So this "reunion" is just a money grab?

I don't know how people could've become so attached to nuGNR. If you got so much enjoyment out of what little they did, more power to you. But you should have been realistic, they were always placeholders. It's crazy to see people champion for Frank, complain about the reunion and now turn on GNR! Then there are those special "fans" who are mad at Axl for reconciling with Slash.

Of course it is a cashgrab. But what is worse: It is some aging rockers who reunite despite the animosity between them and the words that have been said that it won't happen, while being applauded by deluded fans who pathetically want to relive their youth and/or experience something that once was but can never happen again. Not only does such a corporate, cynical reunion threaten to tarnish the memories of the band in its prime, it is also probably the end of the band as a creative entitity and signifies that no new music will ever be released. This is the absolute lowest point in the history of GN'R, and the culimination of recent years of steady decline -- and as such I guess it was as expected.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Desperate ramblings! GNR are about to turn a corner and fix the damage nuGNR caused. To say they're creatively dead is rubbish. They haven't been this alive since the 90s. To think Slash would rejoin only to go on a nostalgia tour, shows how little you know or care about the band, despite your fansite. There will be new music. There are already signs, but as usual you're refusing to see because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Of course it is a cashgrab. But what is worse: It is some aging rockers who reunite despite the animosity between them and the words that have been said that it won't happen, while being applauded by deluded fans who pathetically want to relive their youth and/or experience something that once was but can never happen again. Not only does such a corporate, cynical reunion threaten to tarnish the memories of the band in its prime, it is also probably the end of the band as a creative entitity and signifies that no new music will ever be released. This is the absolute lowest point in the history of GN'R, and the culimination of recent years of steady decline -- and as such I guess it was as expected.

I LOVE the fact you're pissed off about this. Your entire post makes you look likea complete fool. The nonsense you spew is so over the top it's embarassing. Even for you. I'm so happy clowns like you are pissed off about this. All you do is expose what fake GnR fans you are. A reunion ends the band as a creative entity? Seriously dude the band as a creative entity died in 1996 and if you think otherwise you need to get off the internet and go get seom fresh air for real.

Have you heard of Chinese Democracy? I rather take one more mediocre record like Chinese Democracy than the prospect of a bunch aging, dated rockers who reunite purely for a cashgrab nostalgia tour backed by deluded fans who think it will be anywhere near the greatness of the band in its prime.

• Like 1

well the argument that they don't need the money doesn't mean anything because you can never have enough

but as long as the shows are great im not really concerned with it being a cash grab.

now if they come out and Axl flubs lyrics and sings poorly and Slash plays sloppy and unmotivated then its a problem

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Desperate ramblings! GNR are about to turn a corner and fix the damage nuGNR caused. To say they're creatively dead is rubbish. They haven't been this alive since the 90s. To think Slash would rejoin only to go on a nostalgia tour, shows how little you know or care about the band, despite your fansite. There will be new music. There are already signs, but as usual you're refusing to see because it doesn't fit your agenda.

There's no agenda here, on either side. It is what we like and what we don't like, and what we think will happen and what we don't think will happen. I find the probability of new music after a reunion with Slash MUCH lower than the probability of new music if this reunion didn't happen. Sure, the probability is low no matter what :D But hell, if they reunite AND they actually release some original music, then I would be thrilled. There is nothign I want more than new music, and little I want less than nostalgia. I just don't see it happen. They could BARELY make it happen back in the early 90s, what has changed that has made Axl easier to work with since then? What in the history of Chinese Democracy even faintly suggests that this will happen and that Axl will be a breeze to work with? And what it is with a sober Slash that you think will tolaret Axl's ways? He quit the band because he couldn't take it back then. What has magically happened to Axl to make him easier to work with since then?

well the argument that they don't need the money doesn't mean anything because you can never have enough

but as long as the shows are great im not really concerned with it being a cash grab.

now if they come out and Axl flubs lyrics and sings poorly and Slash plays sloppy and unmotivated then its a problem

Just for the record, Slash is playing better than ever, so I think you can cross that off the worry list. He doesn't even drink anymore that I know of, maybe small amounts, but he quit smoking and drugs 6 years ago and is on the straight & narrow. I think if people saw him in concert now they'd be very happy. I seen him back in May and his playing quality was a million times tighter & more inspired than it was with VR and the VR concert I seen in 2005 I thought was EPIC!.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

What has magically happened to Axl to make him easier to work with since then?

Nothing has MAGICALLY happened. Growing up is pretty normal. It usually happens to everyone and I don't think Axl and Slash are exceptions. That's why they probably get along better than before.

Well, he is a grown-up for sure, but there is nothing in the Chinese Democracy process that suggests he has become easier to work with, more able to compromise, or is anywhere close to Slash when it comes to creating, recording and relesing music.

Regarding new music, i cannot think of a better reason tu put some new songs out there than this reunion.

For Axl i mean.

Hell, just re record "Crash Diet" and i'll be happy, for me it's all about the concerts and the chance to finally see the classic Guns, even it's only Axl, Slash and Duff.

I think there's an element of unfinished business for Slash and Duff.

If they can rekindle the chemistry they had with Axl and Izzy then that is something worth trying.

I'm hoping they can make a self titled record that can be the last GNR record.

I think the fact they didn't create shit together in 20 years will help with inspiration. Just the excitement of working together. I believe there's a chance.

they could make fresh music that Axl is into or even help Axl get some of his material finished and released. The power of the reunion could soften up the label. So it's a bit narrow minded to see it as purely a cash grab. The money opens up possibilities.

Nothing has MAGICALLY happened. Growing up is pretty normal. It usually happens to everyone and I don't think Axl and Slash are exceptions. That's why they probably get along better than before.

Well, he is a grown-up for sure, but there is nothing in the Chinese Democracy process that suggests he has become easier to work with, more able to compromise, or is anywhere close to Slash when it comes to creating, recording and relesing music.

Slash has probably grown up too. He knows that he can always create music with his own band while Axl works on the GNR stuff. There really shouldn't be a problem there between two grown ups.

Besides, one of the reasons why it took so long with Chinese Democracy was, because Axl was alone trying to create the magic he had with Slash and Duff. Now if the others are back in GNR, the songwriting process should be easier again. Everything's different compared to the nineties. There's no pressure of staying relevant while alternative rock bands are taking over. In my opinion everything's looking good for a reunion/ half reunion.

Edited by Lies They Tell

This is a totally different animal.

Rules of Axl's nuGnr do not apply to the reunion.

Once the classic GNR machine starts rolling, who knows what will happen.

Slash has probably grown up too. He knows that he can always create music with his own band while Axl works on the GNR stuff. There really shouldn't be a problem there between two grown ups.

Besides, one of the reasons why it took so long with Chinese Democracy was, because Axl was alone trying to create the magic he had with Slash and Duff. Now if the others are back in GNR, the songwriting process should be easier again. Everything's different compared to the nineties. There's no pressure of staying relevant while alternative rock bands are taking over. In my opinion everything's looking good for a reunion/ half reunion.

So Slash will step aside whenever Axl starts procratinating/doing nothing/focusing on other things and let Axl handle the recording/releasing aspect? Okay, that might work, but is there any reason to believe that will materialize in new music any sooner than Axl doing the same for the music he already has from the CD sessions?

Besides, Axl wasn't alone during the CD period, if you look at the credits it was pretty much similar sharing of credits as for the UYIs. They created the music together. The problem was that the contributing band members didn't really have a say in the matter, they had very little leverage over Axl to push him forward, so Axl was left to plod around and spend as much time as he wanted to finish the music. I just don't think Slash will accept being part of that. It goes against Slash philosophy of creating music. He wants things to be simple. He might say, 'fuck it' and leave Axl to it while he continues on other projects (just like other members in GN'R has being doing since the 90s), but again, I don't think that will result in music any sooner. What we NEED is someone who can motivate Axl to change his ways, and I do register that mnay here believe this will happen now, that the mere presence of Slash in the band, will change Axl, but I think that is a bit naivé, especially when looking at history.

This is a totally different animal.

Rules of Axl's nuGnr do not apply to the reunion.

Once the classic GNR machine starts rolling, who knows what will happen.

Well, if we can learn anything from history we can guess what will happen ;).

Do you seriously think Axl will allow Slash and Duff back into the band on equal terms, giving them the power to persuade/force/push Axl forwards in terms of creating and releasing music?

I seen him back in May.

Cringe.

You SAW him back in May.

So Slash will step aside whenever Axl starts procratinating/doing nothing/focusing on other things and let Axl handle the recording/releasing aspect? Okay, that might work, but is there any reason to believe that will materialize in new music any sooner than Axl doing the same for the music he already has from the CD sessions?

Personally I believe that the reason why CD2 has been delayed for such a long time is because the wheels have been in motion for a reunion longer than we have known. Axl hasn't released CD2, because there's been negotiations going on with Slash and Axl didn't want to go on with GNR before he knew if Slash is coming back to GNR or not. Of course this is only my guess.

If the negotiations are finished now and Axl has a clear vision of the future of GNR again, I guess there's a good chance that we might be getting new music in a not too distant future. After all Slash could just add some solos to CD2 songs. And they also have all those songs from the nineties that they could finalize now. Who knows how fast they could release new music? Hopefully quickly.

Besides, Axl wasn't alone during the CD period, if you look at the credits it was pretty much similar sharing of credits as for the UYIs. They created the music together. The problem was that the contributing band members didn't really have a say in the matter, they had very little leverage over Axl to push him forward, so Axl was left to plod around and spend as much time as he wanted to finish the music. I just don't think Slash will accept being part of that. It goes against Slash philosophy of creating music. He wants things to be simple. He might say, 'fuck it' and leave Axl to it while he continues on other projects (just like other members in GN'R has being doing since the 90s), but again, I don't think that will result in music any sooner. What we NEED is someone who can motivate Axl to change his ways, and I do register that mnay here believe this will happen now, that the mere presence of Slash in the band, will change Axl, but I think that is a bit naivé, especially when looking at history.

He wasn't alone, but he was the only person left of old GNR. (If you don't count Dizzy and I don't think we should) In that sense Axl was alone. He was the last man standing. All the pressure was on his shoulders. He had to create the magic of old GNR with the help of people who had never been a part of GNR. That is a huge pressure so it's kinda understandable that it took a lot of time to write Chinese Democracy.

Now if Slash and Duff are back, the songwriting process should be a lot easier. What ever they write together will pretty much automatically sound like GNR, because together they were the people who originally created the sound of GNR.

Edited by Lies They Tell

Well, if we can learn anything from history we can guess what will happen ;).

Do you seriously think Axl will allow Slash and Duff back into the band on equal terms, giving them the power to persuade/force/push Axl forwards in terms of creating and releasing music?

Yeah, we can guess wrong as well. It's not a black and white situation. Axl can give Slash and Duff enough freedom to do their thing, but not give them control over some things that can be a risk for his position of power.

So while I can't see him letting go of control where it matters, I think now, they can find a way to work together, or exchange musical ideas. Not to mention Axl probably has a lot of unreleased material, and even a song Slash was responsible for.

And it doesn't mean CD ll won't be released, it doesn't mean no new music will be released. Too early to jump to such conclusions imo. We don't know anything.

I think Fortus, Slash, Duff, and Axl have a chance to create something cool together if Izzy is in the mood to help them out. If the chemistry is still there (I think it is) they can use the best ideas they have or will come up with and they all agree are cool and fit into a Guns album. A lot of good shit can happen.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Well, I would much rather take a "reunion cash grab" -tour, than a "new Gn'R cash grab" -tour.

(Disclaimer: I like new Guns too, but if you're not moving forward with the band musically and your playing classic hits -setlists, then why not reunite and play those setlists with the people who wrote those songs?)

• Like 1

I am exciting about this reunion, but judging by people's reaction on the Internet, there is a chance this tour will not be as successful as the promoters are expecting. The reaction to the news has been mostly negative. I think Axl is going to have to be at his best at Coachella to change people's minds. Had this reunion taken place in the early 2000's (or 2006) people would have easily paid $275 and above. They could have gone on a 2 year tour and sold out every stadium in the world, Now I am not so sure.

Well, I would much rather take a "reunion cash grab" -tour, than a "new Gn'R cash grab" -tour.

(Disclaimer: I like new Guns too, but if you're not moving forward with the band musically and your playing classic hits -setlists, then why not reunite and play those setlists with the people who wrote those songs?)

Spot on, right here.

Yeah, if that is the alternative then I have few objections, too. As I said elsewhere: I don't care about nostalgia, I only want new music. If, as Lies They Tell speculate, this might result in a new record, possibly with CD material with Slash's contrbutions, then that is not bad at all, in fact, ANY new music at this stage is great!

• Like 1