downzy

US Politics/Elections Thread

1 hour ago, soon said:

One could talk about how each voting cycle is unique. Or point out that people have felt/been disenfranchised and not liked any candidates before Bernie. But Id point to the numbers in Nevada. Bernie scored highest with every age group under 65. Meaning he won with 45-64 with healthy margins. Like, he dominated. When it's broken down as "45 and older" Biden had a paltry 2 point lead over Bernie.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/state/nevada

And since Im posting the numbers. I'll add that Bernie also dominated with union households. This flies in the face of the media narrative going into Nevada. It destroys the narrative that unionized workers dont support M4A (34%, double digits over Biden, my goodness!)

Ive noticed since Nevada, where these two above narratives were brought into question, we see the narrative immediately switch to red baiting. Both sides are pushing it too :facepalm: 

Except you're not addressing Padme's original point: young people don't vote.  It doesn't matter if Sanders crushes every demographic under 64.  A candidate still has to appeal to (or not utterly turn off) the older demographic if he or she wants a chance of winning.  

Also keep in mind this was a Democratic caucus.  It's not indicative of how the entire country will vote in November.  

9 minutes ago, downzy said:

Any proclamations that ABC suspended him because he advocated for a universal health insurance; reigning corporations, and cutting down on billionaires is absurd. 

What got him suspended was criticizing ABC for using their news platforms for promoting Disney products.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/abc-news-suspends-correspondent-david-wright-after-project-veritas-sting/2020/02/26/764efc06-5849-11ea-9b35-def5a027d470_story.html

In a statement Wednesday, ABC News said, “Any action that damages our reputation for fairness and impartiality or gives the appearance of compromising it harms ABC News and the individuals involved. David Wright has been suspended, and to avoid any possible appearance of bias, he will be reassigned away from political coverage when he returns.”

1 hour ago, TheSeeker said:

Again, it’s a reach to suggest that Wright privately supporting universal healthcare is akin to showing political bias and the reason for his suspension. 

I thought you were done posting nonsense, and posting in general, in this thread. 

11 hours ago, Padme said:

But most of them don't vote. That's the problem.

And maybe they will vote in the general election if it is Bernie. 

13 hours ago, Lio said:

Yeah, and I think that's sad. The future depending on someone who's almost 80? Sounds very ironic.

Because they see the younger candidates as Republican lite. They are not buying bullshit like Medicare for all "for those who want it" and only partially paid tuition where the first two years are the least expensive. They would be fine with Warren as well

One has to wonder that were the Corona virus spreads to all corners of the planet and results in the infection of millions of Americans Trump throws Pence under the bus and finds a new running mate for re-election.

If I'm Pence right now I'm really hoping the virus doesn't cause too much disruption come the Republican convention in July.  

11 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

ERv319ZWAAAHRUL?format=jpg&name=900x900

Fuck offffffffff :lol:  Thats gotta be a joke surely? :lol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, downzy said:

One has to wonder that were the Corona virus spreads to all corners of the planet and results in the infection of millions of Americans Trump throws Pence under the bus and finds a new running mate for re-election.

If I'm Pence right now I'm really hoping the virus doesn't cause too much disruption come the Republican convention in July.  

He’s  really throwing Pence under the bus with this 🤣 which is fine, he’s a cunt but it’s also obviously a cynical attempt to ditch him.

38 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuck offffffffff :lol:  Thats gotta be a joke surely? :lol:

Nope! It’s from Chuck’s Instagram 

Edited by Angelica

1 hour ago, Angelica said:

He’s  really throwing Pence under the bus with this 🤣 which is fine, he’s a cunt but it’s also obviously a cynical attempt to ditch him.

Nope! It’s from Chuck’s Instagram 

Thats gonna do him favours eh, a black militant rap group, he's not thought this through, has he? :lol:

I think it'll be great!!

Only potential pitfall is if Professor Griff performs with them. He did appear on their most recent album (2017). But we're ready for those attacks with or with out Griff.

I haven't really been following this too closely, but if Bernie becomes the candidate, does he even have a chance against Trump? Isn't he too far-left for a country like the US?

This won't ever be an issue brought up in the campaign, but this is extremely interesting. Bernie knows that Israel can't remain a Jewish state if simultaneously they have a democracy and make all of the non-jews within it's borders full citizens. I would have to think on this to see what belief I would hold if I were a Jew.

The conversation on Israel starts at 5 minutes in if you want the full context.

28 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I haven't really been following this too closely, but if Bernie becomes the candidate, does he even have a chance against Trump? Isn't he too far-left for a country like the US?

In theory, yes. But it will be close regardless. The era of Nixon or Reagan like landslides are over.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

At this point, I'm not sure anyone can beat Trump. The last debate was a mess. All they did was yell at each other and talk shit about each other. Do any of these candidates have the sense to become President?

I still don't understand how people would still vote for Trump again, if so many of us are just not happy with him? 

Is there anyone out there who can be trusted to do the right thing? We are all waiting for someone to say exactly what they will do as President, but all they do is yell at each other and if they have a plan, they're not sure how to pay for it? We are so fucked yet again!

Maybe Oprah or Michele Obama should have really thought seriously about running for President. I think it could have been a good thing for everyone.

He doesn't believe in free trade either, so everyone in Britain should really be hoping the yanks vote for Trump since we desire a Anglo-US trade deal.

5 hours ago, soon said:

I think it'll be great!!

Not if he fancies winning any elections it ain’t.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

He doesn't believe in free trade either, so everyone in Britain should really be hoping the yanks vote for Trump since we desire a Anglo-US trade deal.

Trump is so fickle that if you're relying on him you are already fucked :lol:

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Trump doesn't believe in free trade either.

Free trade as is discussed here is a neoliberal device. Brexit claimed it was rejecting neoliberalism. But here we are.

Just now, soon said:

Free trade as is discussed here is a neoliberal device. Brexit claimed it was rejecting neoliberalism. But here we are.

If @DieselDaisy thinks that Trump is in any way going to give the UK a decent free trade deal he's sadly mistaken.

30 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Trump doesn't believe in free trade either.

Trump is free-trade lite. He redid NAFTA, but only made slight changes to the deal so he could claim he 'got a win.' So, essentially, we still have free trade. Again, don't pay attention to his rhetoric, pay attention to the actual policies.

24 minutes ago, Dazey said:

If @DieselDaisy thinks that Trump is in any way going to give the UK a decent free trade deal he's sadly mistaken.

We'll see who is right, but you have more chance under Trump than you do under someone who demonstrably repudiates free trade: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1246604/brexit-news-bernie-sanders-shatter-boris-johnson-us-trade-deal-eu-spt

Edited by DieselDaisy