Closer to Axl

Słash

So uh, Del James is like Charles Dickens because they both wrote about the urban underbelly? I think where the two part is that Dickens could actually write and moreover was the first of his kind of write tales of that sort. Are you saying that everybody that ever wrote about urban working class envoirnments is worthy of comparison to one of the greatest writers of modern history?

Charles Dickens was a genius, he was infected by genius, his effect on the sphere on literature is almost impossible to quantify, it reaches beyond his era and into the modern age, the rich imagery that Dickens evoked and what it presented the world with is something that literature has still not really recovered from, how on EARTH is he in any way comparable with some writer of shit fiction whoose only heard of because a deluded rockstar in his pomp decided to loosely base some music videos around his work?

Where are Del Jameses best sellers? Where are the extensive write ups and accolades throughout the literary community? Why is he not taught in modern literature classes? Why has no one ever heard of him that isn't a Guns n Roses fanatic? I mean do you understand, do you have any idea how lacking in value ones writing must be in the field of literature that the only way it gets notice is by association to something as comparitively puerile as rock n roll or a rock n roll band?

Were Del Jameses writing anything approaching the quality of Charles Dickens someone other that a mentally challenged Guns n Roses fan on an internet forum would have noticed, surely.

What a ridiculous thing to say, they are comparable because they both wrote about the urban underbelly. How vague and insubstantial and ridiculous is that as a comparison? By that rationale David Haye and Jesus Christ are comparable...because look, they both made comebacks right? And of course the rest is subjective :lol:

Subjective my fuckin' arse, Nicholas Nickelby being better than The Language of Bollocks is not subjective, it's just a fucking fact.

Edited by Len B'stard

Have you read Language of Fear, Len? Absolutely terrible. Full of puerile slasher stories and stories about L.A junkies. I am going to have to quote that line for you about female genitalia being like 'salami'!

Edited by DieselDaisy

The thing about opinions is that, when unsubstantiated, they are entirely worthless. Ergo, your or my opinion or emotional responses to a given thing, in a sober rational conversation where literature or the arts are being discussed, are completely worthless unless substantiated by an understanding of the topic at hand.

But no, apparently, in the eyes of a Guns n Roses fan, Axl Rose and Del James meeting is the modern day equivalent of Beethoven and Charles Dickens meeting to engage in creative work :lol:

The thing about opinions is that, when unsubstantiated, they are entirely worthless. Ergo, your or my opinion or emotional responses to a given thing, in a sober rational conversation where literature or the arts are being discussed, are completely worthless unless substantiated by an understanding of the topic at hand.

But no, apparently, in the eyes of a Guns n Roses fan, Axl Rose and Del James meeting is the modern day equivalent of Beethoven and Charles Dickens meeting to engage in creative work :lol:

I know it is not your intention, but you just keep making my day ! :heart:

Have you read Language of Fear, Len? Absolutely terrible. Full of puerile slasher stories and stories about L.A junkies. I am going to have to quote that line for you about female genitalia being like 'salami'!

I read a couple of passages, honestly it just seemed really really REALLY poorly written? Like a man with a personal attraction to this hackneyed idea, this cliche of a lurid sunset strip Los Angeles who decided that that fact alone was enough substance to begin writing a book on.

I know it is not your intention, but you just keep making my day ! :heart:

How do you know it's not my intention? I strive to make the day of everyone i meet my dear :lol: Have you ever read any Dickens?

Edited by Len B'stard

Actually I had a stalker who was very similar to a guy Del wrote about in one of his stories totally harass me at the matinee of CREED on Wednesday. When the movie was 3/4 of the way through he actually had the nerve to come sit next to me. I got up and was going to run out of the theater but fortunately a really nice homie was sitting at the end of the row and I asked if I could sit next to him for protection. So yeah art imitates life.

Thank you, great story...have you ever read any Dickens though?

Yes. A Christmas Carol, A Tale of two Cities, David Copperfield, And Great Expectations. I have seen a lot of BBC productions as well. I love modern interpretations of his work as well. Remember the Bill Murray movie SGROOGED? There is this rap group called the Q Brothers that put on this super cool hip hop versions of A Christmas carol and Othello at the Chicago Shakespeare theater that are mind blowing modern interpretations.

She comes across like a teenage school girl. That is the best way I can put it: a teenage school girl. I think she even mentioned liking Twilight.

More like Elle Woods. She wore a lot of pink, but she did graduate from Harvard Law School. I graduated from University of Michigan.

Yes. A Christmas Carol, A Tale of two Cities, David Copperfield, And Great Expectations. I have seen a lot of BBC productions as well. I love modern interpretations of his work as well. Remember the Bill Murray movie SGROOGED? There is this rap group called the Q Brothers that put on this super cool hip hop versions of A Christmas carol and Othello at the Chicago Shakespeare theater that are mind blowing modern interpretations.

Whats your understanding of Great Expectations, what do you make of it, what do you think it's about, where is value to it, in your opinion?

I refuse to believe Annie is being serious.

Very serious. I took a totally awesome screenwriting class with the great Bob McKee. he talked about the difference between STORY talent and literary talent. he said literary talent is failry common but that story talent is rare. maybe Del is not quite the same caliber of literary talent as Dickens but he certainly had story talent when it came to the Sunset strip in the 80's. And some of his stories really would make a great episode of SUPERNATURAL.They always weave rock and roll music into their stories. One episode Sam said to dean, "Is everything a Bob Seeger song to you?" Dean said yes. Guess it's the same with a diehard GNR fan.

Whats your understanding of Great Expectations, what do you make of it, what do you think it's about, where is value to it, in your opinion?

The past can be a prison if we let it be that way. Miss Havisahm is the epitome of bitterness. And Dickens was forced to change the ending due to Victorian sentimentality. In the original ending Estelle was supposed to have remarried somebody else but in the ending we all read she ends up with Pip.

No, I'm not trying to say anything, i am flat out stating that you're a liar :lol:

No a visionary. Hey Chicago is the site for major protests and possible riots today from that horrific cover up of a white police officer shooting a black unarmed teenager 16 times. And yesterday somewhere in da hood was a homie telling his family how a skinny white girl came running up to him for help while he was watching the movie CREED. I was also riding home with someone on the CTA who was very close with the young shooting victims family. I offered my condolences which are not nearly enough but she still appreciated it.

Edited by Little EMO Annie

So tell me about the Dickens you've read? :lol:

darling I already told you . I know you like to have the last word so I'm not going to make anymore comments. I love Christmas carol and a Tale of 2 cities. Redemption stories. Dickens exposed the horrors of child abuse in David Copperfield and the plight of those living in poverty.

And darling, all i asked you for was an explanation of what you make of them, some sort of assessment of them as works of literature...and all you can come up with is stuff you could get off of a two line synopsis. And the reason for that is you haven't read them, have you? :lol: You just throw Dickens out there cuz it's big name and you're having a hot flush over Del James because he has something to do with an old fat ginger rockstar that you fancy :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

And darling, all i asked you for was an explanation of what you make of them, some sort of assessment of them as works of literature...and all you can come up with is stuff you could get off of a two line synopsis. And the reason for that is you haven't read them, have you? :lol: You just throw Dickens out there cuz it's big name and you're having a hot flush over Del James because he has something to do with an old fat ginger rockstar that you fancy :lol:

I have read them. I don't feel like writing a book report. I liked Del for himself. I thought WITHOUT YOU was a great story. And getting a chance to chat with him gave me the confidence to go to the stage door of a Broadway theater to personally hand Michael C Hall my totally awesome DEXTER fan fiction. I remember telling Del that if I didn't think it was good I wouldn't be flying all the way to NYC to hand it to him. and yes, I did start watching DEXTER cuz Axl Rose is/was a fan. And next week when I go see Michael in David Bowies new musical LAZARUS I am going to go to the stage door again and ask Michael if he liked it!

I have read them. I don't feel like writing a book report. I liked Del for himself. I thought WITHOUT YOU was a great story. And getting a chance to chat with him gave me the confidence to go to the stage door of a Broadway theater to personally hand Michael C Hall my totally awesome DEXTER fan fiction. I remember telling Del that if I didn't think it was good I wouldn't be flying all the way to NYC to hand it to him. and yes, I did start watching DEXTER cuz Axl Rose is/was a fan. And next week when I go see Michael in David Bowies new musical LAZARUS I am going to go to the stage door again and ask Michael if he liked it!

No one asked you for a book report my dear, just an explanation that reflected some level of understanding or having actually read the book...but then thats a tall order for someone whoose just making shit up i suppose :lol:

No one asked you for a book report my dear, just an explanation that reflected some level of understanding or having actually read the book...but then thats a tall order for someone whoose just making shit up i suppose :lol:

I am not making shit up, but you can believe what you want to believe.