downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

3 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

It's because they fundamentally agree with Trump's foreign policy. Look at the mild criticism's being leveled at Trump. They are complaining that they weren't told. But nobody except for Tulsi or Omar is putting up serious resistance and calling into question the anti-Iranian stance generally. Put up or shut up and add it to the impeachment.

We can’t stop a war with Iran unless we recognize U.S. aggression is not the product of failed strategy, or the Republican Party alone. It’s the product of a system where it’s normal bipartisan politics to lay the building blocks of war with no public account of the profound harm that is being done. And then, on the eve of said war, those Democrats who have been setting its course feign outrage and shock—if a Republican is in the White House, that is. We saw this script play out with the Iraq War, and we’re seeing it again now. In a U.S. political establishment where killing people abroad comes with little political cost, the politicians who contributed to the U.S. climate of belligerence are never forced to face the consequences. It costs nothing to to jockey for war, but everything to stand against it—including war’s precursors, such as sanctions, bloated military budgets and CIA meddling. Our only hope is to change this.

To Stop Trump’s War with Iran, We Must Also Confront the Democrats Who Laid the Groundwork

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

We can’t stop a war with Iran unless we recognize U.S. aggression is not the product of failed strategy, or the Republican Party alone. It’s the product of a system where it’s normal bipartisan politics to lay the building blocks of war with no public account of the profound harm that is being done. And then, on the eve of said war, those Democrats who have been setting its course feign outrage and shock—if a Republican is in the White House, that is. We saw this script play out with the Iraq War, and we’re seeing it again now. In a U.S. political establishment where killing people abroad comes with little political cost, the politicians who contributed to the U.S. climate of belligerence are never forced to face the consequences. It costs nothing to to jockey for war, but everything to stand against it—including war’s precursors, such as sanctions, bloated military budgets and CIA meddling. Our only hope is to change this.

To Stop Trump’s War with Iran, We Must Also Confront the Democrats Who Laid the Groundwork

Thank you. This empire building foreign policy establishment wouldn't be in place for decades without cooperation from both political parties. Feigning outrage at one or the other misses the point. Until people are ready to do something about the power behind the curtain and the big money and big media interests involved, we'll continue to be on this hamster wheel.

This is absolutely disgusting if true. To assassinate somebody under flag of truce is a shitbag move, no matter how you slice it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7854971/Soleimani-Iraq-discuss-escalating-tensions-Saudis-killed-PM-says.html

• Iraq's caretaker prime minister, Adel Abdul Mahdi, told his parliament in Baghdad on Sunday that US strike on Soleimani was a 'political assassination'  
  • Abdul Mahdi claimed that Soleimani was due to meet with him on the same day that he was killed by a US drone near the Baghdad airport early on Friday 
  • The outgoing Iraqi leader says that Soleimani was supposed to bring him Iran's response to a Saudi proposal for de-escalating regional tensions 
  • Saudi Arabia, a regional rival, blames Iran for an attack on the kingdom's oil facilities in September 
  • Abdul Mahdi also claims that President Trump called him and asked him to mediate talks with Iran after the US embassy in Baghdad was nearly overrun

19 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

This is absolutely disgusting if true. To assassinate somebody under flag of truce is a shitbag move, no matter how you slice it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7854971/Soleimani-Iraq-discuss-escalating-tensions-Saudis-killed-PM-says.html

Well given that this is the same guy who was threatening to destroy civilian cultural sites ie commit war crimes are you really surprised?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Well given that this is the same guy who was threatening to destroy civilian cultural sites ie commit war crimes are you really surprised?

Not much surprises me. I fully expect the democrats to continue in their tepid and process oriented critique's and not add this to the impeachment. If they do, that will actually surprise me.

Edit: not that I'm letting the Republicans off the hook, most of them are shit on Foreign Policy...except for Rand Paul.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

What a train wreck and yet he will win again this year.  To make matters worse his Son could run in 2024.  Not sure I wanna be around for that 

13 minutes ago, soon said:

Canada (and US) operations to thwart out remaining ISIS fighters in Iraq have been put on hold following Trumps assassination of Soleymani. The reckless act means that both militaries have been forced to take a defence posture - sheltering in place or retreating to Kuwait.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-troops-vance-iraq-kuwait-1.5417627

When you kill ISIS greatest enemy (Soleimani), that'll happen.

Guy went to Harvard so I trust

So did the unabomber.

38 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So did the unabomber.

Not to be confused with the Manchester Uni-bummer. :lol:

TELEMMGLPICT000211754429_1_trans_NvBQzQN

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well, Trump has the war he wanted. I hope it was worth it.

When was the last time we had a war that was worth fighting? 

Answer: 1939 

This one that Trump just started is not the exception

18 minutes ago, Dazey said:

So...how does it feel to be finally exonerated? :lol:  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Padme said:

When was the last time we had a war that was worth fighting? 

Answer: 1939 

What you don't support our troops? Are you a traitor, weak, communist or maybe even a Czech Republic spy?

*Using the logic Rupert Murdoch*

Edited by AtariLegend

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

No wonder the Gallaghers walk funny. You need to superglue your arse cheeks together whilst visiting Manchester.

A new Canadian fictional tv show debuts today - Fortunate Son, about US draft dodgers/ war resisters from the Vietnam war. Many live in Canada to this day!

Incredibly timely and relevant again, just days after the Select Services Systems website crashed due to traffic following the assassination of Soleymani. The Select Services System is where US young men are required to register for conscription upon their 18th bday.

More about conscription,

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/01/03/us/military-draft-world-war-3.amp.html

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, soon said:

A new Canadian fictional tv show debuts today - Fortunate Son, about US draft dodgers/ war resisters from the Vietnam war. Many live in Canada to this day!

Incredibly timely and relevant again, just days after the Select Services Systems website crashed due to traffic following the assassination of Soleymani. The Select Services System is where US young men are required to register for conscription upon their 18th bday.

More about conscription,

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/01/03/us/military-draft-world-war-3.amp.html

To be fair, one wouldn't need to move now, just not identify as a man!

On a serious note, most people in the US join the military for the benefits. We don't have good working class jobs anymore, no universal health care, and college is expensive as hell. Hmm, almost like those things are done on purpose so the military can meet it's needs...

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

To be fair, one wouldn't need to move now, just not identify as a man!

I know you're speaking irreverently, but Im not sure that Chelsea would be in on the joke. Taking her as a case study, the US military would force feed them pharmaceutical treatments for gender dysphoria and send em out to fight.

(I cant wait for that episode of Alex Jones where he 'has the documents' showing that the US military is stockpiling millions of doses of the drug, which are stored along the train tracks for rapid distribution. "Operation Tranny Tracks" :lol:)

Edited by soon

31 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

You can really tell when he’s reading an autocue. :lol: 

25 minutes ago, Dazey said:

You can really tell when he’s reading an autocue. :lol: 

Bet you its in crayon and has visual aides :lol:

No war with Iran, but I still don't trust them from acting out again.

Sometimes I think all these countries including America just play games to see how far they can go. Meanwhile, it's the innocents that suffer.

Over 50 people in Iran were killed during that celebration for that General. Do they honestly think he's worth a celebration? Iran is giving out free food to make their people show up for his funeral. Unreal. This country funds terrorism all over the world and yet no one can stop them? 

Trump was right to dump that treaty that Obama did. I mean paying them millions of dollars not to have nuclear weapons? What the fuck is that?

It just makes me sick that these countries will not ever stop the spread of terrorism even if the US and their allies get out of all Muslim countries. It's just an excuse they make to blame the US for all their bullshit and how they treat their own people.

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Yeah, because I honestly believe Trump would rather be saying how he wants to blow the shit out of Iran. He has to make peace since everyone else wants it. Do you really think Iran will back down? This nation knows nothing but making threats and war, so they will never stop.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Trump was right to dump that treaty that Obama did. I mean paying them millions of dollars not to have nuclear weapons? What the fuck is that?

He didn’t pay them anything and they stopped trying to make nuclear weapons. It’s not rocket science for fuck sake. :lol: 
Also I really wish that Americans would fucking stop calling it Obama’s nuclear deal. It was agreed between the US, UK, Russia, China, France and Germany equally. I mean how fucking arrogant can you get? 
Seriously, go back to your fucking soap operas and let the grownups talk in peace. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey