NU GNR 1997-2015

Ric Nightingale

So much hope was built up in the late 90's regarding Axl's new GNR line up. Indeed so much hope kept the dream alive for so many years. I honestly thought Chinese Democracy would never come out...but it did. Rather foolishly I thought in 2008 that this was the end of any delays in moving forward with a fresh direction. It could have been...so easily. Why Axl wasted such a clear opportunity to present 'NU GNR' as a viable and contemporary music prescence remains the biggest failure in my opinion. Some would argue that they weren't very good. I disagree...just watch this vid from 2006 in Germany.....they had fire and passion. They were great!! However, I think we all knew that an increased friendship with Izzy and Duff and their stage appearances with Axl spelled the end for this period of the band. Much as I love Bumblefoot and may I add having seen NU GNR twice I thought Ashba was a great crowd motivator too, It's time to move on (or backwards?). Guns N' Roses ARE Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven (though Matt seems more focused, so I wouldn't argue with his inclusion too). I guess what I'm saying is that the time feels right to bid NU GNR goodnight and greatly appreciate what a terrific live band they really were and welcome back the people that really made that music. I actually truly believe Axl is thinking the same too. He's talking to Slash again. Great friends and performing with Duff again. Always been very close to Izzy. A Guns N' Roses reunion will happen...I'm sure of it. But in the meantime let's remember how great NU GNR were too!

• Like 3

The show I saw in 2010 is still the best show I've ever been to. But by 2011, it had changed, but it was still great to see Duff and Izzy with the band (twice each; in 2011 and 2012 respectively).

Following the band in 2006 was exciting for me too, hearing the leaks and interviews, but that was also when I really got into bootlegs (of the new and original band). Probably 90% of the music I listened to that year were Guns bootlegs/demos/albums. The Chinese Democracy band was actually an awesome fucking band, I love some of the 2002 shows where Axl is listenable, but unfortunately his clean voice ruined a lot of shows from that era.

Axl and the band were still great in 2006 despite Rons lack of time to learn all the songs, but I think 2010 was the peak of the Chinese-era band. Axl was the best he'd been since the 90's vocally and was still running around the stage, and the band took a 'rawer' approach to the songs than the 2002 band, for lack of a better way to phrase it

I'm gonna laugh so hard if Axl's next press release says something to the effect of 'yea, Slash and I are friends again, but I'm still releasing CD2 first, here's the touring lineup: *random people* "
Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

So much hope was built up in the late 90's regarding Axl's new GNR line up. Indeed so much hope kept the dream alive for so many years. I honestly thought Chinese Democracy would never come out...but it did. Rather foolishly I thought in 2008 that this was the end of any delays in moving forward with a fresh direction. It could have been...so easily. Why Axl wasted such a clear opportunity to present 'NU GNR' as a viable and contemporary music prescence remains the biggest failure in my opinion. Some would argue that they weren't very good. I disagree...just watch this vid from 2006 in Germany.....they had fire and passion. They were great!! However, I think we all knew that an increased friendship with Izzy and Duff and their stage appearances with Axl spelled the end for this period of the band. Much as I love Bumblefoot and may I add having seen NU GNR twice I thought Ashba was a great crowd motivator too, It's time to move on (or backwards?). Guns N' Roses ARE Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven (though Matt seems more focused, so I wouldn't argue with his inclusion too). I guess what I'm saying is that the time feels right to bid NU GNR goodnight and greatly appreciate what a terrific live band they really were and welcome back the people that really made that music. I actually truly believe Axl is thinking the same too. He's talking to Slash again. Great friends and performing with Duff again. Always been very close to Izzy. A Guns N' Roses reunion will happen...I'm sure of it. But in the meantime let's remember how great NU GNR were too!

What is happening with Guns n Roses? How was it possible that the best band ever allowed itself to implode? Is Axl actually recording an album called Chinese Democracy? Is he really gonna use the Guns n Roses name even though by all accounts there is no one from GNR -- except Axl Rose himself -- on the band? When is this record gonna come out? Is it gonna sound like Nine Inch Nails? Is it gonna sound like Elton John? Is it gonna sound like Guns n Roses? Is Axl planning to perform Guns n Roses songs on live tours? Or is he gonna move into a completely different direction? Is Axl finally gonna bury Appetite for Destruction like he said he wanted to do on a 1989 MTV interview? Is Axl trying to do contemporary music? What is contemporary music? Is he gonna succeed? What is to succeed? Can Axl Rose rock the world of music again like he did on his twenties without the help of songwriters Izzy Stradln, Slash and Duff Mackagan? Who are the new musicians playing with Axl Rose? Why is it taking so long for them to record the album? Are they actual members of the new Axl Rose (Guns n Roses?) band? Or are they on salary? Are they making big money by playing with Axl? Would they play with Axl if it wasnt for the money? Are they good songwriters? Do they have any say on the songwriting? Do they want to play Guns n Roses songs? Do they have to play them? What is happening with Guns n Roses?

Every single line of this post is false.

haha some of the NuGnR worship is so out of control and hilarious I don't even have the words anymore. Some of you act as if they carried the GnR torch admirably and were a force to be reckoned with. I've never seen such dellusions in my life :lol:

Ona side note I wonder if the phrase "NuGnR" has grinded Axl's gears for years....

tl;dr

nuGNR ended when Buckethead left.

Nope.

It ended the minute BH was hired. That's when fakegnr became a complete joke.

lol a guy with a KFC bucket on his head then Axl with dreads and a oversized jersey

man that looked ridiculous

Don't forget Robin's classic GnR look. I mean seriously holy fuck. It's their own fault nobody took them seriously as Guns N Roses. Look at them. It was a total clown show.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

ok you got me Axl was never some great dresser but nonetheless the dreads and jersey were still ridiculous

i think it's easier to look past the biker shorts because of how awesome he was though...by this time he was in his 40's and looked like a wannabe then add in a guy with a chicken bucket on his head and a guy with the most ridiculous hair style ive ever seen and yeah bono is right its no wonder nobody ever took them seriously

Edited by -HollywoodRose-

GnR post 1997 is one big clusterfuck. I mean honestly:

- In 2001 and 2002 the band looked like a freak show. Goth Finck, Football Jersey Axl, Buckethead...

- In 2001 and 2002 Axl sounded very very Mickey.

- Chinese Democracy failed to come out before 2002. When it should have to have a decent chance

- Buckethead left in 2004. I hate his look and stage show, but there's little denying he was a creative force.

- Bumblefoot joined. Nice guy, but apparently not a good fit relationship-wise and in terms of how GnR works (or rather doesn't work).

- Finck looked great in 2006/2007. Axl sounded decent overall too. Then Finck left. There goes your other creative force

- When CD did come out in 2008 it was 6 to 10 years too late and it sounded shit. Not to mention it failed commercially.

- Irving Azoff is fired (thrice) and the utterly incompetent Team Complaints starts "managing" GnR.

- Ashba joined in 2009 (I think?). One of the worst that can happen to any band. It doesn't get any worse than this.

- There wasn't a followup to Chinese Democracy by 2010. Again, too little too late.

- From 2011 onward, Axl started sounding worse and worse. He didn't exactly look less bloated either.

- In 2014 Bumblefoot leaves, utterly frustrated.

- In 2015 Ashba, one of the worst guitarists ever, leaves GnR.

And I'm not even touching on all the public failures such as VMA's 2002 or Rock In Rio 2011 yet.

Really, the history of GnR in the 21st century is one big collection of fuckups really.

• Like 1

Jesus christ has nothing to do with it. A band with a guy wearing a KFC bucket on his head can't be taken seriously, especially if the band is called "Guns N'Roses". That's how it is. It's called reality.

So what! Everybody knew Buckethead was in the band and they still sold out places like Madison Square Garden, the hired hands selling out iconic arenas!

Buckethead is a very talented guitarist if you open your eyes & ears and listen without prejudice. Axl and co didn't do too bad... in the Nu Gnr era, yeah before captain obvious says one album in 20 years! They still sold a shit ton of records and kept an interest in Guns N' Roses throughout the world. When a spine of a band leaves Duff, Slash & Izzy...how the hell is it supposed to release new records every few years? I'm glad for Nu Gnr it's taken us to this point, if Axl would have dissolved the band after Slash left, would we even be posting on here? It would have eclipsed the wait for CD and the last 20 years as a fan of Guns it would have been a very quiet time to be a fan. I'm thankful for Nu-Gnr, if a reunion happens then great but if it's all based on pure speculation because two people had a conversation then I'm not sure it will happen until at least 2020.

2011 had its hiccups, but I think 2012-2014 were underrated. Aside from possibly Bridge and Rio (and even they had their highlights) I'm not sure GNR put on a bad show between 2010-2014. In retrospect that period was probably more consistently good in terms of live shows than any other point in the bands history.

• Like 3

Jesus christ has nothing to do with it. A band with a guy wearing a KFC bucket on his head can't be taken seriously, especially if the band is called "Guns N'Roses". That's how it is. It's called reality.

So what! Everybody knew Buckethead was in the band and they still sold out places like Madison Square Garden, the hired hands selling out iconic arenas!

Buckethead is a very talented guitarist if you open your eyes & ears and listen without prejudice. Axl and co didn't do too bad... in the Nu Gnr era, yeah before captain obvious says one album in 20 years! They still sold a shit ton of records and kept an interest in Guns N' Roses throughout the world. When a spine of a band leaves Duff, Slash & Izzy...how the hell is it supposed to release new records every few years? I'm glad for Nu Gnr it's taken us to this point, if Axl would have dissolved the band after Slash left, would we even be posting on here? It would have eclipsed the wait for CD and the last 20 years as a fan of Guns it would have been a very quiet time to be a fan. I'm thankful for Nu-Gnr, if a reunion happens then great but if it's all based on pure speculation because two people had a conversation then I'm not sure it will happen until at least 2020.

dude you have to go back to the picture of Axl smiling in the back of the police car...iconic pic

dude you have to go back to the picture of Axl smiling in the back of the police car...iconic pic

Ha. I'm sticking with Phil for now.