downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

Dazey, how does your brand of politics go down on the streets of Redcar? 

Posted (edited)

i have a hard time taking people serious, who claim to be interested in tolerance, and equality of the sexes / sexuality / skin color and all other sorts of characteristics, but at the same time see no obstacle in brushing a whole group walking in a peaceful pride, calling them 'idiotic' because they question their motives.

Sure, some people have hidden motives. In virtually every group you'll encounter be it the good guys or the bad guys, you have people with questionable motives.

But to label a straight pride as "idiotic" or any other kind of insultive name, that is just going against everything that tolerance stands for, I wonder how some people can claim this with a straight face.

there is also this logical fallacy that claims that, because a certain group was discriminated, and to a certain point still is, it gives them the right to ridicule the majority that walk in a pride. I'm not sure how that works... it's ok if they discriminate the majority, because they are the minority? So basically, this is some kind of justification for discrimination? 

"We were oppressed for far too long, one day our patience will end (einmal wird unsere geduld zu ende sein)" Guess who said something similar before? 

Edited by action

8 minutes ago, action said:

i have a hard time taking people serious, who claim to be interested in tolerance, and equality of the sexes / sexuality / skin color and all other sorts of characteristics, but at the same time see no obstacle in brushing a whole group walking in a peaceful pride, calling them 'idiotic' because they question their motives.

Sure, some people have hidden motives. In virtually every group you'll encounter be it the good guys or the bad guys, you have people with questionable motives.

But to label a straight pride as "idiotic" or any other kind of insultive name, that is just going against everything that tolerance stands for, I wonder how some people can claim this with a straight face.

So in your opinion tolerance means you cannot object to things that are obviously idiotic and meant to provoke? 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Padme said:

I don't think you can compare. A parade takes place in the streets. A strip club has an owner. And there is the issue of alcohol. So nobody under 21 is allowed. However a lot of 17 year old get a fake ID. And they manage to get in :lol:

Well I was getting at the concept of what's the difference between a child watching a woman strip down to 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' to watching a man in a dog collar and assless chaps being led around by another guy dressed similarly :lol: 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So in your opinion tolerance means you cannot object to things that are obviously idiotic and meant to provoke? 

so basically, "einmal wird unsere geduld zu ende sein".

that's not how I approach opposition in life

if you want to be tolerated, you should start with tolerating other people yourself. I believe, you can expect, and you deserve, as much tolerance as you give. 

Edited by action

13 minutes ago, action said:

there is also this logical fallacy that claims that, because a certain group was discriminated, and to a certain point still is, it gives them the right to ridicule the majority that walk in a pride. I'm not sure how that works... it's ok if they discriminate the majority, because they are the minority? So basically, this is some kind of justification for discrimination?

I think most (if not all) the people here who've called a straight pride idiotic are straight. I know I am. It doesn't stop me from seeing how utterly ridiculous it is.

Why would anyone participate in a straight pride? Has anyone ever suffered for being straight? Lost their job? Forced to be in the closet for decades? Disowned from their families? Do other straight people need a role model to feel strong enough to be themselves? Been ashamed of being straight because society or the bible or whatever tells them it's wrong? Has anyone been called sick for being straight? Has anyone tried to cure them from being heterosexual? Has anyone gone to jail for being straight? Seriously, the list goes on and on.

I see no reason whatsoever to walk in a straight pride. Except if I wanted to provoke. What other reason could anyone have? What other motivation do you see?

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Lio said:

I think most (if not all) the people here who've called a straight pride idiotic are straight. I know I am. It doesn't stop me from seeing how utterly ridiculous it is.

Why would anyone participate in a straight pride? Has anyone ever suffered for being straight? Lost their job? Forced to be in the closet for decades? Disowned from their families? Do other straight people need a role model to feel strong enough to be themselves? Been ashamed of being straight because society or the bible or whatever tells them it's wrong? Has anyone been called sick for being straight? Has anyone tried to cure them from being heterosexual? Has anyone gone to jail for being straight? Seriously, the list goes on and on.

I see no reason whatsoever to walk in a straight pride. Except if I wanted to provoke. What other reason could anyone have? What other motivation do you see?

I'm not sure all of this checks out in 2019. I asked before, who's more likely to face economic ramifications, the person going to the gay pride parade or the person going to the straight pride parade. No major corporation is discriminating against gay people in 2019, they'd get sued into oblivion. If they fire or demote someone going to the straight pride parade, there is no organization that will stand up for that person. That's just the reality of it.

3 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Well I was getting at the concept of what's the difference between a child watching a woman strip down to 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' to watching a man in a dog collar and assless chaps being led around by another guy dressed similarly :lol: 

Well Axl wore assless chaps. There are pictures if you want to look around. See even straight men dare with assless chaps :lol:

3 minutes ago, Lio said:

there will certainly be people walking in that pride, who are in there to provoke. Maybe, it's even a large amount.

But I don't buy the argument, that ALL of the participants are in it to provoke

... yet, they will face the opposition of the tolerant people anyway, and the first insult has already fallen: idiotic.

This casual labeling of entire groups as idiotic is not healthy for a nice, tolerant, peaceful society. I hope, you'll agree with this. Surely you must agree, if a peaceful society is what you aim for, what you see as ideal.

What other motivation do I see? What reason do you need? Is it forbidden to gather with likeminded people? Last time I checked, it wasn't.

11 minutes ago, action said:

so basically, "einmal wird unsere geduld zu ende sein".

that's not how I approach opposition in life

if you want to be tolerated, you should start with tolerating other people yourself. I believe, you can expect, and you deserve, as much tolerance as you give. 

Of course we shouldn't tolerate anyone. We didn't tolerate Nazi Germany back in the 40s, nor should we. We shouldn't tolerate neonazis today, either. Or fascists. Or racists. Or bigots. If we tolerate everyone and everything the term itself loses all meaning. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course we shouldn't tolerate anyone. We didn't tolerate Nazi Germany back in the 40s, nor should we. We shouldn't tolerate neonazis today, either. Or fascists. Or racists. Or bigots. If we tolerate everyone and everything the term itself loses all meaning. 

are you saying, the people that are called idiotic are neonazis / fascists / racists or bigots?

well blimey, and here I was contemplating joining the straight pride. I'm straight as an arrow myself, and I want to meet people like me in a social gathering setting

today I have learned, that all but barely makes me a fascist :lol:

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, action said:

are you saying, the people that are called idiotic are neonazis / fascists / racists or bigots?

No, I was listing examples of people we shouldn't tolerate. I think people who walk in straight pride parades are stupid provocateurs.

Edited by SoulMonster

Just now, SoulMonster said:

No, I was listing examples of people we shouldn't tolerate. 

but we are discussing participants of a straight pride, nothing like the people you listed

I don't see the relevance here?

Just now, action said:

but we are discussing participants of a straight pride, nothing like the people you listed

I don't see the relevance here?

No shit. I was pointing out the flaw in your argument that we should tolerate everybody. 

4 minutes ago, action said:

well blimey, and here I was contemplating joining the straight pride. I'm straight as an arrow myself, and I want to meet people like me in a social gathering setting

:lol: It's obvious you can't come up with any reason or motivation to go to a straight pride either.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

No shit. I was pointing out the flaw in your argument that we should tolerate everybody. 

and I agree, I was wrong, naive maybe to think that we should tolerate everybody. It's just my nature to see the good in everybody. But my point still stands, in relation to the discussion at hand, namely the people walking with a straight pride who have been labeled "idiotic" just a bit too easily in my opinion

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, action said:

today I have learned, that all but barely makes me a fascist :lol:

People like you? And the uniting factor is just being straight? 

Every day you spend in the outside world is your straight social gathering setting!! This post shows again why there is no good natured motivation for a straight pride event. Being straight is the default condition. To be actively proud of being straight is to simply be proud of not being gay.

Edited by Jakey Styley
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Lio said:

:lol: It's obvious you can't come up with any reason or motivation to go to a straight pride either.

I don't think motivations are anyone's business really. it's actions that count, not motivations

1 minute ago, action said:

and I agree, I was wrong, naive maybe to think that we should tolerate everybody. It's just my nature to see the good in everybody. But my point still stands, in relation to the discussion at hand, namely the people walking with a straight pride who have been labeled "idiotic" just a bit too easily in my opinion

That's because you don't realize that the only reason to attend such a march - given that straight people aren't discriminated against at all - is as a statement against gays. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

People like you? And the uniting factor is just being straight? 

Every day you spend in the outside world is your straight social gathering setting!! This post shows again why there is ly no good natured motivation for a straight pride event. Being straight is the default condition. To be actively proud of being straight is to simply be proud of not being gay.

Motivations aren't anyone's business. Maybe they are just bored? Are we really having this discussion?

If these people don't harm anyone, why is it a problem?

Can you answer that to me? Who is harmed?

If you can't see it, close your eyes. It's not hard to do!

Just now, action said:

Motivations aren't anyone's business. Maybe they are just bored? Are we really having this discussion?

Bored? Really 😂 "Hey Luke, what are we gonna do today? I am bored." "How about a straight pride parade, those are always fun!" 

It is a barely concealed message to gays. A demonstration of power and opposition to gay rights. That's what it is. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, action said:

The motivation is key here, I have no idea why you think it can be brushed aside. If you think more than a few outliers are attending a straight pride walk out of boredom then you aren't being intellectually honest here.

Anyway, my answer is that a straight pride event is inherently hostile against gay people for the reasons listed above by myself and others and promotes an unwelcoming environment for those who are gay based on their sexual orientation, which is something our society should strive not to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was just on the website of Super happy Fun America. Please tell me, is this real or a joke?

“Straight people are an oppressed majority. We will fight for the right of straights everywhere to express pride in themselves without fear of judgement and hate. The day will come when straights will finally be included as equals among all of the other orientations.” – John Hugo, President of Super Happy Fun America

image.png.c07b33573f07adbd103839af034bd2f2.png

This must be satire, right? I'm sure it's a joke now.

I don't have a problem with Gay Pride parades. I think it's awesome to have people see gays celebrate who they are! Maybe one day people will just accept that people are different and move on. I believe gay people are born that way like being born a girl or a boy.  You don't have to like it then move on. If we all just treated people well we wouldn't have all this hate going around.

There have been 5 trans-gender women and men killed in Dallas since 2015 and there are no suspects yet. Come on! You know the cops aren't making this a priority. This is the south after all. it makes me sick that everyone is trying to live their lives and not harm anyone yet there are jerks out there who will beat or kill because they don't like it. 

I remember when Gays wanted to march in the NYC St. Paddy's day parade and alot of people weren't okay with it. Oh, it's okay to get drunk and start fights, but gays in an Irish parade, no way! What a joke! everyone has the right to celebrate who they are! I still can't believe in the 21st century it still goes on.

1 minute ago, Lio said:

I was just on the website of Super happy Fun America. Please tell me, is this real or a joke?

“Straight people are an oppressed majority. We will fight for the right of straights everywhere to express pride in themselves without fear of judgement and hate. The day will come when straights will finally be included as equals among all of the other orientations.” – John Hugo, President of Super Happy Fun America

Wish I knew where the super happy fun America was! it sure isn't where I live!

I believe everyone should be pride of who they are, but this whole straight while men thing is going overboard now.

1 minute ago, Lio said:

Maybe not. There will always be a part of the majority who confuses others getting to enjoy equal rights with a reduction of their rights. And when you consider others getting to enjoy the same rights your group have enjoyed supreme as a reduction in your rights, it is not far to think you are being discriminated against.