downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

2 minutes ago, Graeme said:

meet-the-scottish-man-who-rubbed-a-big-b

Someone up here got close enough (before he was POTUS, mind).

I don't think I'd ever want to be in close proximity to the wanker. I don't understand protester types in the slightest. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't understand protester types in the slightest. 

With the NGO-ization of social movements we see more and more symbolic gestures like this. It allows NGO organizers to point to one more action to their funders - to justify their salaries. And if its a membership org they put on a party for the members that they label a protest. Its all an advert for the NGO!

But even given that cynical analysis the fact is that its mostly a way to get the medias attention and that is truly invaluable. The proper media liaison can shift narrative and contribute to the public discourse. This will in turn see them invited for more media engagements, uni lecturing, author interviews, etc. And this will inspire some of the protestors to get more serious and become fully formed organizers.

But even outside the NGO sphere, in the grass roots too, most of the work of social movements has nothing to do with protest - its a hard and sober daily grind of research, networking, publishing, internal and external education and skill building. But a lot of everyday people are merely inspired by the disruption tactic used by Civil Rights (60's) and anti-globalization (90's) movements. They've seen the footage of the Battle for Seattle and they want in on some radical frivolity that manages to shut down WTO meetings. So, we give them that as a point of entry to our movements whether the tactic has any value to a particular situation or not :lol: And other times disruption is the perfect tactic to be successful. But I've said too much:smiley-confused2:

In closing - I wish I could be 'that guy who messed up Trumps hair with a balloon.' Bet he's never had to buy his own pints since!

There is a pattern of the Democrats accusing others of what they are guilty of themselves.

27 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

There is a pattern of the Democrats accusing others of what they are guilty of themselves.

So, all the democrats had phone sex with Monica Lewinsky? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Crooked Hillary has completely lost her mind in recent Maddow's interview, she can't be serious.

Just to see how far democrats have fallen.

She should blame herself when she was caught red handed with illegal home servers that she wiped clean. 

Now let's see what Barr is coming up with next.

Edited by Silent Jay

US Seeks Meeting with Russia to Talk About Venezuela Situation

Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will hold a meeting with United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo next week in Rovaniemi, Finlandia to discuss, among other topics, their countries differing approaches to the political situation in Venezuela.

"Yes, the meeting has been agreed on," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov told the news agency TASS when asked to comment on remarks by a U.S. State Department senior official who said Thursday that Lavrov and Pompeo might meet on the sidelines of the Arctic Council’s ministerial session on May 6-7.

Riabkov also mentioned that "it is clear that Venezuela will be the main topic," though the representatives of both countries will also talk about Syria and Ukraine.

According to the Russian foreign ministry website, Pompeo and Lavrov spoke Wednesday by telephone amidst tensions created by Pompeo himself who was falsly telling U.S. media outlets Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro nearly fled to Cuba but that Russian officials convinced him to stay.

In that conversation Pompeo accused Russia and Cuba of "intervening" in Venezuela. “The intervention by Russia and Cuba is destabilizing for Venezuela and for the U.S.-Russia bilateral relationship,” claimed Pompeo.

The U.S. government under President Donald Trump has been explicitly trying to overthrow the democratically elected government of Maduro since it entered office in 2017, starting with a slew of escalating economic sanctions, two coup attempts, including Tuesday's, and attacking the country's electrical system last month causing near nationwide blackouts. 

Lavrov retorted saying that "Washington's interference in the sovereign state's internal affairs and threats directed against its leadership constitute a blatant violation of the international law." Lavrov added to his counterpart: "Further aggressive steps may lead to the gravest of consequences."

Last March, senior representatives of both countries also held talks in Rome to discuss the Venezuelan situation. The U.S. special envoy leader for Venezuela, Elliott Abrams met with Deputy Minister Ryabkov who at the end of their meeting said that the talks were profitable but, "we were not able to approach our positions mainly due to matters of principle."

During the April 30 coup attempt commanded by opposition politician Juan Guaido who called for a civil and military mobilization to overthrow Maduro, Russian authorities denounced a U.S.-driven "information war," which prevented a peaceful solution to the Venezuelan domestic conflicts, which Russia and other countries, as well as the Maduro government, have been seeking for years.

"Washington tried its best to demoralize the Venezuelan army and now used fakes as a part of information war," Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said as she was rejecting claims that the Bolivarian president was preparing to leave his country for Cuba.

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/US-Seeks-Meeting-with-Russia-to-Talk-About-Venezuelan-Situation-20190503-0011.html

• Like 1

Trump or Putin gives a shit to what Venezuelan people are feeling. They just care about Oil. 

43 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Trump or Putin gives a shit to what Venezuelan people are feeling. They just care about Oil. 

• Haha 1

I had a student, this was more than 10 years ago, he was convinced the third world war would break out when USA would invade Venezuela for their oil. We all laughed. 

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I had a student, this was more than 10 years ago, he was convinced the third world war would break out when USA would invade Venezuela for their oil. We all laughed. 

You think Wold War 3 is gonna happen over this shit? I doubt it.

There will be no World War 3 or nuclear apocalypse, just the ongoing Cold War.

P.S. Trump won't go to prison or even court, he'll be elected for a 2nd term. At most what will happen to him is he'll resign but I don't think it'll come to that. I'm sure the democrats won't win but if they did I think it's far more likely that they'll pardon Trump. I wonder how much information we're missing during this Trump era?

15 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You think Wold War 3 is gonna happen over this shit? I doubt it.

No, I don't. He wasn't that right. 

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I doubt we will invade Venezuela but we could have handled it better. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/ap-exclusive-us-missed-chance-to-woo-venezuela-generals-2019-5

And they can't even keep the Russians out. 

Russia is actually the only country with a reasonable point of view in regards of Venezuela. 

Edited by Sosso

On 5/6/2019 at 1:04 PM, Sosso said:

Russia is actually the only country with a reasonable point of view in regards of Venezuela. 

They also have the more reasonable point of view in Syria.

"Youthful idealist" Noam Chomsky shares his view on the situation in Venezuela 

On 5/6/2019 at 11:57 PM, Sosso said:

Is it any surprise when that agency is headed up by an insane Apocalyptic Christian Zionist? Venezuela is caught up in a proxy war between the Russian/Iranian/Syrian block and the Washington/israel/Saudi Arabian block.

2006 Biden and President Trump agree on immigration policy based on this video unearthed by CNN's KFile. 

"Now, I know I'm not supposed to say it that bluntly, but they're the facts, they're the facts," said Biden. "And so everything else we do is in between here. Everything else we do is at the margins. And the reason why I add that parenthetically, why I believe the fence is needed, does not have anything to do with immigration as much as drugs. And let me tell you something, folks, people are driving across that border with tons, tons, hear me, tons of everything from byproducts for methamphetamine to cocaine to heroin and it's all coming up through corrupt Mexico." 

He also called for a crackdown on companies which hire "illegals," saying: "I voted for a fence, I voted, unlike most Democrats — and some of you won't like it — I voted for 700 miles of fence," adding "But, let me tell you, we can build a fence 40 stories high, unless you change the dynamic in Mexico and — and you will not like this, and — punish American employers who knowingly violate the law when, in fact, they hire illegals. Unless you do those two things, all the rest is window dressing."

Posted (edited)

^ you're totally right Silent Jay, Obama was the same way on immigration initially. The whole party has changed. They want whatever Trump doesn't want. That's it. Plus illegal immigrants gives them more votes. Screw those who are actually citizens of the US or those who worked for their citizenship. I can't respect democrats who care more about illegals rather than help those who fought for our country or those who reside here legally. America First doesn't mean we refuse to help others, it just means we choose to help ourselves first, to put us in a better position to to help others second.

Edited by 31illusions

10 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

2006 Biden and President Trump agree on immigration policy based on this video unearthed by CNN's KFile. 

"Now, I know I'm not supposed to say it that bluntly, but they're the facts, they're the facts," said Biden. "And so everything else we do is in between here. Everything else we do is at the margins. And the reason why I add that parenthetically, why I believe the fence is needed, does not have anything to do with immigration as much as drugs. And let me tell you something, folks, people are driving across that border with tons, tons, hear me, tons of everything from byproducts for methamphetamine to cocaine to heroin and it's all coming up through corrupt Mexico." 

He also called for a crackdown on companies which hire "illegals," saying: "I voted for a fence, I voted, unlike most Democrats — and some of you won't like it — I voted for 700 miles of fence," adding "But, let me tell you, we can build a fence 40 stories high, unless you change the dynamic in Mexico and — and you will not like this, and — punish American employers who knowingly violate the law when, in fact, they hire illegals. Unless you do those two things, all the rest is window dressing."

9 hours ago, 31illusions said:

^ you're totally right Silent Jay, Obama was the same way on immigration initially. The whole party has changed. They want whatever Trump doesn't want. That's it. Plus illegal immigrants gives them more votes. Screw those who are actually citizens of the US or those who worked for their citizenship. I can't respect democrats who care more about illegals rather than help those who fought for our country or those who reside here legally. America First doesn't mean we refuse to help others, it just means we choose to help ourselves first, to put us in a better position to to help others second.

Just take a second to read the bold section in each of these quotes there 31.

You are claiming the opposite of what you are referencing.

Biden says "I voted for a fence, I voted, unlike most Democrats — and some of you won't like it — I voted for 700 miles of fence," and then you say The whole party has changed. They want whatever Trump doesn't want. 

You see the contradiction in what you are trying to say, right? Biden is clearly acknowledging that most of the Dems opposed a fence in 2006. So, no the party hasn't changed its views in reaction to Trump.