Jump to content
downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, -W.A.R- said:

Just watch Live PD - I swear 90% of the show is them harassing people over weed.

Such a waste of time and resources. 

I dont use it myself but i agree with you. 

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Empire actor Jussie Smollett was assaulted while walking on the sidewalk in Chicago by two men who beat him, poured what seems to be bleach on his skin and put a rope around his neck. All the while yelling racist and homophobic slurs and "MAGA Country." Smollett is black, Jewish and gay.

Hate Crimes have increased a staggering 17% since the MAGA effect set in. Doesnt seem likely that 2018 numbers will show any decrease, either. 

"FBI data released last year showed a 17 percent increase in hate crimes between 2016 and 2017. Hate crimes based on race, ethnicity or ancestry were the most common, making up about 60 percent of the total. The FBI's latest report also found 15.8 percent of hate crime offenses in 2017 stemmed from sexual orientation bias. Between 2016 and 2017, hate crimes motivated by racial bias rose about 18 percent and attacks on LGBTQ individuals rose 5 percent, according to the FBI."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jussie-smollett-hospitalized-empire-actor-attacked-maga-hat-possible-hate-crime-chicago-2019-01-29/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/empire-actor-attack-1.4997245

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, soon said:

Empire actor Jussie Smollett was assaulted while walking on the sidewalk in Chicago by two men who beat him, poured what seems to be bleach on his skin and put a rope around his neck. All the while yelling racist and homophobic slurs and "MAGA Country." Smollett is black, Jewish and gay.

Hate Crimes have increased a staggering 17% since the MAGA effect set in. Doesnt seem likely that 2018 numbers will show any decrease, either. 

"FBI data released last year showed a 17 percent increase in hate crimes between 2016 and 2017. Hate crimes based on race, ethnicity or ancestry were the most common, making up about 60 percent of the total. The FBI's latest report also found 15.8 percent of hate crime offenses in 2017 stemmed from sexual orientation bias. Between 2016 and 2017, hate crimes motivated by racial bias rose about 18 percent and attacks on LGBTQ individuals rose 5 percent, according to the FBI."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jussie-smollett-hospitalized-empire-actor-attacked-maga-hat-possible-hate-crime-chicago-2019-01-29/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/empire-actor-attack-1.4997245

Black Jewish and Gay .. Poor guy never stood a chance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, downzy said:

Well it's good that there's an out for law enforcement, it's a little concerning that it's left up to the individual cops to decide who gets a ticket and who gets taken to jail.  You just know that in some cases there's likely a racial/income variable when it comes to making that decision.

 

Almost like a lottery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Howard Schultz goes home. All he is going to do is split the Democratic vote and give Trump his second term. Idiots need to realize that a third party will never be elected President in this current electoral system. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Black Jewish and Gay .. Poor guy never stood a chance 

Yeah, its a dangerous and scary time. According to reports Smollett transported himself to hospital after enduring this (maybe walked?). To me that is the real display of power in this event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I hope Howard Schultz goes home. All he is going to do is split the Democratic vote and give Trump his second term. Idiots need to realize that a third party will never be elected President in this current electoral system. 

I wouldn't mind if he waited until 2024.  I'd be curious to see what a "viable" third-party candidate could do to a system that desperately needs disruption.  

But not at the risk of keeping Trump in power for another four years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump's State of the Union address is next Tuesday.

I'm sure he'll talk about the government shutdown and his wall plans.

Americans are getting sick and tired of all this bullshit between the political parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Trump's State of the Union address is next Tuesday.

I'm sure he'll talk about the government shutdown and his wall plans.

Americans are getting sick and tired of all this bullshit between the political parties.

No they aren't.

If they were, they'd vote for the party that isn't a travesty of ignorance and stupidity.  

Example A:

https://www.axios.com/mcconnell-slams-election-day-holiday-proposal-democrat-power-grab-2c3fd15c-0ced-4f5d-ada7-bb5cf74ec2e6.html

Making election day a national holiday to ensure everyone can vote is now considered a power grab.  FFS.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all things the senate could have rebuked Trump for, its pulling troops that ruffled their feathers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trumps said "Human Trafficking" four times by the 2:13 mark. He's talking about it in relation to the border wall. The suggestion being that the organizers of the caravans are Human Traffickers? Human Trafficking is when people are moved from one location to another with out informed consent. They are controlled by deception, lack of options and force - or all the above. The end goal being to profit from some variation of forced labour. That is obviously not the case with irregular arrivals who come here intentionally, seeking immigration or asylum, in no small part due to the mess that US foreign policy has created in their homelands.

He means "human smuggling" which may or may not be involved on a case by case basis. Who may or may not constrain the choices of their clients, on a case by case basis. And who dont march their clients down the road in a caravan, free to give interviews, if there is any malicious intent towards the clients.

Human Trafficking is a huge issue. The USA is documented as being a Source, Transit and Destination Country for victims of Trafficking. Compared to the severity and scope of the crimes, there are very low figures for arrests and convictions of Human Traffickers in USA. Wish Trump would focus more on the actual brutal criminal underworld of Trafficking rather then misappropriate the term out of ignorance or to fuel hysteria about Migrants.

Edited by soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

 

So to paraphrase. “Hhhhnnnnnggghhhhhhhh! Durrrrrrrrr! Herpaderp!”  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-02-03 at 9:13 PM, Dazey said:

So to paraphrase. “Hhhhnnnnnggghhhhhhhh! Durrrrrrrrr! Herpaderp!”  

You're not far off...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/2/4/18210412/trump-news-interview-syria-nonsense

"CBS’s Margaret Brennan asked Trump about this contradiction in the interview, pointing out that “you’re telegraphing your retreat” from Syria. Here’s Trump’s full answer to Brennan’s challenge. I have omitted nothing:

"I’m not telegraphing anything. No, no, no. There’s a difference. When President Obama pulled out of Iraq in theory we had Iraq. In other words, we had Iraq. We never had Syria because President Obama never wanted to violate the red line in the sand. So we never had Syria. I was the one that actually violated the red line when I hit Syria with 59 Tomahawk missiles, if you remember. But President Obama chose not to do that. When he chose not to do that, he showed tremendous weakness. But we didn’t have Syria whereas we had Iraq. So when he did what he did in Iraq, which was a mistake. Being in Iraq was a mistake. Okay. Being in Iraq — it was a big mistake to go — one of the greatest mistakes going into the Middle East that our country has ever made. One of the greatest mistakes that we’ve ever made."

This is a failure in basic democratic accountability: A leader of democracy is so incapable of answering core policy questions that he offers word salad and expects the public to eat it up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight is the State of the Union address by President Trump.

anyone going to watch it?

usually after the speech the news people come on explain what the President just said like we're all stupid and don't understand anything. I really hate those guys. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, downzy said:

No they aren't.

If they were, they'd vote for the party that isn't a travesty of ignorance and stupidity.  

Example A:

https://www.axios.com/mcconnell-slams-election-day-holiday-proposal-democrat-power-grab-2c3fd15c-0ced-4f5d-ada7-bb5cf74ec2e6.html

Making election day a national holiday to ensure everyone can vote is now considered a power grab.  FFS.

Well, like most Americans we hoped for someone to help the working class people out. Unfortunately, Trump is a good businessman but not very good with actual real people.

I honestly don't think any politician can be trusted to do what they say they will do. There are too many other politicians they have to deal with and this is why nothing gets done.

I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else but America. Faults and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else but America. Faults and all.

Why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Trump is a good businessman.

No he isn’t! :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, downzy said:

You're not far off...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/2/4/18210412/trump-news-interview-syria-nonsense

"CBS’s Margaret Brennan asked Trump about this contradiction in the interview, pointing out that “you’re telegraphing your retreat” from Syria. Here’s Trump’s full answer to Brennan’s challenge. I have omitted nothing:

"I’m not telegraphing anything. No, no, no. There’s a difference. When President Obama pulled out of Iraq in theory we had Iraq. In other words, we had Iraq. We never had Syria because President Obama never wanted to violate the red line in the sand. So we never had Syria. I was the one that actually violated the red line when I hit Syria with 59 Tomahawk missiles, if you remember. But President Obama chose not to do that. When he chose not to do that, he showed tremendous weakness. But we didn’t have Syria whereas we had Iraq. So when he did what he did in Iraq, which was a mistake. Being in Iraq was a mistake. Okay. Being in Iraq — it was a big mistake to go — one of the greatest mistakes going into the Middle East that our country has ever made. One of the greatest mistakes that we’ve ever made."

This is a failure in basic democratic accountability: A leader of democracy is so incapable of answering core policy questions that he offers word salad and expects the public to eat it up.

And it's been like this since day 1 when he was a candidate. But he throws in enough keywords and has the correct demographics (white, wealthy, conservative, "non-establishment") that people believe in him. Some supporters and many Republican officials understand quite well Trump is a fool (they literally had to take an anonymous NY Times op-ed to say "yeah we know he's an idiot, don't worry, adults are around"). But a large segment of people pretty much blindly support him due to the aforementioned demographics. Can you imagine if Obama had paid off two porn stars, had two divorces, ripped off contractors, or spoke with such juvenile diction and syntax? We'd have had civil war/secession by now. (this paragraph isn't aimed at you of course, just replying with my expanded detailing)

Another thing that staggers me is the amount of diligent career Republicans that Trump has somehow turned the party/people against: James Comey, Robert Mueller, Andrew McCabe, Jeff Flake, John McCain. All lifelong Republicans, some of whom have served, that Trump set his sights on and instigated ridicule toward. Meanwhile, Trump changed his party affiliation 5 times since 1987. Republicans should be ashamed for quite a few reasons, but allowing Trump to disown and insult diligent Republicans is one I don't see mentioned often. Mueller actually volunteered to serve in Vietnam, whereas Trump dodged the draft. What a patriot!

 

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Who has called for the US to become a Socialist Country? And Trumps drawing a direct connection to Venezuela here, so he clearly means a Socialist State. Social Democrat policy does not produce a Socialist State. Its not complicated. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, soon said:

Who has called for the US to become a Socialist Country? And Trumps drawing a direct connection to Venezuela here, so he clearly means a Socialist State. Social Democrat policy does not produce a Socialist State. Its not complicated. 

He was maybe referring to one of our female senators who calls herself a democrat socialist...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like there's no reason at all for these "Democratic Socialists" to continue branding themselves as such in America. It clearly just cannot get by the American people, the government spent nearly half a century convincing the public of how dirty a word "Socialism" is. Besides, the sort of political/economic structure that those like Bernie and Ocasio-Cortez (or whatever her name is) advocate for is so far from socialism that there's no point in carrying the name. It's just capitalism with a stronger welfare state (although "welfare" is also a dirty word in America with its own history, so they should probably avoid that phrasing too)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×