downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

Although NYT corrected its suggestion that Cenk gave David Duke an uncritical platform and affirmed that Duke is not racist (:facepalm::lol:) CNN has taken to attacking Cenks nephew now!

If anyone wants to know why, heres a great little interview. They dont address the smears but rather Cenk offers his position on the actual issues.

They also discuss the many examples in US history where major changes happened fast - not through incrementalism. Its 20 minutes, but anyone I know of who reads this thread will likely be interested. If one desires...

2 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

The budget was basically a wish list for both parties in an effort not to rock the boat coming into an election year.

Neither party wanted to be seen as the reason for shutting down the government so they both capitulated.  Republicans got more money for the military, Dems got more money for their causes.  

Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

- Wish You Were Here, Waters/Gilmour

19 minutes ago, soon said:

Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

- Wish You Were Here, Waters/Gilmour

As if you felt the need to clarify where the lyrics were from. Bloody Canadian stoner! :P:lol: 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Ugh...  Could Gabbard kindly fuck off?  She is the the worst. 

The process is only partisan because one party put their loyalty to Trump over country.  

In a sane country this would not have been a partisan affair.  Not a huge surprise coming from the party of "family values" that nominated, and still supports, a serial cheater and sexual harasser.  

What a load of shit.

I watched the final vote this evening.  Pelosi shot daggers at whoever cheered when article one was adopted.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, downzy said:

The process is only partisan because one party put their loyalty to Trump over country.  

And history is not going to look kindly on them. This is awesomely shortsighted and ultimately terrible for said party.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Angelica said:

And history is not going to look kindly on them. This is awesomely shortsighted and ultimately terrible for said party.

Well, let's hope so.  It's kind of scary where a significant portion of the American population is going with its support of Trump.  Who knows who will be writing those history books.

2 party system needs to be abolished.  We need to have a parliamentary system with multiple parties being able to have a voice. I am sick of both Democrats and Republicans. 

I did an assignment for my international politics class, to see who was talking about it and see how people were interested in it. On my campus, nobody talked about it  heard maybe 3 people talk about max. Only people who care are the Anti Trump Left,  Deep State right and center and the twitter-verse and online forums like these.  The next 3 weeks are going to be interesting.  Going to be interesting to see how our allies respond and the financial markets.

At least our countries leader was not caught wearing blackface 

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 1

If Pelosi refuses to send the articles to the Senate until after the 2020 election...oh man

That could either be a genius move, or it could backfire spectacularly

12 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

If Pelosi refuses to send the articles to the Senate until after the 2020 election...oh man

Yeah, the wheels have definitely come off the wagon with this one.  

In some ways it's probably smart to hold the impeachment dagger over Trump's head for the remainder of his term.  On the one hand he could lose in 2020 and the Democrats could simply put the impeachment back in their pocket and move on.  Plus it might either keep Trump in check or prompt him to do something even more foolish thinking he can do whatever he wants.

The reality is that the Senate trial was never going to act according to how it's suppose to.   When the Senate Majority leader openly admits he's not an impartial juror, all but divorcing himself from his constitutional duty to hold the executive in check, there's really no advantage.  

Plus this way Trump can't claim he was exonerated.  He'll likely say the Democrats are too scared to send the matter to the Senate because they know they'd lose (and he'd be right).  But he still can't say he's exonerated.  McConnell already gave Pelosi her excuse by making it clear it wasn't going to be a fair trial.  

Man this whole thing is fucked up.  

27 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

That exactly my thinking.

I am tending to lean on the second one based on the recent polling data but I don't think she would actually refuse them as it would most likely go to the supreme court as it's most likely unconstitutional to do so.

I am just watching both sides tear each other to shreds and proving that the  2 party system needs to be abolished and get a  multiparty democracy in

15 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

2 party system needs to be abolished.  We need to have a parliamentary system with multiple parties being able to have a voice. I am sick of both Democrats and Republicans. 

I did an assignment for my international politics class, to see who was talking about it and see how people were interested in it. On my campus, nobody talked about it  heard maybe 3 people talk about max. Only people who care are the Anti Trump Left,  Deep State right and center and the twitter-verse and online forums like these.  The next 3 weeks are going to be interesting.  Going to be interesting to see how our allies respond and the financial markets.

At least our countries leader was not caught wearing blackface 

Whatever system there is, it will be the same shit until the power to run the political process is stripped of the billionaire class.

5 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Whatever system there is, it will be the same shit until the power to run the political process is stripped of the billionaire class.

But at least would we be able to have a choice other than a Turd Sandwich and Giant Douche.  

39 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

But at least would we be able to have a choice other than a Turd Sandwich and Giant Douche.  

Well sure, you'd have 4 Turds to choose from instead of 2.

What are the Republicans' complaints about the impeachment process? Do they have any defense of the substance of what Trump did or is it all due process complaints?

17 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

What are the Republicans' complaints about the impeachment process? Do they have any defense of the substance of what Trump did or is it all due process complaints?

Due Process mostly.

17 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

What are the Republicans' complaints about the impeachment process? 

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is on borrowed time and nothing else matters to the GOP than her seat on the court. Trump could literally fuck a 5 year old up the arse on Fox News at prime time at this point and Mitch McConnell would blame it on the Democrats. 

2 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Due Process mostly.

How exactly have proceedings thus far deviated from due process? 

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is on borrowed time and nothing else matters to the GOP than her seat on the court. Trump could literally fuck a 5 year old up the arse on Fox News at prime time at this point and Mitch McConnell would blame it on the Democrats. 

How exactly have proceedings thus far deviated from due process? 

Note this is not my opinion I am just saying what's happening.

The Republicans are complaining because they believe that Trump wasn't allowed to assert executive privilege and that The Minority Rights were not being heard in the inquiry and how it was not fair to them. 

Now the Democrats are saying the exact same thing The House GOP. They are all pissed off because McConnel said that he won't be an Impartial Juror.

Basically both sides are accusing each other of not being fair to each other. That's the main complaint. Democrats are saying that the Senate GOP won't be fair because they are loyal to Trump. The House GOP is complaining about the Democrats hating trump and not giving him a fair shakedown. 

To be clear I am not saying what I believe. I am saying what both sides are trying to accuse each other of.