[Poll] Use Your Illusion I vs. II

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion/

Guns N’ RosesUse Your Illusion records collectively represent one of the more impressively ambitious hard rock statements of the ’90s, but what if you could only keep one of them?

That’s the question we’re posing during this installment of Clash of the Titans, which forces you to choose between the two volumes of Axl Rose‘s magnum opus. This isn’t the first time we’ve sought your help in whittling down Illusion‘s epic 30-song length: In a previous poll, readers curated their own 14-track single-disc edition of the albums as a counterpart to the 12-track edited version that was shipped to retail chains reluctant to carry the complete (and potentially offensive) releases. But this time, instead of altering the running order, you have to pick between Illusion‘s halves.

The first volume, which debuted at No. 2 on the charts, contains 16 songs adding up to more than 75 minutes of music, including the singles “Don’t Cry,” “Live and Let Die” and “November Rain.” Volume two, which debuted at No. 1 and ultimately ended up selling slightly more copies, spawned five singles: “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door,” “Yesterdays,” “Civil War,” “Estranged” and the Terminator 2: Judgment Day-associated “You Could Be Mine.”

But sales and singles tell only part of the story — and given that Use Your Illusion was assembled as a cohesive statement split in two, each volume expresses a facet of GNR’s evolution to that point, from songs written early in their history (“Don’t Cry,” which appears on both volumes) to epic-length sonic workouts (Illusion I‘s 10-minute “Coma”; Illusion II‘s nine-minute-plus “Estranged”). Each volume also includes a cover, with Paul McCartney‘s “Live and Let Die” surfacing on Illusion I and Bob Dylan‘s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” on Illusion II.

Each volume has its highlights, but only one can emerge victorious from this Clash of the Titans match-up. Which one gets your vote? Check out both albums below, and remember: You can return to the polls once every hour. This Clash of the Titans will stay open until Sept. 20, 2015, at 11:59PM ET.

Edited by AxlsMainMan

I voted for Volume 2, as it represents a more mature and musically "smarter" side of GnR since the majority of the tracks on that record were written post-AFD and therefore better represent where the band was at that point.

Volume 1 is mostly just a collection of AFD leftovers, and my philosophy is that if a song is not considered for release the first time around (which in this case would be AFD), then chances are it's not that good at all. Most of the AFD leftovers on either Illusion feel that way to me (with the exception of a few gems like YCBM and such). But since the majority of these 80s leftovers are on the first disc, I tend to find that one to be less compelling or interesting.

• Like 1

I voted for Volume 2, as it represents a more mature and musically "smarter" side of GnR since the majority of the tracks on that record were written post-AFD and therefore better represent where the band was at that point.

Volume 1 is mostly just a collection of AFD leftovers, and my philosophy is that if a song is not considered for release the first time around (which in this case would be AFD), then chances are it's not that good at all. Most of the AFD leftovers on either Illusion feel that way to me (with the exception of a few gems like YCBM and such). But since the majority of these 80s leftovers are on the first disc, I tend to find that one to be less compelling or interesting.

Great post.

The only UYI I songs written at the time of AFD were NR, The Garden, DC, Back off Bitch, and Bad Obsession. The rest were post '87.

Great post.

I should add tho that even tho I prefer the second disc overall, the few songs on it that are bad are REALLY bad.

If Illusion were to have been just one record from the get-go, probably the best songs would've been everything from volume 2 but replace Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues, So Fine, and My World with Don't Damn Me, Perfect Crime, November Rain, and Double Talkin' Jive (with no random flamenco part), respectively.

I realize that may be too much for the 80-minute limit of a compact disc so maybe also cut off Dont Cry (it's kinda generic) and 14 Years (cause Izzy singing feels kinda out of place) for good measure

EDIT: some of the other songs from disc1 couldve also been b-sides

Edited by rocknroll41

The only UYI I songs written at the time of AFD were NR, The Garden, DC, Back off Bitch, and Bad Obsession. The rest were post '87.

Canter said the band played Perfect Crime at least a few times in 1985 (a video clip even exists of it), tho thag point is kinda mute since that's actually one of the few I like. Slash said in his book that Axl wrote Dead Horse years before they met (tho I'm not sure how accurate that is cause I coulda sworn Axl told Howard Stern in 1989 that he had only just started to learn guitar at that point).

I do get what you're trying to say overall tho. But even if the majority of tracks on volume1 were written post-AFD, the overall tone and feel of that particular collection still feels like the band was trying too hard to be something they just weren't anymore (which is an 80s metal band). Whereas on volume2 it generally sounds like they aren't afraid to grow and progress (but still be themselves, if that makes sense)

Canter said the band played Perfect Crime at least a few times in 1985 (a video clip even exists of it), tho thag point is kinda mute since that's actually one of the few I like. Slash said in his book that Axl wrote Dead Horse years before they met (tho I'm not sure how accurate that is cause I coulda sworn Axl told Howard Stern in 1989 that he had only just started to learn guitar at that point).

I do get what you're trying to say overall tho. But even if the majority of tracks on volume1 were written post-AFD, the overall tone and feel of that particular collection still feels like the band was trying too hard to be something they just weren't anymore (which is an 80s metal band). Whereas on volume2 it generally sounds like they aren't afraid to grow and progress (but still be themselves, if that makes sense)

Yeah I think Dead Horse was written around 1989 or so because Axl didn't know much on the guitar at that point - just two chords.

I guess as far as your point. I like UYI I because I feel it's similar enough to AFD, but is sort of the 'next step' in the AFD direction, whereas UYI II is more experimental and ballad flavored.

love both but II is better. it just has more stand out tracks

civil war, 14 years, yesterdays, knocking, breakdown, pretty tied up, locomotive, estranged, you could be mine all great

also i love the intro to get in the ring...i gotta learn how to play that one day

UYI II by far.

Knocking on heaven's dawawa, Shotgun Blues and the childish rant in GITR are the only songs i can't listen to.

Hell, I even dig My World.

But as people said, Civil War, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, Estranged, You Could Be Mine are all masterpieces.

So Fine is a nice song also. And Don't Cry Alt. Lyrics is in my opinion even better than the original version.

There's no point in discussing this in my opinion. The only songs in UYI I that are on that level are November Rain and Coma...

Edited by GNRfanMILO

1 for me,

1. Right Next Door, Dust, LALD, Dont Cry, Back Off Bitch, DTJ, NR, The Garden, Dont Damn Me, Dead Horse, Coma.

2. Civil War, 14, KOHD, Estranged, YCBM.

Always skip after KOHD straight to Estranged for me, and 1 is the heaviest of the two which i like.

I think UYI1 is the better album overall from start to finish. The collection of kickass songs on 1 trumps the collection of kickass songs on 2. The collection of ok songs on 1 trumps the collection of ok songs on 2 and the collection of songs that are complete filler on 1 are better than the filler on 2 so....... Both have some amazing songs but as a unit Use Your Illusion 1 is better