which songs dose Izzy Stradlin plays lead guitar on Guns N' Roses ablums ?

Good point that Slash played the solo in 1991 when Izzy was around. Booklet is likely wrong.

But live that solo is way more complicated and in a lot of bands people switch solo's live or play parts that on the record another member played, so it doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't Izzy.

I don't know, I always thought it was Slash, but I don't think anyone can be as sure as they are here.

Not often! It merely raises the question, why would Slash play Izzy's part when the band played live, or conversely, why would Izzy play Slash's part in the studio; NB the early date of Rio 2 (January 1990) in comparison to the release of Use Your Illusion I (September '91). The band were literally recording those live debutantes in the studio, at the same time.

You're right, not often, but it happens. Who says it was Slash's part to begin with? Izzy wrote the song, he wrote the solo, so it wouldn't be that crazy to think he played it in the studio. Maybe he didn't play it live because he isn't the best lead guitarist, especially not compared to Slash, and while on the album he played both rhythm and lead electric guitar on that track, live Slash either had to play the rhythm or the lead part and lead would make more sense.

Izzy plays the first half of the first Nightrain solo. He plays the Double Talkin Jive solo except for the acoustic outro I think, Think About You solo. Izzy plays that great rhythm electric guitar on One On A Million that totally evolved the song.

Definitely no leads on Estranged.

You can totally tell its Slash playing Double Talkin Jive, that vibrato is finger print like.
Sounds like Slash, but it is Izzy. He's playing the same setup as Slash and so it sounds similar. I think the liner notes credit Izzy also. Acoustic outro definitely slash though.
Wrong. And it's easy to know because Slash tells many times, how many guitars he used on the "UYI" recordings. And he specified, Izzy used only one guitar(maybe a LPJ double cutaway, if anybody must confirm ?) during UYI sessions. Izz has written lyrics & basic music of "Double Talkin Jive", he sings the song, but Slash has performed both solos ! Izzy and Slash has différent tones and it's Slash tone, no doubt... For the electric solo, he used probably his Les Paul 59 replica and for the acoustic part he used a Ramirez.
not ramirez, it's flamenco !

Guitar World : "Your solo guitar on "Double Talkin' Jive" is really impressive..."

Slash : "Thanx. I loved to make this stuff. This Ramirez is one of my best guitar's digging ; very expensive, but wonderful."

Slash, guitar world magazine, 1992.

Edited by okrkda

Poor Slash never gets the credit he deserves for his killa melodies.

That is the most ridiculous statement... Slash gets all the credit and Izzy gets barely any... Izzy gets nothing and if some would have their way, Izzy would be Slash's shadow to heap more praise on Slash...

• Like 1

Speaking of guitar interplay, any musicians here record at a studio and have the engineer/producer sneer/try to steer away from any sort of guitar interplay like on appetite? Most places I've worked with they just want the left and right rhythm tracks doing to same thing. O

Slash has been playing crazy leads for a long time everywhere but in the album lol.

none of these is GNR

first one its just someone soloing over a loop of the rhythm acoustic guitar track of DTJ on UYI

second one just someone soloing over a loop of a live track of DTJ, maybe from the UYI tour, maybe from just a shitty cover band

Izzy plays the opening riffs on YCBM?

I saw this clip of Rock in Rio and Izzy is centre stage playing those intro riffs.

YCBM is one of those songs where Izzy is pretty audible without having to make an effort to hear him unlike the rest of UYI 2.

Slash definitely took over. It's a shame really. The guitar interplay between him and Izzy was one of the best things about the band. A big part of the sound. Slash still did incredible work. Every solo so expressive and great. But we lost that guitar interplay. The only place you can get that guitar interplay is Appetite. In a way it makes the album even more special. No one ever recreated that. Not even Guns. Ghost was a nice reminder why Slash sounds the best with Izzy on rhythm.

Izzy supposedly wasn't around much for the recording. He did his takes and left? He didn't stay and make sure it was done a certain way. I guess he wasnt that into Estranged or Coma. I think that is where the band is falling apart, going in different directions.

No they don't. They state:

Lead and rhythm guitars: Izzy

Classical guitar outro: Slash

You may be able to say whatever you want, that distorted main solo is the #34 Modded SIR Marshall JCM 800 2203 with 6550 output tubes and greenback loaded speaker cab. Its the guitar version of DNA man. That sizzle that amp has is only in Slash's rig.

Any guitar player knows that it is Slash's solo. I have several guitar books that even state that as fact. Also Izzy always played his own solos live, "Think About You", Nightrain & ect.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

Slash has been playing crazy leads for a long time everywhere but in the album lol.

none of these is GNR

first one its just someone soloing over a loop of the rhythm acoustic guitar track of DTJ on UYI

second one just someone soloing over a loop of a live track of DTJ, maybe from the UYI tour, maybe from just a shitty cover band

It IS GNR. That guitar is Slash and the old band too. Please refrain from posting any more dumb opinions. Its a demo. Guitar playing is finger print accurate, any guitarist will tell you that. No two guitarists sound alike no matter how hard one can try, this demo IS GNR hate to tell you.

The DTJ solo doesn't sound like something Slash would write. Is Slash playing Izzy's solo?

Slash composed all the solos he played on UYI I believe.

So is that Izzy playing the solo on DJT?

If you mean the electric guitar solo, it's Slash. If you mean the acoustic solo, that's also Slash.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

This version of DTJ is awesome

Some people claim it's fake, but Slash's tone is definitely there

To this day i still don't find out which bootleg/outtake contains this version...

The album version is shit anyway, lol

Izzy sung horrible, they cut the best solos the overall mixing on that particular track is just plain bad

none of these is GNR

The truth is both of these are real and came from an unidentified outtake tape...

Btw shitty cover band? this is easily the best version of DTJ i've ever heard...

The DTJ solo doesn't sound like something Slash would write. Is Slash playing Izzy's solo?

Slash composed all the solos he played on UYI I believe.
So is that Izzy playing the solo on DJT?

If you mean the electric guitar solo, it's Slash. If you mean the acoustic solo, that's also Slash.

jesus christ, do you seriously want to make shit up so desperately?

i believe the liner notes and the interviews, instead any of you....

• Like 1

Gotta love a good discussion.

However people are stating opinions here as fact.

All I know is my liner notes ALL state Izzy, and although the tone sounds like Slash, to me the playing could easily not be- 2:00-2:15 is very basic for Slash.

Has anyone asked on twitter yet?!