downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

4 hours ago, downzy said:

That wasn't my point at all.  The fight and right for self-determination has little to do with multiculturalism.  The latter has to do with values and principles, nothing to do with culture.  I live in one of the most multi-cultural parts of North America and everyone gets on with each other fine.  

As others have pointed out to you on numerous occasions, the Kurds do not share the same values or views on religion (and how it integrates into government and policy) as those nations and ethnicities who currently have their own nations.  

I know you weren't saying that, but it was a metapolitical point that came to me as I was reading your post and thinking about the situation. It's funny how we lament that borders were drawn in arbitrary ways in the Middle East and that each ethno-religious group can't have their own homelands. But then when it comes to the west, diversity is a strength is the mantra we are supposed to hold dear and an ethno-religious enclave is something we are supposed to hold in contempt.

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Trump's remarks made within minutes of each other (I'm paraphrasing):

T: We're in too many wars; we need to bring our troops home.

T: Iran, we may start a war with you.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/21/trump-united-states-wars-iran-053341

American foreign policy in 2019.  

This is what happens when you try to serve too many masters.

4 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

But then when it comes to the west, diversity is a strength

It's only a strength if it's grounded on shared principles, values, goals and mutual respect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Trump's remarks made within minutes of each other (I'm paraphrasing):

T: We're in too many wars; we need to bring our troops home.

T: Iran, we may start a war with you.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/21/trump-united-states-wars-iran-053341

American foreign policy in 2019.  

Further more reassigning the withdrawn troops to Iraq is a funny way of bringing them home.

U.S. Troops Leaving Syria Will Be Assigned to Iraq, Defense Chief Says

Not a great day for Trump yesterday and his supporters.

Career diplomat Bill Taylor's testimony was damning.  It undercut Republican's defence that there was no quid pro quo (which, just as a reminder, isn't necessary for a crime to have been committed).

Hannity is now peddling some fantasy that whenever Trump says "do me a favour," he's not being serious and should be considered a throwaway remark.

Also appreciate Susan rice calling Lindsay Graham a piece of shit.  Not a better description considering that nonsensical defences and logistical pretzels Graham has employed to justify his moronic and shifting positions.  

It's virtually a guarantee Trump gets impeached in the House now.  I do think we'll see some Republican senators voting to convict (Romney, Collins, maybe Gardner and Murkowski), but likely not the 20 needed to throw Trump out of office.  Regardless, I don't see all of this helping Trump in 2020.  His crimes are so clear cut and easy to digest that it will turn off a lot of independents and adult-minded Republicans to either stay home or vote for the Democratic nominee, regardless of who the candidate is.  Not helping is that most experts are predicting an economic downturn in 2020, with many large cities expecting to collect less revenue than the previous year for the first time in seven years.  

In the end, the only thing question the Democratic candidate really needs to run on is, "do you really want four more years of this?"

I also wouldn't be surprised if some members of Trump's ex-cabinet come out in support of the Democratic candidate.  Mattis, Tillerson, Cohen, McMaster.  I could even imagine one or two of them showing up at the Democratic National Convention next summer.  

Former acting Attorney General of the United States, Matthew Whitaker, arguing Trump shouldn't be impeached because apparently abuse of power isn't a crime:

That's what it comes to.  

Essentially the Nixon-Orwellian argument that if the President does it, it's not a crime.  

Once laughable, now the only remaining defence for a sad little man and his even more pathetic political party.

Great little interview with AOC and Bernie. The interviewer even goes an entire 9 minutes without ever asking 'why a women of colour like AOC would endorse a white man like Sanders?' :lol:

Edited by soon

I am glad that asshole is dead, but holy fuck Trump is mentally ill. I don't think he stopped developing mentally when he was 13 years old.

Also, can we can Bernie is done now? His stupid comment about black kids should respect cops so they don't get shoot in the head was near Trump level of stupid.

Apparently twitter would have preferred Sanders to instruct the young man to 'shoot the pig first' rather than just hear Sanders recite "the talk?"

12 hours ago, downzy said:

Am i bugging or did another kid open his bag and catch the 2 bars sliding off like a boss? :lol:

• Like 1

Remember when Trump defenders tried to argue that the whistleblower shouldn't be viewed as credible since he claimed Biden was brought eight times in the call and the "transcript" only listed one reference by Trump?

About that...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/10/30/why-trump-insisted-that-obviously-incomplete-rough-transcript-was-fact-exact/?fbclid=IwAR03GME7QU1nY3QPvvVolEdpBQEnuWBfRzI3TTtQFqfJuDdcW3-w3nL35zo

As many have stated from the get-go, the "transcript" wasn't a transcript.  It was a conveniently put together summary that did not include all remarks.  We now have testimony from someone who actually listened to the call that makes it clear that references were left out.  

This is Nixon's tape cutting mess all over again.

You'd think someone on Trump's staff (not Trump himself, obviously) would have learned their history.

Watching congress pass the impeachment resolution in a hole in the wall restaurant packed with racialized immigrants. Very powerful vibes.

We shall overcome.

On 10/29/2019 at 9:56 AM, SoulMonster said:

What a statesman! :lol:

Yeah how dare trump be  disrespectful  to a mass murdering, rapist  and terrorist. Baghdadi is responsible for  the murder of kayla muller and genocide of the yazidis . But hey he was a Astute Religious Scholar.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

1 hour ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Yeah how dare trump be  disrespectful  to a mass murdering, rapist  and terrorist. Baghdadi is responsible for  the murder of kayla muller and genocide of the yazidis . But hey he was a Astute Religious Scholar.

I think you missed the point of the joke.  

What is going on with this Lawrence Vandyke nomination hearing? I havent been following closely and I dont know him nor his record. But the interviewing senator says he rejects the input of the American Bar Association. That sounds bonkers to this layperson.

So the American Bar Associations (ABA) makes what is presented here as a passing and unsubstantiated claim that Vandyke stated that he would not be fair to LGBTs. This makes him cry and then reference his faith. He denies saying that. He says he doesnt think that way. So while I would tend to trust the ABAs role in these hearings, without knowing the background, it seems like he could possibly be discriminated against for the ABAs understanding of his faith? With the prejudicial, stereotyped, bigoted view that all Christians would not be fair to LGBTs?

Or he's crying because he's being called out in front of the world for some serious ugliness? Like maybe he "still likes beer" so to speak? :lol:

The ABA letters claim and crying begins at 2:46

Edited by soon

27 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Easy, because the big boys who run the media and finance both parties want it to happen. And since the American public has been propagandized to love war and feel like they're always on the right side, well it's hard to get people who don't consider themselves political dissidents to care enough.