downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

7 hours ago, downzy said:

Trump says it's his honour to meet with Kim only a day after his key economic advisers suggest that Trudeau stabbed Trump in the back (he didn't, more like the other way around) and that there's a special place in hell of Trudeau.  

Friendly with murderous dictators, a dick to leaders of democratic allies.  

Nice President you guys got down there.

It is important to reach some agreement with NK. But one thing is a document. And NK respecting that agreement is something else. Somebody has to verify that in fact NK nuclear weapons and their program are coming to an end.

Trump is pissed of with Canada and allies because they just have other opinion and ideas. Trump is acting like a spoilt brat. He didn't get things his way. So he told everyone to fuck off. Needless to say the President of the U.S. shouldn't act in such a way. 

Never thought of it this way.  Guess we had it coming...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/finally-a-president-with-the-guts-to-stand-up-to-canada/2018/06/11/474d948c-6db1-11e8-bd50-b80389a4e569_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aa60aefa6737

Finally, a president with the guts to stand up to Canada

O Canada: You had it coming, eh. 

They inflicted Nickelback on us. We did nothing.

They sent us Justin Bieber. We turned the other cheek.

They were responsible for one abomination after the other: Poutine. Diphthong vowels. Hawaiian pizza. Instant mashed potatoes. Ted Cruz. 

Still, we did not retaliate — until now.

Finally, the United States has a president with the brains and the guts to stand up to the menace of the north. This weekend President Trump called Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau “meek,” “very dishonest & weak” for protesting U.S. tariffs. Trump’s trade adviser said “there’s a special place in hell” for Trudeau, and Trump’s economic adviser said Trudeau “stabbed us in the back” and is guilty of “betrayal” and “double-crossing.”

How do you feel now, Canada? Or, to put it in a language you understand: How’s she bootin’er? 

Trudeau earned his place in the underworld for some truly appalling rhetoric, saying “we’re polite, we’re reasonable, but we also will not be pushed around.” Offensive! He also found it “kind of insulting” that the Trump administration said it was imposing tariffs on Canadian goods “for a national security reason” given that Canadians “stood shoulder to shoulder with American soldiers in far off lands in conflicts from the First World War onward.”

Canada is not a national security threat to the United States? Au contraire, as they say in (very foreign) Quebec.

Trudeau conveniently omits the invasion of Detroit from Canada in 1812. And there was that ugly dispute in 1844 when soon-to-be President James K. Polk wanted the U.S. border to extend all the way north to Alaska at 54 degrees, 40 minutes latitude (slogan: “Fifty-four forty or fight!”) but was forced to accept the 49th parallel, a humiliation that denied us Vancouver and many great Chinese restaurants.

And let’s not even get started about the softwood lumber dispute. Too painful.

Trump bravely punished Canada by withdrawing the United States from the communique of the weekend’s Group of Seven meeting, which was hosted by Trudeau. The communique Trump rejected is loaded with objectionable provisions such as “a clean environment,” “a healthy, prosperous, sustainable and fair future for all,” “quality work environments,” “a more peaceful and secure world” and “ending violence against girls and women.” In other words, it was like all the other bad, terrible, crazily made, one-sided, miserable deals that make us the laughingstock of the world — such as the North American Free Trade Agreement, the ­Trans-Pacific Partnership, NATO, the Paris climate accord and the Iran nuclear deal.

The communique was particularly hostile to Trump in its call for “Russia to cease its destabilizing behavior to undermine democratic systems,” condemnation of Russia’s “illegal annexation of Crimea” and commitment to “a strong stance against human rights abuse.” Such language targets the very countries Trump has been courting. In a further insult, the other G-7 leaders had no enthusiasm for Trump’s call for readmitting Russia, which was kicked out of the club for invading Ukraine. The G-7 leaders instead scowled at Trump, called his actions a “disappointment” and criticized his “fits of anger.” 

Inexplicably, these foreigners are not putting America First. That’s why Trump needs to quit the group and make his own G-8 — the Great Eight — with more sympathetic world leaders:

Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines, who enjoys “a great relationship” with Trump as he deploys extralegal killing squads.

North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, who is “very open” and “very honorable” in running the most repressive regime on Earth.

Egyptian dictator Abdel Fatah al-Sissi, who established himself as a “fantastic guy” with his bloody crackdown on dissidents.

The Saudi regime, which has been “tremendous” as it purges business leaders and critics.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who is “getting very high marks” as he jails opponents.

China’s premier, Xi Jinping, who did something “great” in making himself president for life.

And, of course, Russian President Vladimir Putin, “getting an A” for his leadership and receiving a congratulatory call from Trump after his “election.”

There is no room in this G-8 for Britain, France, Germany, Italy or Japan — and certainly not Canada. Canadians say “Sorry” for everything. But Trudeau not only failed to apologize to Trump, he won praise from his political opponents for defying Trump. This is a clear and present danger to the United States. Given Canadians’ well-known instability — their currency is called the “loonie” — there can be only one solution: We are going to build a wall from Maine to Alaska — and Ottawa is going to pay.

Fifty-four forty or fight! MAGA! Take off, hosers.

• Haha 1

I don't even get it! Poutine and Hawaiian pizza are incredibly awesome! As is Quebec the ladies of rural Quebec. The band 54/40 is pretty groovy too! :lol:

And what, Murica forgot about Drake?

bGd2S6kh.jpg

But in all seriousness this signed document with very little actionable directives and no scheduled follow-ups could in fact be what leads to expanded conflict: Trump just needs to 'feel' that some vague agreement hasn't been lived up to. And then whats his option to save face?

Edited by soon

Find me someone on CNN that's this bad and then we can talk about both networks being equally shitty:

• Like 1

My father actually likes Nickelback and other Canadian bands who are equally as bad such as Theory of a Deadman.

His ringtone is Bad Girlfriend and no im not even joking. Add that to the reasons for tariffs. :lol:

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

My father actually likes Nickelback and other Canadian bands who are equally as bad such as Theory of a Deadman.

His ringtone is Bad Girlfriend and no im not even joking. Add that to the reasons for tariffs. :lol:

I'll see that and raise you a Limp Bizkit :lol:

What migrant children in a Texas shelter are exposed to when they arrive:

mural_iealog

In fairness, other Presidents' murals are painted elsewhere.  

But: " The San Antonio Express News reports the depictions of Obama and other presidents are accompanied by “inspiring quotes” about immigration; however, the Trump mural does not, a spokesman told the newspaper."

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/kids-in-immigrant-detention-center-effectively-incarcerated-1255334979617

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-used-his-charitable-foundation-like-a-personal-checkbook-lawsuit-alleges?ref=home

New York AG sues Trump and his family over misses of charitable foundation.  

Cue the twitter rant in 3... 2... 1...

Not quite getting it, is he?  Doesn't matter how much the foundation paid out, but who the funds went to.  Dumb.

When I allow myself to think about Trump, my brain starts to freeze up when it thinks about all the reasons this guy is a lousy excuse for a president and a man in general. It’s like I’ve overloaded the computer and it’s started to crash. 

I live in an area of the country where 99% of the people who will speak their opinion on politics publicly are loyal to Trump til their dying day, and it’s starting to drive me a little crazy. I just can’t connect with where their head is. These people are not bad people, mostly. I don’t get how they can continue to support such an awful man. We’re talking human rights abuses, here. We’re talking about kissing the ass of a brutal dictator who, just a year ago, sent back one of our nation’s sons as a vegetable after being senselessly beaten, so that he could be made a message to the world and die, suffering, in front of his family. Trump humiliates me as an American, and he repulses me as a human being. I live in a place that’s all about trying to out-patriot your neighbors. Yet the people support this? I find this sickeningly unAmerican. 

This leads me to another thing. This whole copyright on patriotism thing that the Republicans have imposed on the people of America until they started to believe it has got to stop. That’s not to say it should be reassigned to the Democrats, because that wouldn’t be productive either. Any opinion that is dissenting from the Republican platform is painted as unpatriotic. It’s a fraud and it’s a bully tactic akin to McCarthyism. 

Edited by DirtyDeeds
  • Like 1

Please can someone explain to me why shouty people in the US don’t like immigrants, other than “but they’re brown people”.

The excuses for thinly veiled racism used in the UK don’t apply to the US as much. You have plenty of space. You need folks to do the jobs you won’t. More people creates more jobs. More people being bilingual is a good thing for the economy and diplomacy. Also, aren’t all the white folks proud of their European heritage anyway? What am I missing, so it’s justifiable to remove a breastfeeding baby from its mother?

53 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Please can someone explain to me why shouty people in the US don’t like immigrants, other than “but they’re brown people”.

The excuses for thinly veiled racism used in the UK don’t apply to the US as much. You have plenty of space. You need folks to do the jobs you won’t. More people creates more jobs. More people being bilingual is a good thing for the economy and diplomacy. Also, aren’t all the white folks proud of their European heritage anyway? What am I missing, so it’s justifiable to remove a breastfeeding baby from its mother?

I'd say the UK excuses are just as irrelevant in the UK. That's why our farmers* are shitting their pants over Brexit as migrant labour is just as important over here. 

I take solace in the face of racists brexiteers that I've imported my own trilingual Mexican and bred her to water down the anglo-saxon bloodline just a little. :lol: 

*See also NHS.

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

American nativism has often been directed against (white) European migrants as much as anybody, predominately the Irish and Italians. Frequently throughout her history, the United States went through bouts of nativist anti-Irish and anti-Italian hysteria (somewhat conflated with anti-Catholicism).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

When the only super power on Earth has middle class workers speaking out against having health care - for themselves - it becomes a sometimes futile exercise to try and understand any line of reasoning.  

I believe that a lot of it comes down to the same things the UK is dealing with. With the neo-liberalization of the global economy. Free trade causing job loss, and blame being misplaced in ignorance by an intentionally dumbed down populous. "First they stole our jobs, now they are invading Fortress America!" And given that many immigrants work in tech and engineering - good paying careers - we get unemployed auto sector workers going: "How'd they get so smart in their shit hole countries: America is number one in everything, so shouldnt I be a smarty pants engineer?!? They must be cheating!"

And Muslims - who are all terrorists (a necessary belief for the population to support a 100 year War On Terror with torture and all) - include all Persians, Secular and Democratic Arabs, Christian Kurdish, Christian Palestinian, Hindi's, all Sri Lankins, all Indians, Spainish people, mezzo-Americans, etc. Even white people who look like the Eurocentric Jesus figure are at risk. So then theres the same fear of being somehow forced to live under Sharia Law that you see expressed in UK as well.

But the US has one thing that is unique to itself in addition to geographic isolation: A blurred line between their Nation State and "God." Where one ends and the other begins is almost non existent in far too many folks minds. So those who worship and the alter of the American Civic Religion fear that Muslims will destroy their God via destroying the State (an agenda they arrive with). In this mindset, tax dollars used to land refugees is literally an attack on God because those Good Christian Dollars should've supported the citizens of... well, "God." So chants like "you will not replace us" are speaking not only about jobs, but about being replaced as Gods presence on Earth. The Western Chauvinism of today seeks to suggest that Muslims and women are trying to replace white men as leaders (high priests) but that if Muslims and women were capable of doing so they would have built the "best way of life known to man kind" on their own, in their own land. Its Providence that white men living in 'liberty' are in charge, and Gods will needs to be defended, say some of the anti-immigration people!

But then we get to the weirdest dark corners of the Anti immigrant psyche: Its the State bringing in Immigrants. So given that God is essentially the State, Gods Nation must have been already infiltrated by a secret cabal of neo-marxists (read: Jews)....thats the only explanation! These are pro-Israel/anti-semites :facepalm:. Its a pressure cooker of paranoia wherein God is the State and the State is acting against God.

Edited by soon

Parents seperated from their children, put in tents in 100 degree weather. When are they going to build the gas chambers?

11 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'd say the UK excuses are just as irrelevant in the UK. That's why our farmers* are shitting their pants over Brexit as migrant labour is just as important over here. 

I take solace in the face of racists brexiteers that I've imported my own trilingual Mexican and bred her to water down the anglo-saxon bloodline just a little. :lol: 

*See also NHS.

I am sure there will be plenty of college students that are willing to pick fruit for nothing.

On June 14, 2018 at 12:03 PM, downzy said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-used-his-charitable-foundation-like-a-personal-checkbook-lawsuit-alleges?ref=home

New York AG sues Trump and his family over misses of charitable foundation.  

Cue the twitter rant in 3... 2... 1...

Not quite getting it, is he?  Doesn't matter how much the foundation paid out, but who the funds went to.  Dumb.

This shit is so fucked up. 

12 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

I got called a sand hooray for tolerance! when I was just pumping gas, once. I believe most people are good, but racism here is still rampant

Space Force! Yes, that's not a bad 80's movie. It's actually real. :facepalm:

Is this Space Force just Trump taking another page from Reagans play book? Reagans Star Wars program and his UN speech about ET Alien invasion?

Or is this more likely to do with the fact that States like China seek to mine celestial bodies which the US wants? Not to mention that free market capitalism is finally technologically and logistically able to lay claim to outer space and its resources. Obama signed the Space Resource Exploration and Utilization Act, putting free market use of ET resources in motion. Some legal scholars suggest this breaks UN Treaty. In any case, a force to protect US interests is par for the course. :facepalm:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/space-mining-us-treaty-1.3339104

H3 mining on moon:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/197784-china-is-going-to-mine-the-moon-for-helium-3-fusion-fuel

https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Preparing_for_the_Future/Space_for_Earth/Energy/Helium-3_mining_on_the_lunar_surface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94rEqHP9dOQ

Mining asteroids for precious metals:

https://qz.com/47232/the-crazy-economics-of-mining-asteroids-for-gold-and-platinum/

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/15/mining-asteroids-could-be-worth-trillions-of-dollars.html

UN Outer Space Treaty regarding militarization of space and celestial bodies as well as banning the commercialization of celestial bodies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

Edited by soon