NU GNR 1997-2015

Ric Nightingale

When I think of nugnr I think of endless missed opportunities: the album not coming out c.2001; the album not coming out c.2006; endless band departures; stinking up the VMAs, becoming a recluse when the album did come out, etc. It is almost like whenever there was a bit of momentum and excitement in the air, Axl would get that revolver out that he has been carrying all these years and shoot himself in the foot. That is my overriding impression of 'the new gnr era', miss opportunities, mishaps and self detonation.

that's what rock n roll is about. Its the same reason I love the ditch trilogy.

Hardly similar because of Young's prolifically. You miss out on Homegrown, then there is Tonight's the Night instead? And later again, Zuma. And this is all one year, 1975!

Well, yeah but that's a different thing. What I"m talking about is how Neil was at his commercial zenith coming off Harvest and instead of giving people what they wanted he gave them what he wanted. The ditch trilogy is legendary now, but at that point- critics and fan were baffled by an album like Time Fades Away.

The thing about Neil though is, you did not like album x, then album y is coming out in only a few months. It is constant activity and never dull and it is usually not wasted - especially at his peak - as that ditch trilogy found its crowd. With Axl his mistakes lead to long periods of exile and crippling boredom on our part

To me, Slash and Axl Rose both did more or less the same...

To me, Axl got a bunch of unknowns (I know Buckethead done Power Rangers Theme, 'I think') but still, never heard of Buckethead until NU' GN'R... - and got them to play Guns N' Roses tunes...

Slash got his Conspirators and Myles Kennedy to play Guns N' Roses too, and, again, to me, personally, I never heard of Myles Kennedy (though he was doing something before Slash) or the Conspirators before Slash.

Axl and his 'all be it weird looking' backup doing their tunes & Guns N' Roses

Slash and his backup doing their tunes & Guns N' Roses

Example

This was probably never going to see Slash & Axl on the same stage so, am not surprised @

But that last one's funny as it lacks Axl Rose, and just Axl Rose (and Izzy, but, Gilby was there :) ) so, if you ever meet someone who time traveled to now from 1992, you could show this Guns N' Roses 2012 Hall of Fame performance of Sweet Child O' Mine and lie to them and justify it by saying Axl Rose died in 1997 or something, and by the looks of that performance - They'd be none the wiser and you could just spare them the more exciting but complicated truth about Nu GN'R and if/when they return to 1992 they'd think Axl Rose'll somehow die in 5 years time and thus unable to be there, and when that don't happen and they see the rise of Nu GN'R ... An added bonus (for you, the one from the present sick enough to do this); They might, perhaps THINK that their time travel to now/2015 where they saw that 2012 video saved Axl from dieing in 1997 (though he never did) and that person from the past could be fascinated with the butterfly effect of their time travel to the future! (Lol!) somehow 'saving' Axl Rose's life lol and then after the Nu GN'R rise etc... and when Guns N' Roses get inducted in 2012, they could see that, still see there is no Axl! - but think (because you sent them back believing Axl Rose dies in 1997), about that perhaps they somehow saved his life, and that THAT Sweet Child O' Mine video from 2012 with Myles Kennedy was destiny no matter if Axl lived or died, and then they'd have to worry about alternate timelines they're now trapped in, what could have otherwise been for them, even though it was 1 timeline all along and Axl never died, rather than explaining Nu' GN'R to someone here fresh off the boat from 1992 real quick.

Feel free to poke holes in that, but, in theory, it could work, persuming both ways of time travel are 'human being alive' friendly, for lack of a better word/term.

Edited by Snake-Pit

When I think of nugnr I think of endless missed opportunities: the album not coming out c.2001; the album not coming out c.2006; endless band departures; stinking up the VMAs, becoming a recluse when the album did come out, etc. It is almost like whenever there was a bit of momentum and excitement in the air, Axl would get that revolver out that he has been carrying all these years and shoot himself in the foot. That is my overriding impression of 'the new gnr era', miss opportunities, mishaps and self detonation.

That's why I always say Axl crossed the line of being emotional or immature or whatever. He acted in a stupid way, he was stupid. I'm pretty sure he avoided doing many things because of vibe sniffers and things like that, which makes him even more stupid in my eyes. The guy as a singer is a GENIUS, he's also a good pianist and songwriter. As a human being and businessman? Not very much.

Edit: WAS a genius

Edited by maynard

• 3 years later...

Afte years of hoping for a reunion I came to tears and accepted it would never happen. At that point I just wanted slash and Axl to be cool again and maybe one day Slash would make a guest appearance. GNR being my favorite all time band and me being a die hard true fan, I treated it just me a sports team situation. On your favorite football,baseball, basketball etc. our favorite players and coaches come n go. We usually stay fans of the players/coaches and follow them and support them but we stay true to our team. That’s how I pretty much dealt with it. 

I didn’t care for the “circus” lineup from 98-04 with buckethead and his robot dance numb chuck act, or Robin Finck and his whole gothic NIN look. It just was not GNR in anyway. I’m a fan of both  Finck and Bucket head but they weren’t GNR. They played great on Chinese Democracy but it looked like a circus on stage. Once Axl Finally got a legit band/lineup with Bumblefoot,Fortus,Ashba on guitar along with the man Tommy Stinson on bass, of course Dizzy fuckin reed and Frank on drums it was legit. I hate Chris pitman, I never liked him but he did do the band some justice. It was a legit band and a great show. At this point it was more like Axl Rose featuring...playing GNR. Me being a HUGE Replacements fan and tommy Stinson becoming the bassist in 98 i was stoked! Being a bassist myself Tommy is my all time favorite bassist.

it was a legit band. You had Ashba bringing back a sorta “ slash” vibe with smokin cigs on stage, top hat and les Paul’s. Fortus kinda looks like izzy and is just a brat all around guitarist. Plays from the heart and never plays anything the same twice. Bumblefoot is perhaps an all time great as far as technicality.Tommy Stinson brought that punk rock attack and vibe much like Duff and held the rhythm section down brilliantly.dizzy was dizzy as always and frank did a solid job with the drums while kinda making so,e of the beats his own.chinese Democracy is an awesome album! The live show was much like a GNR live show was. Each of the guitarist had their little solo act, Tommy would have his segment much like Duff when he would sing attitude, they had these little jams and renditions like always, a big production and a 3 hour show like always. It was the “NU” GNR. I accepted it and was a fan of the band.