downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

The entire Russian gov resigned. Ontario Premiere considered closing down high school (no joke!). Warren is a sociopath. So much to discuss, but Ill go with Moms 4 Housing. https://moms4housing.org/

The militarized police raid, complete with a robot, to evict moms and children is completely unacceptable.

Been having more than a few chats with younger activists about why its not appropriate to move to a place with a housing crisis just "Because Oakland is so bad ass!" :lol:

But we do have to struggle in place. We cant just watch capitalism attack human beings.

The impeachment trial starts on Tuesday. I still don't know why regular tv stations have to air it when we have so many cable news channels.

I know this is important, but I do miss my soaps and am sick and tired of hearing all this bullshit and not reaching a verdict. How long will this shit take? Don't remember Clinton's trial at all.

43 minutes ago, soon said:

The entire Russian gov resigned. Ontario Premiere considered closing down high school (no joke!). Warren is a sociopath. So much to discuss, but Ill go with Moms 4 Housing. https://moms4housing.org/

The militarized police raid, complete with a robot, to evict moms and children is completely unacceptable.

Been having more than a few chats with younger activists about why its not appropriate to move to a place with a housing crisis just "Because Oakland is so bad ass!" :lol:

But we do have to struggle in place. We cant just watch capitalism attack human beings.

I'm afraid Putin will kill all of them and their families. I mean who would stop him? I'm surprised these people resigned. It's like Nazi Germany all over again.

42 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The impeachment trial starts on Tuesday. I still don't know why regular tv stations have to air it when we have so many cable news channels.

I know this is important, but I do miss my soaps and am sick and tired of hearing all this bullshit and not reaching a verdict. How long will this shit take? Don't remember Clinton's trial at all.

I'm afraid Putin will kill all of them and their families. I mean who would stop him? I'm surprised these people resigned. It's like Nazi Germany all over again.

Yeah, its wild that they all quit on him!

I tend to hesitate from speculating on stuff like that, but at this point Putin is a truly loose cannon.

What a fucking moron! :lol: 

• Haha 2

Windmills?? 

"i know windmills very much, I've studied it better than anybody"

12 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Oh my fucking god!! 🤣🤣🤣

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

As a Canadian the people here watch more cable news and are more infatuated with USA politics than the average American.  Still, I tuned out of Trump months ago and really haven't seen anything other than liberals promoting (even thought hey hate him) him.

That's my silly take on it, reminds me of people protesting a concert, why?  Just don't go...   Or Back in the day the people that "hated" Howard Stern yet could not stop talking about him.

As a Canadian Trump, Obama, Clinton or whoever is in power in the USA has almost no bearing on my life at all. 

Ill give an example.  My mother in law "hates" Trump, anytime he is on tv or even when he's not she talks about him, I told her to stop if she doesn't like him so much, she brings him up so often its nauseating.  It's also common, his biggest "fans" seem to be the ones who "hate" him.

If you don't like what's on TV turn it off.  My mother in law is hilarious with the CNN app, every hour they put out breaking news about something Trump did or didn't do.  I asked her what does it matter to you as a Canadian?  What has changed in your life that was by Trumps hand?   *crickets*

Just do what I do and ignore it, your life will be less stressed obsessing over it. 

• Thanks 1

Former Manitoba reservist linked to neo-Nazi group arrested in U.S.

Patrik Mathews, who had been missing since he was accused of recruiting for a global neo-Nazi terrorist group while serving in Canada's army reserves, has been arrested in the United States.

He was taken into custody in Delaware on Thursday and is scheduled to appear in court in the afternoon.

Mathews, 27, was one of three arrested by the FBI, according to a release from the U.S. Attorney's Office. The others are Brian Mark Lemley Jr., 33, and William Garfield Bilbrough IV, 19, both from Maryland.

It's alleged all three are members of the racially motivated and violent extremist group The Base, the release says.

Mathews had worked as a combat engineer and had basic explosives training as a member of the Winnipeg-based 38 Canadian Brigade Group. The military, which had been investigating his association with right-wing extremist views, subsequently fast-tracked his release, while the RCMP were reportedly conducting their own investigation.

At the time, it was alleged Mathews was a major recruiter for The Base.

RCMP swarmed his home in Beausejour, Man., northeast of Winnipeg, on Aug. 19.

Police seized a number of firearms but no charges were laid.

His truck was later found abandoned on a rural property in Piney, in southern Manitoba near the U.S. border, prompting speculation he had entered the U.S.

That is exactly what he did, according to the federal criminal complaint filed by the U.S. Attorney's Office. It doesn't say where he went from there, but on Aug. 30,  Lemley and Bilbrough allegedly drove from Maryland to Michigan to pick up Mathews.

All three men returned to Maryland the following day.

On Sept. 1, Lemley drove Mathews to Delaware, where the two had been residing in a rented apartment ever since.

The three men used The Base's encrypted chat rooms to discuss, among other things, recruitment, creating a white ethno-state, committing acts of violence against minority communities (including African-Americans and Jewish-Americans), the organization's military-style training camps, and ways to make improvised explosive devices, the criminal complaint says. (...)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/patrik-mathews-reservist-neo-nazi-group-army-reservist-1.5429218

Their organization is called "The Base" which is the english translation of Al-Qaeada. I guess terrorists really like that name?? :lol:

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

That clip is filled with hilarious lines, but my favourite was probably "one's like, an orange-white... that's my favourite colour, orange." [looks smugly at the crowd] :lol:

TBH it strikes me as a completely run of the mill Trump rally shit show. The only difference is that in this clip he acknowledges green house gases (or carbon - however he phrased it), airborne pollution (manufacturing windmills causes "fumes") and carbon footprints (travel a distance from where they are made in Germany and China). So in that regards its the most serious and normal rally speech he's ever given. :shrugs:

16 hours ago, Dazey said:

The most cringe thing about this is the "Turning Points USA" logo behind him.

I wonder if Trump understands solar? A booming industry creating working class jobs in the USA.

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I wonder if Trump understands solar? A booming industry creating working class jobs in the USA.

It doesn't matter what Trump understands or doesn't understand. The real question is who's paying him and his party. Whatever those people's opinions are, Trump will do. Whatever Sheldon Adelson wants, Trump does, easy.

16 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Windmills?? 

"i know windmills very much, I've studied it better than anybody"

Oh my fucking god!! 🤣🤣🤣

giphy.gif

That is the same look she gives every night after sex. 

2 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

It doesn't matter what Trump understands or doesn't understand. The real question is who's paying him and his party. Whatever those people's opinions are, Trump will do. Whatever Sheldon Adelson wants, Trump does, easy.

I was just phrasing it that way to relate it to the previous video of Trump "never understood wind."

I think both parties are eroding from within, for the type of reasons that you refer to, as they fully sold out years ago. I would say though that I subscribe to the notion that Trump did Soleymani to distract from impeachment and trials. So in that sense he will do neocon shit when he's good and ready. It isnt complete cooperation, imho. He's like a toddler in the terrible-twos with neocon parents knowing they are still in charge but having to deal with the behaviours of the angry child.

Ken Starr, former special prosecutor in the Clinton-Whitewater invesitgation, has joined Trump’s impeachment legal team.   

Also joining the team is former OJ Simpson and Jeffrey Epstein defense lawyer Alan Dershowitz.

It’s a shame Johnnie Cochrane isn’t still alive. I’m sure we would have gotten something like “if you have to reach, you must not impeach!”

• Haha 1

Virginia governor issues state of emergency ahead of a guns rights rally attracting hate groups, militia

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam on Wednesday said firearms and other weapons will be banned on state Capitol grounds in Richmond ahead of a gun rights rally on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

A temporary state of emergency is among several security precautions Northam said officials will take effect after law enforcement learned of "threats of violence" surrounding the rally that out-of-state militia groups and hate groups are expected to attend Monday.

"State intelligence analysts have identified threats and violent rhetoric similar to what has been seen before other major events such as Charlottesville," said Northam, referring to the deadly white supremacist rally in that Virginia city.

The threats, which are considered credible by law enforcement, come from mainstream channels and alternative dark web channels used by violent groups and white nationalists from outside of Virginia, the governor said. He added "the conversations are fueled by misinformation and conspiracy theories."

Northam said the state of emergency will be in place from Friday evening to Tuesday evening. The ban includes open and concealed firearms and other weapons like sticks, bats and chains, according to the emergency declaration order. (...)

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/virginia-governor-issues-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-a-guns-rights-rally-attracting-hate-groups-militia-1.4769701

The FBI has already arrested 3 neo-nazis for plotting to start a race(ist) war at this rally. The Virginia Governor has declared a state of emergency. And yet, in the wild, one will be told not to call the right-wing racist. And that we live in a post-race world.

On 2020-01-15 at 3:42 PM, Silent Jay said:

The art of the deal?

Yes, another shitty deal for the US relative to the original aims of Trump's trade policy...

"President Trump’s “phase one” trade deal with China is largely a victory for Beijing. Just measure the agreement signed this week against the initial demands made by Washington in a leaked May 2018 document. As the Financial Times concludes, with regard to the central U.S. goals, “After almost two years of negotiations, tariffs and counter-tariffs, Mr. Trump has achieved none of these objectives.”

This outcome is partly a reflection of the two sides’ staying power. China is a one-party state that can take the long view. Trump gambled that he could hurt the Chinese economy enough with tariffs that the pain to American consumers — who have paid for those tariffs — would be worth it. But the president apparently decided that he wanted to smooth the economic waters as he runs for reelection. So he folded.

Trump’s chief mistake was to go it alone. European leaders offered to join forces with the United States against China — together representing almost 50 percent of global gross domestic product and more than 50 percent of international military spending. Trump declined, instead castigating Europe for running trade deficits with the United States. He also withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, an agreement that would have put pressure on China.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-trump-caved-on-china/2020/01/16/593e3b98-38a7-11ea-9541-9107303481a4_story.html?fbclid=IwAR17qcMQWJLQpQJZLaCGp8wY0Xpgvpa9Zl6Xi_v0B8BtFjbpZe0EhOjzas0

19 minutes ago, soon said:

The FBI has already arrested 3 neo-nazis for plotting to start a race(ist) war at this rally. The Virginia Governor has declared a state of emergency. And yet, in the wild, one will be told not to call the right-wing racist. And that we live in a post-race world.

Nobody actually believes that (maybe a few naive white liberals). That's just a talking point either side will use given the circumstances.

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Yes, another shitty deal for the US relative to the original aims of Trump's trade policy...

"President Trump’s “phase one” trade deal with China is largely a victory for Beijing. Just measure the agreement signed this week against the initial demands made by Washington in a leaked May 2018 document. As the Financial Times concludes, with regard to the central U.S. goals, “After almost two years of negotiations, tariffs and counter-tariffs, Mr. Trump has achieved none of these objectives.”

This outcome is partly a reflection of the two sides’ staying power. China is a one-party state that can take the long view. Trump gambled that he could hurt the Chinese economy enough with tariffs that the pain to American consumers — who have paid for those tariffs — would be worth it. But the president apparently decided that he wanted to smooth the economic waters as he runs for reelection. So he folded.

From a broader perspective, however, this trade deal reflects something new on the international landscape, something the United States is going to have to grapple with for decades. As I argue in Foreign Affairs, China is the first real peer competitor that the United States has faced in the modern era. (Even the Soviet Union was never really an economic peer.)"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-trump-caved-on-china/2020/01/16/593e3b98-38a7-11ea-9541-9107303481a4_story.html?fbclid=IwAR17qcMQWJLQpQJZLaCGp8wY0Xpgvpa9Zl6Xi_v0B8BtFjbpZe0EhOjzas0

I agree that it isn't a victory at all because it doesn't change the status quo. 

However, I do have to also place blame on GOP inc types and many Democrats for not taking up the mantle of changing the status quo with China since the end of the cold war.

19 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Nobody actually believes that (maybe a few naive white liberals). That's just a talking point either side will use given the circumstances.

Now theres 3 words that are becoming more synonymous by the day :lol: (J/K)

On 1/15/2020 at 12:21 PM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

He's a 21 year old Ben Shapiro listener. I don't think he's trolling, he actually believes his talking points. Which might be the more scary thing.

I tend to agree.  I don’t think he was trolling either. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Must read: neo-nazies plot to murder 'antifa' couple and then take down the US government. During planning the incels start to distrust one another and plan to kill one of their own, the Canadian arrested days ago. Bunch of arrests now. And thats the attendees of this coming Mondays gun rally. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fbi-arrests-the-base-georgia-wisconsin-1.5432006

Establishment Dems are scared - they have nothing on Bernie so they're making shit up wholesale now to smear him

• Thanks 1