Ballad of Death

fred_carston

Even if 99% of GNR fanbase don't like DJ Ashba, he is a smart and good bussinessman , I don't think he would record it in GNR studios or somewhere where Axl could have advantage of his material. After all he knew he was in the band for a reason, and the reason was not to make an album or something.He may use it in the next SIXX:AM album. Mi Amor and Ballad of Death were good but nothing exciting..

Edited by JaxTeller
  • Like 1

Since the Guns N' Roses DJ Ashba was part of is not really a band but a solo project which Axl has bought the rights to call it like a band that used to exist, I don't see the point of having an instrumental track with no contributions from the solo artist Axl Rose. In a live environment I get it, it's a good break to his voice and for people to go the the restroom or grab another drink...

If Axl agreed to add it to his solo record from his solo project called Guns N' Roses, I can see him cutting, copying and pasting the notes to lolfit his lolvision.

If generic is now considered good, Ballad of death could be considered a really good song. Unfortunately, generic is a bad thing in a musical context. It's not a good song, and I don't even think that it could be shaped into a good song (even with Axl vocals).

Let DJ have the song(s) they would only stink up a Guns album.

Before anyone gets carried away saying how It really is a great song, and that I just don't like DJ so I can't appreciate his genius... look at it this way. Both of those songs were thrown together for solo spots, solo spots are throw away moments during an otherwise entertaining gig. The main problem with his "instrumentals" is that they go nowhere (interesting) melodically, and have no dynamics. As a 1.5 minute piece it might be OK, but as a 3/4 minute piece it's just boring, predictable and the exact opposite of the intention of a solo spot (to be entertaining).

• Like 1

I don't know how IP laws work I the US and I am a UK guy, but in the UK most employment contracts have a clause stating that any relevant IP (in this case a song) becomes the property of the employer. Now given that Ashba wrote it to be performed as part of the GNR brand, it would probably belong to the employer, in this case, GNR (aka Axl).

You see it happen a lot with video games, namely the recent MGS debacle with Kojima and Konami. Maybe it is somewhat analogous, but as I said I'm not a US lawyer, I'm a UK lawyer.

xXx