downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

Better question is why would anybody be triggered by flying rainbow flags during pride month. This position really stands contrast to the statement Trump made about standing in solidarity with LGBT folks that live in countries that punish them. I mean the least you could do is fly a flag at embassies to better cover your real motivation behind it - gaining another angle against countries like Iran.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelica said:

Seriously? 🤣  no one’s that fucking naive. 

Really?  Have you not been paying attention to some of the inanity in this thread? :P

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

Really?  Have you not been paying attention to some of the inanity in this thread? :P

🤣🤣🤣 yeah no shit! And  it’s REALLY FUCKING HARD to respond to some of it without breaching the rules against personal attacks! (Which...I know you maneuver every day)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, action said:

why would anyone be triggered by a straight pride? tolerant people should be indifferent towards it.

it's just people coming together having fun. Some people see the fun in it, other people call it idiotic. That's just the times we live in. it's the beauty of living in a free world.

I don't see the harm in it personally. As long as people stay civilised and tolerant, what could go wrong?

Take a look at the guys organising it. ;) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, downzy said:

but we haven't reached peak ignorance yet.

I wish it was ignorance. We have to deal with the fact that unfortunatly the world is full of jerks everywhere. And they hate other people. Because others are... well... "different" :no:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Padme said:

I wish it was ignorance. We have to deal with the fact that unfortunatly the world is full of jerks everywhere. And they hate other people. Because others are... well... "different" :no:

Yeah, you're right.

At this point if someone is a Trump supporters they're either incredibly rich and benefiting from his policies, a racist, incredibly ignorant, or someone who has no real or consistent moral compass.

Conservatives and Republicans aren't necessarily in that group, though they are quickly becoming one in the same (with some notably exceptions, including many who post in this thread).  

11 hours ago, downzy said:

We’re going to split hairs here on whether a Christmas tree has overt religious symbolism?

Putting up a tree has become a general cultural tradition, whether one is Christian or not. The tree has as much to do with Christ's birth as the Easter Bunny does with his resurrection. 

• Like 1

Okay so maybe I’m judging a book by its cover but who else pictured this exact dude as soon as they heard the phrase “Straight Pride”? :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Its a purposely obtuse argument.

Imagine being so triggered by gay pride month that you invent something out of thin air and pretend its other people who are being intolerant when they rightfully tell you how much of a moron you are.

I'm a social conservative and I think a straight pride march is just sort of cringe and wouldn't be caught dead at one. But you'll never see me fly a gay pride flag or support that movement in any way. In fact, I think it's a little disturbing when children are present at the pride parades that are little more risque in what people are wearing and representing. Oh, and Desmond is Amazing's parents should be put in prison.

Another thought, if a man took his young son to a strip club, he'd be lambasted. But if a young kid is taken to a risque pride parade they aren't, not sure on what the difference is.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

18 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Putting up a tree has become a general cultural tradition, whether one is Christian or not. The tree has as much to do with Christ's birth as the Easter Bunny does with his resurrection. 

Agreed.  But again, it's become synonymous with a religious celebration regardless of whether it's in the Bible or not.  

And in the no shit department...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/europe-military-industrial-complex-nato-trump.html

America’s European allies are finally spending more on defense, but the Trump administration is raising hell about it because some of the allies want to spend the money on weapons made in their own countries.

Throughout his presidency, and even before, Trump has been browbeating the NATO allies to boost their defense budgets, even threatening to leave the alliance if they didn’t pony up. Now that they’re doing so in a politically viable way—by investing in their own companies—top U.S. officials are complaining.

It would be funny if it weren’t so damaging. The whole episode bolsters suspicions that the United States is interested more in enriching its own military-industrial complex than in improving the common defense.

25 minutes ago, downzy said:

Agreed.  But again, it's become synonymous with a religious celebration regardless of whether it's in the Bible or not.  

It depends on who you talk you. Some Christians have made it synonymous and some secular folks just like the tradition and don't prescribe any Christian doctrine to it at all.

I would argue this is in stark contrast to the Pride Flag, which is obvious in what it means. There's no one who's totally ambivalent about what it politically means and flies just because it looks nice.

16 minutes ago, downzy said:

And in the no shit department...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/europe-military-industrial-complex-nato-trump.html

America’s European allies are finally spending more on defense, but the Trump administration is raising hell about it because some of the allies want to spend the money on weapons made in their own countries.

Throughout his presidency, and even before, Trump has been browbeating the NATO allies to boost their defense budgets, even threatening to leave the alliance if they didn’t pony up. Now that they’re doing so in a politically viable way—by investing in their own companies—top U.S. officials are complaining.

It would be funny if it weren’t so damaging. The whole episode bolsters suspicions that the United States is interested more in enriching its own military-industrial complex than in improving the common defense.

They can buy from the US or Saudi Arabia or Israel, anything else is anti-American! Yes, obviously Trump has totally sold out to MIC and Zionist interests. 

17 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

It depends on who you talk you. Some Christians have made it synonymous and some secular folks just like the tradition and don't prescribe any Christian doctrine to it at all.

I would argue this is in stark contrast to the Pride Flag, which is obvious in what it means. There's no one who's totally ambivalent about what it politically means and flies just because it looks nice.

LOL...  Right.  A Christmas tree isn't obvious in what it means.  

Now I know you're not really being genuine in any of this discussion.  

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

LOL...  Right.  A Christmas tree isn't obvious in what it means.  

Now I know you're not really being genuine in any of this discussion.  

Answer this, do some secular folks not put up trees during Christmas time as well? Are they doing it because of their non existent Christian beliefs or because it's a cultural tradition? Why do you assume someone isn't being genuine just because they don't agree with you?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Answer this, do some secular folks not put up trees during Christmas time as well? Are they doing it because of their non existent Christian beliefs or because it's a cultural tradition? Why do you assume someone isn't being genuine just because they don't agree with you?

I'm sure some do, but they would still acknowledge the religious symbolism of the decoration even if they don't adhere to its tenets.  

This isn't about you agreeing with me.  It's acknowledging a basic fact that 99 percent of those who see a Christmas tree see it as a religious symbol.  It's why we call it a Christmas tree and why viewers of Fox News got pissed when Obama called it a holiday tree.  It's meaning is absolute regardless of whether one actually practices or adheres to tenets of Christianity.  

18 minutes ago, downzy said:

I'm sure some do, but they would still acknowledge the religious symbolism of the decoration even if they don't adhere to its tenets.  

This isn't about you agreeing with me.  It's acknowledging a basic fact that 99 percent of those who see a Christmas tree see it as a religious symbol.  It's why we call it a Christmas tree and why viewers of Fox News got pissed when Obama called it a holiday tree.  It's meaning is absolute regardless of whether one actually practices or adheres to tenets of Christianity.  

Why do fox viewers get to decide this issue. I actually think Obama calling it a holiday tree probably is the more accurate term in 2019 America. And I say that as a strong Catholic. I'm still saying the Pride Flag is obvious in what it symbolizes. The Christmas/Holiday tree depends on the eye of the beholder.

4 hours ago, downzy said:

Why would anyone be triggered by a white pride march or men's rights protest?

The issue here is the championing of groups that have largely been marginalized or discriminated against.  As far as I'm aware, being straight isn't a crime punishable by death in any country on this planet, unlike being gay.

Celebrating the dominant class or group is simply reinforcing the current power structure that yields benefits to the majority at the exclusion of the minority.  This is such a basic concept that it baffles me why it's beyond the grasp for so many.  

One of these days I'll likely break my own rules for this forum, but we haven't reached peak ignorance yet.  

the only group I see being marginalised on here, are the straight group, who if they would walk in a pride march, I quote, "would be idiotic"

if that is not marginalising a group, I don't know what is

18 minutes ago, action said:

the only group I see being marginalised on here, are the straight group, who if they would walk in a pride march, I quote, "would be idiotic"

if that is not marginalising a group, I don't know what is

Now this is an interesting point you bring up. While I did say before a straight pride march is a little bit cringe. Let's be honest, who would face blowback at their job. Would any corporation fire someone or demote someone for attending a gay pride parade? In before you say Chik fil A or Hobby Lobby! But seriously, even they probably wouldn't. Now, how about for straight pride parade attendees. What do you think their career prospects would look like in Corporate America, which has now mostly gobbed onto the trendy liberal social agenda to hide the fact that they economically don't give shit about anybody.

how would you guys react to a straight pride? would you ridicule it? would you actively go protest against this pride? would you shout all sorts of names to them?

but the most important question of all...

why would you care?

5 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I'm a social conservative and I think a straight pride march is just sort of cringe and wouldn't be caught dead at one. But you'll never see me fly a gay pride flag or support that movement in any way. In fact, I think it's a little disturbing when children are present at the pride parades that are little more risque in what people are wearing and representing. Oh, and Desmond is Amazing's parents should be put in prison.

Another thought, if a man took his young son to a strip club, he'd be lambasted. But if a young kid is taken to a risque pride parade they aren't, not sure on what the difference is.

I don't think you can compare. A parade takes place in the streets. A strip club has an owner. And there is the issue of alcohol. So nobody under 21 is allowed. However a lot of 17 year old get a fake ID. And they manage to get in :lol: