downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

fyi Jared Kushner owns that company.

You mean Observer. Article seems biased but the facts speak for themselves. Hillary was their pick. 

I think Time Warner owns CNN? 

Even the Cohen thing seems mispresented. He was lying about something that wasn’t illegal and never actually happened. It just doesn’t look good for Trump’s russian business ties to be public in an election run? I guess it’s delay tactic, Trump was probably talking about shutting Mueller down.

Maybe same with Epstein case. It wouldn’t help for certain things to even be hinted at. Voters are too subjective, to keep up on the facts is like a full time job. Tying Epstein to Trump is a good political move.

They could probably get Trump on lying about something that isn’t a crime but make it look like Russian collusion? 

Edited by wasted

3 hours ago, wasted said:

It looks like too many rich and powerful people didn’t want to be connected to Epstein. And he had a pile of lawyers. Acosta wasn’t partying with Epstein was he?

To me he seems like the scapegoat for the whole thing, that a lot of people knew about. Whoever was in his position would probably have to do the same. So many powerful people have turned a blind eye to this it hard to pin it on one guy. 

You’d think though that once you’d being caught up in such a horrific situation you would just chill out but Acosta just keeps on going. Joining the Trump admin isn’t exactly laying low. 

If Epstein starts talking you don’t know who will get caught up in it. 

It definitely feels like Epstein was too well connected and many called in favours to make this go away.  If Epstein wasn't placated, who knows how much trouble he could have caused for those who cavorted with.  

40 minutes ago, downzy said:

It definitely feels like Epstein was too well connected and many called in favours to make this go away.  If Epstein wasn't placated, who knows how much trouble he could have caused for those who cavorted with.  

I can’t see how it’s anything else. There’s no reason for Acosta not to just give him 10 years and forget it. 

I thought when this paperback came out people would notice

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Filthy-Rich-Billionaires-Scandal-Shocking/dp/1455542687/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1543812899&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=filthy+rich&dpPl=1&dpID=51RJwOvqZJL&ref=plSrch

there was a movie planned too but I’m not sure it got made. 

Edited by wasted

Wall Street and the post office are closed tomorrow to honor Bush. Well the lazy shits should honor him by working.

Unbelievable.

In 2016 it was North Carolina.  This year, it's Wisconsin and Michigan Republicans flagrantly thwarting elections and the will of the people:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/12/republican-democracy-stress-test-michigan-wisconsin-north-carolina.html

n_maddow_dwisconsin_181203_1920x1080.120

Another naked power grab by Republicans.  The truth is becoming increasingly clear that Republicans don't give a shit about democracy.  They only care about winning and having their way with no respect for electoral outcomes.

What worries me most isn't these petty power grab attempts (though they are worrisome), but that they will provoke a worse response by the Democratic party.  Largely up until now Democrats have proven themselves to be the adults in the room, but that might change should Republicans continue to play by a different set of rules.  The breakdown of political norms and traditions are what lead to autocrats and dictators taking over.  

And remember all the Republican talk about voter fraud?  Back in North Carolina it turns out there was cause to worry about the issue, but only with respect to the Republican side of the ledger:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/30/18119546/north-carolina-9th-district-election-board-bladen-county-leslie-mccrae-dowless

Apparently ballot stuffing is a Republican thing nowadays.  

• Like 1

We'll probably get some announcements in the next few weeks. Be expect to hear news from Biden and Harris about whether or not they will be running. I think they will almost certainly run. 

3 hours ago, downzy said:

In 2016 it was North Carolina.  This year, it's Wisconsin and Michigan Republicans flagrantly thwarting elections and the will of the people:

I have a front row seat to the fuckery in NC - and its truly messed up. Roy Cooper rightfully won - McCrory was awful (Transgender bathroom BS/handled the coal ash spill very poorly/did some hidden shit with taxes). We thankfully voted down 2 amendments on the ballot that would have further stripped our governor of power and give it legislators.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

It's a disgrace that he was allowed in the building. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

It's a disgrace that he was allowed in the building. 

It is a disgrace he is our President.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

It is a disgrace he is our President.  

it is a disgrace you lot voted him in 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bit risky of Obama, sticking his wife next to Bill, isn't it? 

TBH I don't think even Bill would want to touch her she looks a bit like a bloke.

Wasn't there a conspiracy that she was a fella?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

it is a disgrace you lot voted him in 

The American people didn't pick him. The electoral college did.

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Rumor has it Kelly is out in a few days.

That's been the rumour for almost a year now.  We'll see if it actually happens this time.  

6 hours ago, downzy said:

That's been the rumour for almost a year now.  We'll see if it actually happens this time.  

There's also rumors that Mattis is on the chopping block. Isn't he the only Trump cabinet member with bi-partisan support?

1 hour ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

There's also rumors that Mattis is on the chopping block. Isn't he the only Trump cabinet member with bi-partisan support?

I think Dan Coats, Director of National Intelligence, is widely supported.  But yeah, there's not many besides Mattis.  

Federal prosecutors recommend 'substantial' time for Trump's lawyer. Their definition of substantial time, I have heard, was three and a half years.

Not really knowledgeable about the whole legal circus going on, but on what planet is three and a half years 'substantial' time?

Pluto?

2 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Federal prosecutors recommend 'substantial' time for Trump's lawyer. Their definition of substantial time, I have heard, was three and a half years.

Not really knowledgeable about the whole legal circus going on, but on what planet is three and a half years 'substantial' time?

Pluto?

Federal guidelines for the crimes Cohen admitted guilt to is 4 to 5 years.  That is fairly substantial for a first time offence.