is the purpose of withdrawing from the Iran Deal? Other than destroy whatever trust we had with Iran? We are supposed to prevent the further development and spread of nuclear weapons. 

 The biggest problem is the contradiction. Trump is against the Iran deal. But he is willing to strike a similar deal with NK? Besides there is or could be legal issues. What if someone (Let's say John Kerry) goes to Court to challenge the President decision? I don't know if it can be done. I'm just asking. And last but not least Trump pissed off key allies. The UK, France and Germany asked him not to do it. And they plan to keep the deal alive in Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

then learns he was rescuing Americans

A Hawaiian judge orders their return to North Korea.

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be astonishing if Trump's one-time affair with Stormy Daniels twelve years ago somehow brought down his entire Presidency.

I've stayed away from the prediction game relating to the investigation into Russia/obstruction investigation.  Since we know so little it's impossible one way or another how it's going to shake out.

But the latest reports of Trump's lawyer fixer taking in millions of dollars from reputable and non-reputable sources for peddling influence with Trump raises an eyebrow.  This, to me, is what a smoking gun would and might look like.  And while it's not necessarily a crime to sell access with one's own relationships to key political or business figures, Cohn's involvement is suspicious for a couple of reasons.  As Henry Grabar at Slate points out:

  • Not normal: the fact that Cohen did not make his activity public by “hanging a shingle” as a lobbyist. “Doing it all in secret, never having done it before, while simultaneously working for a public official, and the public official being the president—these are new glosses on an old profession,” [Paul Seamus Ryan, a vice president at Common Cause, a government watchdog] observed. Not normal: trading off being not just a well-connected person but the sitting president’s lawyer. “Another thing that’s not normal is for a president’s lawyer to set up an LLC and make a hush money payment to a porn star.” Common Cause has filed complaints with the Department of Justice and the Federal Election Commission arguing that the Stormy Daniels payment, which was made in October 2016 from Cohen’s newly formed Essential Consultants LLC, was a campaign finance violation.
  • “What’s the difference between these payments and lobbying, campaign finances, any of that?” asked John Wonderlich, the executive director of the Sunlight Foundation. “These payments do away with the entire artifice of a broker or a campaign, it’s just pure pay to play. 

What I find interesting is the various excuses many of these companies have trotted out in explaining why they were paying Cohen.  AT&T wanted a read on who Trump is as a man, Novartis wanted Cohn to consult them on the Affordable Care Act, a South Korean defence company paid Cohen $150k for his "accounting expertise."  The best part of the Novartis pay off is there insistence that they only took one meeting with him since they quickly realized he knew nothing about Obamacare.  But then they continued to pay him $100k a month for twelve straight months.  Hmmm...   Then there's the anonymous Novartis employee who made it known that Cohen had first approached Novartis and promised access to Trump.

Where all of this comes into contact with the Russian investigation is that Cohen received more than $1 million from an American company that is being reported is controlled by Russian Oligarch Viktor Vekselberg (who himself has deep ties to Putin).  

Again, it would be a stretch to conclude anything at this point.  I'm not sure irony or karma is the operative word here, but it would be something if Trump's efforts to silence Stormy Daniels on the eve of the election gave way to a deeper investigation into Trump's finances and his ties with his supposed lawyer that seems increasingly in hot water.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, downzy said:

The only explanation is that it was something Obama approved and accomplished under his presidency.

It was an emotional decision by Trump, not one based on any level of understanding about the deal.  I would wager $1k that Trump could not speak about the deal with any level of specificity for more than two minutes. 

Just a dumb decision by a dumb person that will likely result in a dumb outcome.

Why would any other country trust the United States at this point?   

 

Is this because the baby has been wrong about Obama's birth certificate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Padme said:

 The biggest problem is the contradiction. Trump is against the Iran deal. But he is willing to strike a similar deal with NK? Besides there is or could be legal issues. What if someone (Let's say John Kerry) goes to Court to challenge the President decision? I don't know if it can be done. I'm just asking. And last but not least Trump pissed off key allies. The UK, France and Germany asked him not to do it. And they plan to keep the deal alive in Europe.

 

Yes, let us watch how more irrelevant this country will become by the end of his term. The only reason we have been the world's sole superpower is because we had a string of allies that have been willing to worth with us. Military and economy are just tools of diplomacy. But if we can't worth with others, who will want to work with us? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, downzy said:

It would be astonishing if Trump's one-time affair with Stormy Daniels twelve years ago somehow brought down his entire Presidency.

I've stayed away from the prediction game relating to the investigation into Russia/obstruction investigation.  Since we know so little it's impossible one way or another how it's going to shake out.

But the latest reports of Trump's lawyer fixer taking in millions of dollars from reputable and non-reputable sources for peddling influence with Trump raises an eyebrow.  This, to me, is what a smoking gun would and might look like.  And while it's not necessarily a crime to sell access with one's own relationships to key political or business figures, Cohn's involvement is suspicious for a couple of reasons.  As Henry Grabar at Slate points out:

  • Not normal: the fact that Cohen did not make his activity public by “hanging a shingle” as a lobbyist. “Doing it all in secret, never having done it before, while simultaneously working for a public official, and the public official being the president—these are new glosses on an old profession,” [Paul Seamus Ryan, a vice president at Common Cause, a government watchdog] observed. Not normal: trading off being not just a well-connected person but the sitting president’s lawyer. “Another thing that’s not normal is for a president’s lawyer to set up an LLC and make a hush money payment to a porn star.” Common Cause has filed complaints with the Department of Justice and the Federal Election Commission arguing that the Stormy Daniels payment, which was made in October 2016 from Cohen’s newly formed Essential Consultants LLC, was a campaign finance violation.
  • “What’s the difference between these payments and lobbying, campaign finances, any of that?” asked John Wonderlich, the executive director of the Sunlight Foundation. “These payments do away with the entire artifice of a broker or a campaign, it’s just pure pay to play. 

What I find interesting is the various excuses many of these companies have trotted out in explaining why they were paying Cohen.  AT&T wanted a read on who Trump is as a man, Novartis wanted Cohn to consult them on the Affordable Care Act, a South Korean defence company paid Cohen $150k for his "accounting expertise."  The best part of the Novartis pay off is there insistence that they only took one meeting with him since they quickly realized he knew nothing about Obamacare.  But then they continued to pay him $100k a month for twelve straight months.  Hmmm...   Then there's the anonymous Novartis employee who made it known that Cohen had first approached Novartis and promised access to Trump.

Where all of this comes into contact with the Russian investigation is that Cohen received more than $1 million from an American company that is being reported is controlled by Russian Oligarch Viktor Vekselberg (who himself has deep ties to Putin).  

Again, it would be a stretch to conclude anything at this point.  I'm not sure irony or karma is the operative word here, but it would be something if Trump's efforts to silence Stormy Daniels on the eve of the election gave way to a deeper investigation into Trump's finances and his ties with his supposed lawyer that seems increasingly in hot water.  

 

 

A lot of funny money being funneled through Cohen...rather strange these Russian individuals just giving him all this $$$. Even Fox News can't ignore this this monkey business.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-judicial-analyst-issues-230837866.html

Pence calling for Mueller to wrap up his investigation but when asked about  the Cohen payment he called it a private matter and he knew nothing about it...nice try Mike but Mueller isn;t going naywhere anytime soon........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he pulls his policies out of his arse on a daily basis. He must think, ''what other peace initiatives can I mess up today?''. Good Friday Agreement next. You've heard it here first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×