downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

American journalist Glenn Greenwald has been charged with cyber crimes in Brazil. He exposed the corruption around the bogus prosecution of Lula, recently. And has long criticized the Brazilian govt for its political imprisonment of Lula.

https://www.rt.com/news/478823-glenn-greenwald-charged-cybercrimes-brazil/

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/breaking-glenn-greenwald-charged-with-cybercrimes-in-brazil/

Glenn Greenwald is a man who fears no fash though,

(I couldnt find an english video that was brief. Im posting this for the video, not the language. An english language commentary of the event can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0I9bFEU41I)

Edited by soon

I'll be honest, I used to find it annoying how Bernie supporters would claim the media and the establishment were so out to get him. I came across some examples of his supporters sharing photos that were either doctored or missing context to support their claim and it emboldened my feeling that they were annoying and employing the same kind of tactics that Trump used to help craft an anti establishment image (which people rally around) 

In the last few weeks, I've seen too much bullshit to really feel this way anymore. There are some inexcusable examples of unfair treatment by the media, and the way that Warren, the media, and now Hillary have tried to nail down this dumbass narrative about Bernie or his supporters being misogynistic is just so ridiculous. I'm not convinced that it is a collusion job and I still think that many of Bernie's supporters jump the gun in claiming conspiracy against Bernie, but they are definitely onto something. 

• Like 2

The part of the Hulu transcript Dems are mad about is Hillary refusing to commit to endorsing Bernie if he wins the nomination

That blows their "Vote Blue No Matter Who" bullshit right out of the fucking water

Bernie or Bust!

Edited by TheSeeker

Hillary saying Bernie is a career politician that no one likes is the height of irony.

Only rivaled by Trump's tweet a few days ago saying a sea wall would be "costly, foolish & environmentally unfriendly idea that, when needed, probably won’t work anyway. It will also look terrible."

Impeachment trial began today.  I don't understand a word that is being said. If something would happen to change the US that would be good, but I doubt it. These sessions will be over 15 hours long. I bet some of those people fall asleep or by night time they won't know where the hell they are! 

God help us all!

1 hour ago, Jakey Styley said:

I'll be honest, I used to find it annoying how Bernie supporters would claim the media and the establishment were so out to get him. I came across some examples of his supporters sharing photos that were either doctored or missing context to support their claim and it emboldened my feeling that they were annoying and employing the same kind of tactics that Trump used to help craft an anti establishment image (which people rally around) 

In the last few weeks, I've seen too much bullshit to really feel this way anymore. There are some inexcusable examples of unfair treatment by the media, and the way that Warren, the media, and now Hillary have tried to nail down this dumbass narrative about Bernie or his supporters being misogynistic is just so ridiculous. I'm not convinced that it is a collusion job and I still think that many of Bernie's supporters jump the gun in claiming conspiracy against Bernie, but they are definitely onto something. 

I agree, especially when there are so many other and better vulnerable areas to hit Bernie.  Resorting to matters of sexism and misogyny isn't going to convince anyone at this point.

1 hour ago, TheSeeker said:

The part of the Hulu transcript Dems are mad about is Hillary refusing to commit to endorsing Bernie if he wins the nomination

That blows their "Vote Blue No Matter Who" bullshit right out of the fucking water

Bernie or Bust!

Ughh, more bullshit from you.

Hillary isn't the Democratic party.  The Democrats will rally around the nominee, regardless of who ends up being the nominee.  Bloomberg is already on record saying he'll spend over $1 billion of his own money in the 2020 campaign regardless of who ends up being the Democratic candidate (even if it's not him) to ensure Trump isn't re-elected in 2020. 

Please stop pushing false narratives.  

2 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Impeachment trial began today.  I don't understand a word that is being said. If something would happen to change the US that would be good, but I doubt it. These sessions will be over 15 hours long. I bet some of those people fall asleep or by night time they won't know where the hell they are! 

God help us all!

US is bonkers!

By comparison, today in Canada some people are angry that our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, bought his team donuts at a local bakery. They are mad that he didnt buy the donuts from the popular fast food restaurant, Tim Hortons!  

Only in Canada, lol

4 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

God help us all!

So your claim here is that they shouldn't bother and essentially allow the President to do whatever he or she wants, regardless of how egregious or abusive their actions may be?   

1 minute ago, soon said:

US is bonkers!

By comparison, today in Canada some people are angry that our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, bought his team donuts at a local bakery. They are mad that he didnt buy the donuts from the popular fast food restaurant, Tim Hortons!  

Only in Canada, lol

Which is dumb since Tim Horton's isn't even Canadian anymore; owned and run by a hedge fund out of Brazil.  

24 minutes ago, downzy said:

Which is dumb since Tim Horton's isn't even Canadian anymore; owned and run by a hedge fund out of Brazil.  

Yup. Don't even get me started! lol. There are layers of painful silliness to this. 

Plus, Tim's cancelled the Walnut Crunch so they're dead to me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, soon said:

American journalist Glenn Greenwald has been charged with cyber crimes in Brazil.

Pretty much the same thing the US charged Assange with. Nice example set!

• Like 1

Gabbard suing Hillary for calling her a Russian asset. 

I have a strong dislike for both so I don’t know who to root for.  I suppose Clinton because I think she’s clumsily right about Gabbard. 

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

I have a strong dislike for both so I don’t know who to root for.  I suppose Clinton because I think she’s clumsily right about Gabbard. 

What are you basing this on?

20 hours ago, downzy said:

Please stop pushing false narratives.  

17 minutes ago, downzy said:

Uh, dude

Where do you get your news from

19 minutes ago, downzy said:

As someone who has thought the hatred toward Tulsi is over the top, its really hard to defend wacky moves like this.

2 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

What are you basing this on?

- Continues to support Assad in Syria

- Casts doubts about Assad's use of chemical weapons

- Yet somehow blasts Obama for not bombing Al-Qaeda in Syria while throwing love to Putin:

- So wafts between isolationism and foreign interventions when for less than consistent reasons.

- Refuses to renounce any support she might be getting from Russia.

https://www.newsweek.com/tulsi-gabbard-being-used-russians-former-us-double-agent-evidence-clear-opinion-1466750

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/russian-web-trolls-boo-biden-often-boost-gabbard-report-finds-n1085216

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vb5anj/heres-how-much-russian-media-loves-tulsi-gabbard-and-hates-biden

2 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Uh, dude

Where do you get your news from

Many sources...

Again, I'll underscore Clinton being clumsy about her assessment.  I don't actually think she's correct in that Gabbard is an agent of the Russian government.  But I do think Gabbard helps and furthers Russian geopolitical interests for the reasons I listed above.  

5 minutes ago, downzy said:

Again, I'll underscore Clinton being clumsy about her assessment.  I don't actually think she's correct in that Gabbard is an agent of the Russian government.  But I do think Gabbard helps and furthers Russian geopolitical interests for the reasons I listed above.  

And that's the problem right there. According to certain number of opinion makers you're not allowed to have opinions on foreign policy that while not intending to, could also help Russia's geostrategic interest. One has to ask the question of why? Why is Russia the boogeyman at this point in time. Could it be their relationship with Iran (Israel's mortal enemy) that has something to do with this? 

10 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

And that's the problem right there. According to certain number of opinion makers you're not allowed to have opinions on foreign policy that while not intending to, could also help Russia's geostrategic interest. One has to ask the question of why? Why is Russia the boogeyman at this point in time. Could it be their relationship with Iran (Israel's mortal enemy) that has something to do with this? 

There's way more to it than just Russia's support of Iran.  There is their military incursions amongst their eastern European neighbours, most particularly Ukraine and its annexation of Crimea.  Then there's also the matters of targeted political assassinations both at home and abroad, along with their efforts to undermine and sway elections in most western developed nations.  

Again, if you look at the brief summary I included, it's not just that she defends Syria and Assad, but that she openly criticized Obama for not bombing Syria and yet clings to isolationist bonafides.  It appears she's happy to toe the Russian foreign interests within certain regions regardless of whether she's an active asset or not.

16 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

You just cited 3 bad ones

As opposed to the bad information you usually spew in this thread.  

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

As opposed to the bad information you usually spew in this thread.  

What bad information?

13 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

What bad information?

A lot of what you post isn't accurate, or at best, not properly contextualized. 

You have this cynical view of the Democratic Party that isn't really born out by the facts.  You have claimed that Hillary's statements represents the Democratic party when there's little to substantiate that claim.  You claim that Democrats have gotten crushed in elections when they moved to the centre, but that fails to consider the losses of McGovern in 1972, Dukakis in 1988, and the wins of Clinton in 1992, 1996, and Obama in 2008 and 2012.  Nor does it consider the fact that most of the Democrats who won Republican seats in the 2018 mid-terms were largely centrists, with the more progressive and Bernie aligned candidates doing quite poorly.

The problem I have with many Sanders supporters is often the same problem I have with Trump supporters.  Obviously some Bernie supporters in this thread prove the exception to what I'm about to say, but by and large, Sanders supporters are willing to believe in absurd and lofty promises that their candidate puts forward the same way Trump supporters blindly follow whatever he spews forth on a daily basis.  I find both camps suffer from a cult of personality that limits their ability to separate the faith and loyalty they bestow upon their dear leader from any semblance of objectivity and reason.  

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

A lot of what you post isn't accurate, or at best, not properly contextualized. 

You have this cynical view of the Democratic Party that isn't really born out by the facts.  You have claimed that Hillary's statements represents the Democratic party when there's little to substantiate that claim.  You claim that Democrats have gotten crushed in elections when they moved to the centre, but that fails to consider the losses of McGovern in 1972, Dukakis in 1988, and the wins of Clinton in 1992, 1996, and Obama in 2008 and 2012.  Nor does it consider the fact that most of the Democrats who won Republican seats in the 2018 mid-terms were largely centrists, with the more progressive and Bernie aligned candidates doing quite poorly.

The problem I have with many Sanders supporters is often the same problem I have with Trump supporters.  Obviously some Bernie supporters in this thread prove the exception to what I'm about to say, but by and large, Sanders supporters are willing to believe in absurd and lofty promises that their candidate puts forward the same way Trump supporters blindly follow whatever he spews forth on a daily basis.  I find both camps suffer from a cult of personality that limits their ability to separate the faith and loyalty they bestow upon their dear leader from any semblance of objectivity and reason.  

I'll do you a solid - I won't post in this thread anymore

Toodles