downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

2 hours ago, Download said:

“Improved” gun control is an increasingly supported position by centrists? Yeah, no. No it’s not. 

1 - I think you dont know what a "point of order" is, nor how in this instance the onus was on you to demonstrate your definition of "far left."

2- Yes improved gun control measures is a centrist position. "Other gun control-related questions also got highly favorable responses, the announcement says. Support for universal background checks, a mandatory waiting period for firearm purchases and an assault weapon ban came in at 97%, 83% and 67%, respectively. Sixty-seven percent of respondents also said it is currently too easy to buy a gun in the U.S., and three-quarters said Congress needs to do more to reduce gun violence." https://time.com/5167216/americans-gun-control-support-poll-2018/

3- There are more than a few on the far left who only wants your guns for themselves, and to lock you up in a gulag. Which tbh, I think they're being rather harsh, Id say it should only be a few months of field work for you :lol:

uGEIhr0h.jpg

4 - Guns are dumb.

Edited by soon

The US doesn't even have a legitimate "far left" its just that this country is so deeply conservative that standard leftist positions are seen as radical.

• Like 1

How has this not been brought up yet in this thread?

1995-donald-trump-gty-773.jpg

It's like a kid who forgot his homework the night before and made shit up on the bus ride into school.  

I've honestly been laughing about this all day whenever I think about it.  

This is the guy people actually voted for and will vote again.  A man so delusional and unable to admit when he makes a mistake he takes a fucking sharpie to a weather map in a sad attempt to validate his previous mistake.  How insane do you have to be to think this man is fit to run anything other than a toll booth, and even that might be too much for him.

I'm not sure what's sadder; that this guy is still in the White House or that there's people who still support him.   

2 hours ago, downzy said:

It's like a kid who forgot his homework the night before and made shit up on the bus ride into school.  

This is the guy people actually voted for and will vote again.  A man so delusional and unable to admit when he makes a mistake he takes a fucking sharpie to a weather map in a sad attempt to validate his previous mistake.  How insane do you have to be to think this man is fit to run anything other than a toll booth, and even that might be too much for him.

I'm not sure what's sadder; that this guy is still in the White House or that there's people who still support him.   

In before excuses. 

11 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Dang - Im too distracted to read the article! :wub:Well, my manufacturing sector has been stimulated :takethat:

I'll see myself out :lol:

On 06/09/2019 at 1:27 AM, downzy said:

How ironic. 

https://www.noaa.gov/news/statement-from-noaa

Even CNN said it in their broadcast, there’s video.

In before excuses.

14 minutes ago, Dazey said:

ED4r6WHW4AAOBsb?format=jpg&name=small

:lol: 

Damn Melania is such a fine woman. She's one of the most beautiful first ladies the US ever had.

ED9HX5LUUAE0zwW?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Silent Jay

Trump is the greatest troll of all time. He’s holding a laser pointer and lefties are cats chasing it at every opportunity. He sets them up and they fall for it every.single.time. 

😂😂😂🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

How ironic. 

https://www.noaa.gov/news/statement-from-noaa

Even CNN said it in their broadcast, there’s video.

In before excuses.

No excuses, Trump misspoke and now the NOAA is trying to curry favours. 

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/noaa-official-warn-staffers-contradict-trump-alabama

But continue your sad defence of a sad little man.  

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Download said:

Trump is the greatest troll of all time. He’s holding a laser pointer and lefties are cats chasing it at every opportunity. He sets them up and they fall for it every.single.time. 

😂😂😂🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

It's insane to me that this is something to be celebrated.  

All the maturity of a 12 year old kid.  

And this is, in essence, the reason why assholes continue to support Trump.  They don't really give a shit what he stands for, but ultimately they love the fact that he drives liberals crazy.  

It's politics of contempt.  

It's utterly pathetic.  

28 minutes ago, Download said:

😂😂😂🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

This popular lefty sight didnt cover it. Many didnt. https://theintercept.com/

I would love to hear your definition of "left" please? 

39 minutes ago, downzy said:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/noaa-official-warn-staffers-contradict-trump-alabama

Trust me, I don't want to come to his defense everytime, and being 100% pro-MAGA.

But reading posts like the one I quoted earlier, truly demonstrate that you have no sense of neutrality and objectivity, and truly it is sad coming from the admin of this forum and the only moderator of this thread.

• Like 1

Trust me, I don't want to come to his defense everytime, and being 100% pro-MAGA.

But reading posts like the one I quoted earlier, truly demonstrate that you have no sense of neutrality and objectivity, and truly it is sad coming from the admin of this forum and the only moderator of this thread.

There's nothing to be neutral about regarding Trump.  He's a train wreck as a person and as a President.  You only contribute to this thread and discussion by posting nonsensical or out-of-context defences of someone you claim you have no desire to defend.  

Regarding the Alabama situation, the facts are cleared.  The earliest weather model by the NOAA showed a 5-10 percent chance of Dorian hitting Alabama.  Two days later, after the models had changed and showed zero percent chance of Dorian hitting Dorian, Trump claimed via Twitter that the hurricane was most likely going to hit Alabama.   He didn't say there was a slight chance based on outdated forecast models, but that the storm was most likely on a path to hit Alabama.  He was then corrected by the National Weather Service, who made it clear that the President was wrong.  In the mean time, the NOAA was passing memos telling its employees not to contradict the President, even though he was wrong.  

Here's the full summary:

https://www.al.com/news/2019/09/moral-cowardice-critics-blast-noaa-after-defense-of-trumps-hurricane-dorian-claim-about-alabama.html

Again, explain to everyone here what would be a neutral analysis if this situation that doesn't conclude that Trump erred and then continued to lie about it?   Please explain how this ridiculous situation isn't further proof that your continual defence of this man and his administration is nothing short of absurd and undermines anything you have to say about political matters?

• Haha 1

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/trumps-sharpie-defense-hurricane-dorian.html

"And if #Sharpiegate can be said to serve any non-embarrassing function, it’s as a test of another kind, to see which institutions and people have rotted under the president’s hysterical commands and which ones haven’t. On Thursday, U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral Peter Brown issued a statement taking responsibility for the president’s out-of-date information. On Thursday, a source from the White House informed CNN that Trump had personally directed Brown to make this statement. The president was forcing a high-ranking military official to cover for him. On Friday evening, the NOAA released a peculiar, unsigned statement throwing the Alabama NWS under the bus for contradicting the president-who-shall-not-be-contradicted. (The NWS Employees Organization wasn’t having it, and neither were many former NOAA officials, who professed themselves stunned.)

What’s noteworthy about all this is not that Trump is forcing the government to write him notes of excuse; that’s old news by now. It’s that his critics have not merely shrugged and gone away, and that even the façade of his defense has shown cracks. It was a White House aide who revealed the John Roberts visit to the Oval Office, and, according to the Washington Post, it was a White House official who broke with the administration line to admit that the president of the United States had marked up an official NOAA map in order to avoid even a whiff of admitting fault."

dce70fd2ba33a7c908252dc06f77add0.jpg

Strange (well, not really) Trump took it this far when it wasn't close to the dumbest thing hes said and would have already been forgotten about had he let it go after the initial comment.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, downzy said:

No, actually they're not.  NOAA was referencing forecasts made to the White House PRIOR to Trump's tweet/statement about Alabama. 

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2019/DORIAN_graphics.php?product=wind_probs_34_F120

Living in Florida, I was watching the forecasts for over a week and NOAA had it going right through Central Florida (where I live), through the gulf and into Alabama.

Not sure what the big deal is.  Maybe Trump should have just shown the previous forecast models that had graphics instead of filling it in on a picture...but that's about it.

Edited by Kasanova King

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

No, actually they're not.  NOAA was referencing forecasts made to the White House PRIOR to Trump's tweet/statement about Alabama. 

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2019/DORIAN_graphics.php?product=wind_probs_34_F120

Yes, and those forecasts changed prior to Trump's tweet.  The model that showed a 5 to 10 percent change of impact on Alabama was already out of date by two days by the time Trump made his tweet.  

EDIT: Looks like this is getting investigated by the NOAA's chief scientist, who is now claiming that the NOAA released a political statement to support Trump that was untethered to the data and facts...

"... NOAA's acting chief scientist, wrote an email to colleagues that said the agency's response to Mr. Trump's claims were "political" and a "danger to public health and safety." 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/noaa-hurricane-dorian-statements-president-donald-trump-claims-being-investigated-by-chief-scientist/

4 hours ago, downzy said:

Yes, and those forecasts changed prior to Trump's tweet.  The model that showed a 5 to 10 percent change of impact on Alabama was already out of date by two days by the time Trump made his tweet.  

EDIT: Looks like this is getting investigated by the NOAA's chief scientist, who is now claiming that the NOAA released a political statement to support Trump that was untethered to the data and facts...

"... NOAA's acting chief scientist, wrote an email to colleagues that said the agency's response to Mr. Trump's claims were "political" and a "danger to public health and safety." 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/noaa-hurricane-dorian-statements-president-donald-trump-claims-being-investigated-by-chief-scientist/

The link isn't working. :(

Anyway, my best guess is that maybe he misspoke and meant Georgia.  Who knows.  But in the end, he had forecasts showing it could have hit Alabama so I'm not sure how this could become anything "big".

14 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Anyway, my best guess is that maybe he misspoke and meant Georgia.  Who knows.  But in the end, he had forecasts showing it could have hit Alabama so I'm not sure how this could become anything "big".

I think that the main issue is that the president is an imbecile who doesn't check his facts before opening his big fat fucking face. :lol: 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

So you don't think it's a big deal that a sitting President gives out out-dated and faulty information about a major hurricane heading towards the United States?  

It has major implications for not only the people living in Alabama in terms of preparation but national recovery efforts.

That's one major problem with all of this.  

For me, the issue is that Trump doubled down even when he was corrected by the NWS by mocking up a weather map with a sharpie in some sad attempt to prove he wasn't wrong.  People can misspeak, but most won't go to the extent of falsifying information via a sharpie.  And even fewer are the President who has the ear of the nation when he speaks about these matters.