NU GNR 1997-2015

Ric Nightingale

Jesus christ has nothing to do with it. A band with a guy wearing a KFC bucket on his head can't be taken seriously, especially if the band is called "Guns N'Roses". That's how it is. It's called reality.

Exactly. They didn't look as a badass hard rock band anymore. GNR lost most of their fans with that crap.

By the way, CD sold only 2.6 million worldwide: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/269462/the-billboard-qa-axl-rose

Edited by IZZYISGNR

By the way, CD sold only 2.6 million worldwide: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/269462/the-billboard-qa-axl-rose

Obviously, it sold a lot more.

Source.

The source for 2.6 millions sold after two months is the article linked by IZZYISGNR (it is dated to February 2009).

No source for the statement "obviously, it sold a lot more", that follows from simple logic, unless you happen to believe that the record abruptly stopped selling after a mere two months in the market. I would think that the accumulated sale since February 2009 much have come to at least 1 million by now. But THAT is just guesswork.

Source.

The source for 2.6 millions sold after two months is the article linked by IZZYISGNR (it is dated to February 2009).

No source for the statement "obviously, it sold a lot more", that follows from simple logic, unless you happen to believe that the record abruptly stopped selling after a mere two months in the market. I would think that the accumulated sale since February 2009 much have come to at least 1 million by now. But THAT is just guesswork.

No, I do not believe it has stopped selling. But I don't think it's obvious it has sold a lot more. Why would you think it has sold at least 1 million more by now? maybe cause it's cheap, but it's not obvious at all imo.

The demand is not there and has not been there for years now.

Edited by Rovim

Jesus christ has nothing to do with it. A band with a guy wearing a KFC bucket on his head can't be taken seriously, especially if the band is called "Guns N'Roses". That's how it is. It's called reality.

Exactly. They didn't look as a badass hard rock band anymore. GNR lost most of their fans with that crap.

Conservatively, I'd say its at least around 7-8 million at this point.

Source.

No, I do not believe it has stopped selling. But I don't think it's obvious it has sold a lot more. Why would you think it has sold at least 1 million more by now? maybe cause it's cheap, but it's not obvious at all imo.

The demand is not there and has not been there for years now.

I never said it is obvious it has sold a milion more, I said it is obvious it has sold "a lot more [than 2.6 millions]". In fact, I explicitly said the 1 million number was just guesswork on my part. Do you want us to start arguing over what "a lot more" could mean? ;) Especially when it shoudl be obvious I was retorting to IZZYISGNR's claim that the record has only sold 2.6 millions to date and the "a lot more" just meant that that number was the absolute theoretical minimum.

As for why I think it must have sold at least an additional 1 million? Well, with 2.6 millions sold in the first two months only, I believe the sales in the succeeding months would be substantial. Sure, the sale usually drops quickly, and the the sale would never come close to what happened in the first months, but I would think there would be at least significant sales for the next few months, too, before it really slowed down. Additionally, the band toured across so many large markets promoting music from the record, that this should lead to additional and somewhat sustained sales. Tally over all the years since releaae, I believe the total global sales by now must be at least 3.6 millions. Again, this is not something I find obvious, but something I personally find probable.

I never said it is obvious it has sold a milion more, I said it is obvious it has sold "a lot more [than 2.6 millions]". In fact, I explicitly said the 1 million number was just guesswork on my part. Do you want us to start arguing over what "a lot more" could mean? ;) Especially when it shoudl be obvious I was retorting to IZZYISGNR's claim that the record has only sold 2.6 millions to date and the "a lot more" just meant that that number was the absolute theoretical minimum.

As for why I think it must have sold at least an additional 1 million? Well, with 2.6 millions sold in the first two months only, I believe the sales in the succeeding months would be substantial. Sure, the sale usually drops quickly, and the the sale would never come close to what happened in the first months, but I would think there would be at least significant sales for the next few months, too, before it really slowed down. Additionally, the band toured across so many large markets promoting music from the record, that this should lead to additional and somewhat sustained sales. Tally over all the years since releaae, I believe the total global sales by now must be at least 3.6 millions. Again, this is not something I find obvious, but something I personally find probable.

You said obviously it sold way more. Not 1 million. Still not obvious imo, considering the low demand for it since it sold, probably, around 3 millions. Very low demand. (no source)

Edited by Rovim

You said obviously it sold way more. Not 1 million. Still not obvious imo, considering the low demand for it since it sold, probably, around 3 millions. Very low demand. (no source)

Arguing that it must have sold less than 1 additional million because of low demand, is circular logic.

I assume the reason why you believe the demand is lower for this record than what is experienced with every record as time goes by, is due to the low retail price in the US - which is repeatedly brought up in these discussions. May I remind you that if so, you are extrapolating from a smaller market that may not be representable of the entire market? I have absolutely zero idea how the demand have been in markets like India and Indonesia compared to the US market, and for all I know the sales performance in these markets may be significantly diverging. We don't know, but still, I doubt that > 86 % of the sales of the record would have happened in the first 2 months of its lifetime, which corresponds to only ~ 2 %. I just don't think the sale performance has such an abrupt drop that soon after release :shrugs: .

Arguing that it must have sold less than 1 additional million because of low demand, is circular logic.

I assume the reason why you believe the demand is lower for this record than what is experienced with every record as time goes by, is due to the low retail price in the US - which is repeatedly brought up in these discussions. May I remind you that if so, you are extrapolating from a smaller market that may not be representable of the entire market? I have absolutely zero idea how the demand have been in markets like India and Indonesia compared to the US market, and for all I know the sales performance in these markets may be significantly diverging. We don't know, but still, I doubt that > 86 % of the sales of the record would have happened in the first 2 months of its lifetime, which corresponds to only ~ 2 %. I just don't think the sale performance has such an abrupt drop that soon after release :shrugs: .

Dollar Tree is why I believe. Other releases such as Greatest Hits are in more demand for example. It feels silly to me to guess how much it sold.

I don't think it obviously sold way more than 3 millions is all I'm saying. Is there a way to verify how much it sold? someone must know. Paul Huge or something.

Edited by Rovim

tl;dr

nuGNR ended when Buckethead left.

Nope.

It ended the minute BH was hired. That's when fakegnr became a complete joke.

lol a guy with a KFC bucket on his head then Axl with dreads and a oversized jersey

man that looked ridiculous

Don't forget Robin's classic GnR look. I mean seriously holy fuck. It's their own fault nobody took them seriously as Guns N Roses. Look at them. It was a total clown show.

hqdefault.jpg

I have always wondered, did Robin shave his head by himself? :P

So much hope was built up in the late 90's regarding Axl's new GNR line up. Indeed so much hope kept the dream alive for so many years.

I'd say it was curiosity more than hope of anything amazing. If a reunion does happen, Nu will probably be confined to the micro-footnotes of history like the Blaze Bailey, Ripper Owens, and John Corabi eras of Maiden, Priest, and Crue respectively.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

Good, FUCKING riddance.

Guns N' Roses was proof that we lived in a crazy future/present....

I hope Slash and Axl talking again will lead to Guns N' Roses reforming.

tl;dr

Nope.

lol a guy with a KFC bucket on his head then Axl with dreads and a oversized jersey

man that looked ridiculous
Don't forget Robin's classic GnR look. I mean seriously holy fuck. It's their own fault nobody took them seriously as Guns N Roses. Look at them. It was a total clown show.
hqdefault.jpg
I have always wondered, did Robin shave his head by himself? :P

I've always wondered is Slash was whitened up a bit and was in fact Buckethead this whole time!!!

I'm joking of course, but then their live shows with 2 lead guitars was a joke.

tl;dr

Nope.

That's probably because you're seeing it as the same band with different members but I treat nuGn'R as a complete different band that happened to cover the songs Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven and Matt co-wrote with Axl. :shrugs:

I don't know, but I liked nuGn'R.

Dollar Tree is why I believe. Other releases such as Greatest Hits are in more demand for example. It feels silly to me to guess how much it sold.

I don't think it obviously sold way more than 3 millions is all I'm saying. Is there a way to verify how much it sold? someone must know. Paul Huge or something.

Interscope, perhaps? But will they tell? :)

When I think of nugnr I think of endless missed opportunities: the album not coming out c.2001; the album not coming out c.2006; endless band departures; stinking up the VMAs, becoming a recluse when the album did come out, etc. It is almost like whenever there was a bit of momentum and excitement in the air, Axl would get that revolver out that he has been carrying all these years and shoot himself in the foot. That is my overriding impression of 'the new gnr era', miss opportunities, mishaps and self detonation.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

When I think of nugnr I think of endless missed opportunities: the album not coming out c.2001; the album not coming out c.2006; endless band departures; stinking up the VMAs, becoming a recluse when the album did come out, etc. It is almost like whenever there was a bit of momentum and excitement in the air, Axl would get that revolver out that he has been carrying all these years and shoot himself in the foot. That is my overriding impression of 'the new gnr era', miss opportunities, mishaps and self detonation.

that's what rock n roll is about. Its the same reason I love the ditch trilogy.

It bums me out, but this is exactly how I feel.

Hardly similar because of Young's prolifically. You miss out on Homegrown, then there is Tonight's the Night instead? And later again, Zuma. And this is all one year, 1975!

It bums me out, but this is exactly how I feel.

Same here.

Hardly similar because of Young's prolifically. You miss out on Homegrown, then there is Tonight's the Night instead? And later again, Zuma. And this is all one year, 1975!

Well, yeah but that's a different thing. What I"m talking about is how Neil was at his commercial zenith coming off Harvest and instead of giving people what they wanted he gave them what he wanted. The ditch trilogy is legendary now, but at that point- critics and fan were baffled by an album like Time Fades Away.