Alan Niven interview today: Izzy will be involved in new music and reunion

Niven IS GnR.

Those two fuckheads kept interrupting him, was left waiting for the stories after the break?

There was one commercial in 45 minutes, wtf are you on about?

They where supposed to talk about some GNR stories after the commercials which they didn't do.

Thats what the fuck I'm talking about.

Axl released CD with vocal tracks that were eight years old by that point...good luck to the boys in getting him in the studio...

"Put the new ones next to the 2,000 other instrumentals. I'll get around to it...yeah, sure, OK...thanks."

Axl recorded his (killer) vocals for Angel Down in just a few sessions.

I hope he's smart enough to share production with his bandmates, and puts aside his "perfectionism"

I've been of the opinion for a while now that Izzy is involved. That's why all the bitching I've been reading has been pretty stupid imo. Of course Izzy is involved, he just doesn't want to tour full time. That's his prerogative, he has earned that right IMO.

That's why when people make the comments "no izzy, no adler, blah, blah, blah" just seen so unessiary. Clearly Izzy IS involved, especially in a writing capacity. And Adler will get a chance to play some of the appetite songs live. But as for bringing Adler back as an official memeber, it's just not really something that's needed, in reguards to new music. Izzy is different, he should be, and hopefully will be involved in New music, he just doesn't want to hoopla.

Bottom line, people bitching about Frank and Fortus need to chill. They are, what they always were, basically touring members. If a new album does become a reality, yes I bet they play on it to a certain extent, just like they did with CD. But the main core will be Axl, Slash, and Duff. With contributions from Izzy.

The only semi complaint that I think "can" be made, is that a new album or new music will be more in the vein of the illusions, than like Appetite. Appetite was 5 guys in a room, and very raw. But I do think those days overall are behind us. I don't think new music will be as over produced as CD, but I do think it will be polished like the Illusions. Not only that, they will be made by a small army of musicians including Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Fortus, Frank, Dizzy, and Pitman. With perhaps a guest apperance by Adler (maybe). But I for one don't mind this approach, it's still new music coming from the core 4. I am not going to sit and bitch about a drummer, especially one as touchy as Adler.

• Like 2

Axl released CD with vocal tracks that were eight years old by that point...good luck to the boys in getting him in the studio...

"Put the new ones next to the 2,000 other instrumentals. I'll get around to it...yeah, sure, OK...thanks."

I hope he's smart enough to share production with his bandmates, and puts aside his "perfectionism"

That's a fair point...it's an brief exception to his typical behavior and attitude towards these things, but a fair point. It was a great vocal take...

Let's just hope that he can let something go...

• Like 1

Niven IS GnR.

Those two fuckheads kept interrupting him, was left waiting for the stories after the break?

There was one commercial in 45 minutes, wtf are you on about?

They where supposed to talk about some GNR stories after the commercials which they didn't do.

Thats what the fuck I'm talking about.

They talked about GnR stories for 45 minutes......

I know Duff and Izzy were writing together late last year. Hopefully he's not confusing this with writing for GNR. But maybe it's all in the same. I'm hopeful. I would love a new album but not enough evidence for me to start imagining it being a reality.

I don't think Nevin is that naive. He seems to have his ear on all the go arounds. If he says that new gnr music has been worked on, I bet it has. Now will it ever see the light of day? That's a different question.

I also wouldn't be surprised if those recording sessions for August eventually turned into gnr writing sessions. That's how it worked often in the old days, Izzy has a song, then the rest add to it. By the time Axl and Slash add their magic to it, it becomes full blown gnr.

I was watching some old concerts from 2010 and Fortus really will fit nicely into the GNR lineup with Slash and Duff. He's excellent. I think we would all love to have Izzy there but if there's a guy that can fill that role then it's Fortus and not Gilby.

Also if all this is true with Izzy doing the song writing then sounds as if we could be getting the best of both worlds.

I think the closer we get to Coachella the more exciting this gets. It still doesn't seem real and won't be until they are actually on stage together.

• Like 2

it was obvious from the start when Kimmel was canceled it was due to unresolved issues with the line up.

wheather or not drummers or Izzy I don't know, but it couldn't had been anything else.

Izzy writting and recording but not taking part in the tour?

That is plain silly! I would love to see that. I don't buy it. You decide to return, write, record but not go up on the stage which is the peak.

why let someone else play your songs, share the money!?

I would still put my money on Izzy and Matt in, Fortus and Frank out ages ago.

I'm hoping Axl realized the way he went about making Chinese Democracy wasn't efficient...

it was obvious from the start when Kimmel was canceled it was due to unresolved issues with the line up.

wheather or not drummers or Izzy I don't know, but it couldn't had been anything else.

That is plain silly! I would love to see that. I don't buy it. You decide to return, write, record but not go up on the stage which is the peak.

Clearly you don't understand Izzy very well. Which I'm not implying you are "just an average fan" so I don't mean any offense. But most "average" fans that are complaining about Izzy, don't really understand him. He literally walked away from Guns at their peak. Most people blame Axl, but honestly Axl is just a small piece of the larger puzzle in why Izzy walked away. He just doesn't want nor care about all the attention this stuff brings, he NEVER has. He is far more comfortable playing small venues, or just not playing at all. He obviously likes recording though. But if Axl was his BIG reason for quiting back in 1991, then why has He remained friendly with him all these years? Even deciding to play with Axl every now and then? Because Axl is not, and was NEVER the main reason why Izzy quit, plain and simple.

So logic dictates that a man that NEVER wanted this kind of attention, and quit during its peak, does not want the attention now either. He doesn't want to be interviewed, he doesn't want ANY of it other than the music. Im sure he is very happy now, and probably has peace. He also has friendships with EVERY member of the band (except for adler). So what does he have to gain by coming back full time? Money? I don't think that's ever been his driving force. He IS coming back for the music. To jam with these guys, create new music, etc. But he doesn't need to go play 3 hour shows in front of 100,000 people. He clearly would rather play a couple of songs here and there, when he wants. No major commitment, just for fun. That's Izzy's style.

Clearly I don't know the man, but his behavior has been the same since he quit guns. If you doubt me, look at VR. He was there when that band started, he was into writing, creating, and jamming. But as soon as things got serious, he was out. Some musicians are just that way, I know a few personally.

So why does it seem so suprising that Izzy would not want to be a full time memeber? As long as he can jam, write, record, and play when HE wants to, he is happy. I think, as fans, we have to accept that. If he wanted to be a full time member of this reunion, he would be. Bottom line.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

Clearly you don't understand Izzy very well. Which I'm not implying you are "just an average fan" so I don't mean any offense. But most "average" fans that are complaining about Izzy, don't really understand him. He literally walked away from Guns at their peak. Most people blame Axl, but honestly Axl is just a small piece of the larger puzzle in why Izzy walked away. He just doesn't want nor care about all the attention this stuff brings, he NEVER has. He is far more comfortable playing small venues, or just not playing at all. He obviously likes recording though. But if Axl was his BIG reason for quiting back in 1991, then why has He remained friendly with him all these years? Even deciding to play with Axl every now and then? Because Axl is not, and was NEVER the main reason why Izzy quit, plain and simple.

So logic dictates that a man that NEVER wanted this kind of attention, and quit during its peak, does not want the attention now either. He doesn't want to be interviewed, he doesn't want ANY of it other than the music. Im sure he is very happy now, and probably has peace. He also has friendships with EVERY member of the band (except for adler). So what does he have to gain by coming back full time? Money? I don't think that's ever been his driving force. He IS coming back for the music. To jam with these guys, create new music, etc. But he doesn't need to go play 3 hour shows in front of 100,000 people. He clearly would rather play a couple of songs here and there, when he wants. No major commitment, just for fun. That's Izzy's style.

Clearly I don't know the man, but his behavior has been the same since he quit guns. If you doubt me, look at VR. He was there when that band started, he was into writing, creating, and jamming. But as soon as things got serious, he was out. Some musicians are just that way, I know a few personally.

So why does it seem so suprising that Izzy would not want to be a full time memeber? As long as he can jam, write, record, and play when HE wants to, he is happy. I think, as fans, we have to accept that. If he wanted to be a full time member of this reunion, he would be. Bottom line.

I don't think the logic behind Izzy not liking to tour, not wanting attention etc holds up anymore, that was over 20 years ago. I think things have changed now.

Izzy is 53 years old with a net worth of 28 million, which is a lot, but he probably has huge expenses and he is getting old.

This is his last chance to be somebody again.

He may not have wanted it back at the peak of GNR, but I bet the guy wants the big paycheck now, and I bet he wants one last big hurrah before he dies, and he's probably looking at this as it's now or never.

Nothing Slash, Axl, Izzy, Duff, Adler have written musically has lived up to GNR and had they not been in GNR in the first place most if not all their solo efforts would have failed if they were just a new band starting out and that was their demo tape.

None of the GNR guys are probably much like the people that they used to be in 1992.

They are probably all much better people and much more grown up and adult like now.

I think they all want the big money this is going to bring in.

I also think they all realize how old they all are and how they all probably only have a few years, maybe what 10? Before some of them start dying of old age/ I suspect Izzy will be the first to die.

So I bet they are all starting to think about their own mortality and short life left in this world, and they are probably a bit nostalgic and sentimental as well, I think this tour/record is a way for them to get closure as well as to come full circle, and make more money than ever before so they and their families can be even more secure.

I also don't think Izzy would want someone else playing his newly written songs.

I think all this stuff about Izzys reclusive personality is baloney and hogwash, yeah it was true in 1992 when he was a young and dumb heroin junkie, but times and people change, He's older and wiser now, hopefully.

I've always seen Axl as more of a recluse than Izzy.

I think just like with Axl, Izzys style, is gonna be get that money motherfucker haha. There's more money to be made in the touring than everything else because this is 2016, so I bet that Izzy will tour because it's a nessacery evil in order to get all the money. As well as everything stated above.

You know what? Steven Adlers CD Back from the Dead is way better than Chinese Democracy, or any of Duffs stuff or any of Slash's solo records and also better than VR.

I would say that they all have musically failed bigtime other than Adlers Back From The Dead, and that they realize now that the only truly great music they were ever capable of making was when it was them 5 together in GNR.

I'm just glad they all seem to be coming to their senses and are doing a tour and new CD with Izzy now.

You know what? Steven Adlers CD Back from the Dead is way better than Chinese Democracy, or any of Duffs stuff or any of Slash's solo records and also better than VR.

I disagree. It is very good, his drumming is out of this planet there. But still, it's not even close to Contraband... or World On Fire for that matter, which is the heaviest and most thoughtful record Slash wrote after the GNR departure. Back From the Dead is like 6/10 for most of time BUT "Good to Be Bad" and "Just Don't Ask" are fucking brilliant. This is how great this record could be if the rhythm section in this band was better than just average.

Edited by Ralphelmo

With Kimmel I reckon the producers reached out to someone in the GNR camp, they gave a positive response, and the producers got over excited and confirmed it. I'd hazard a guess that the 'pulling out', if it was ever actually confirmed, was down to Coachella stipulating that they wanted exclusivity on the bands reunion. Kimmel would have wanted the band, not just Axl - and I doubt they are ready to play yet anyway.

no offense, but do you know Izzy personally?

Izzy walked away solely because of Axl, period!

Anyone who was a fan back in the day shall know that much.

• Like 1

You can't accuse someone else with "Do you know Izzy Personally" than state something about Izzy like it's 100% fact. I'm sure part of the reason Izzy left was Axl, part of it was the drugs in the band at the time and GN'R becoming bigger than he thought they should be. Remember when he was apart of the "Project" he wanted to do a Tour of clubs in a van with him and Duff covering the vocals. Once Scott joined and guys wanting it to be a bigger thing, Izzy was out the door. So, no, not all Axl.

Edited by cooker
  • Like 1

You can't accuse someone else with "Do you know Izzy Personally" than state something about Izzy like it's 100% fact. I'm sure part of the reason Izzy left was Axl, part of it was the drugs in the band at the time and GN'R becoming bigger than he thought they should be. Remember when he was apart of the "Project" he wanted to do a Tour of clubs in a van with him and Duff covering the vocals. Once Scott joined and guys wanting it to be a bigger thing, Izzy was out the door. So, no, not all Axl.

Thank you.

He clearly has a history of this. But yet it's always "axl, axl, Axl." I'm sure Axl was part of the reason, but he had NOTHING to do with him walking out on VR.

What do we know so far?

1) Izzy has been writing and recording recently with GNR.

2) He hasn't been confirmed in the new live lineup.

So it seems to me that he'll do what he has been doing lately - showing up to perform live when he feels like it, and when it suits him. This is consistent with his behaviour of the last few years. I'm absolutely delighted with that - I'd much rather have him involved in the song-writing if it was a straight choice.

• Like 1

if this is all accurate, why did susan say, 'never say never' with regards to izzy being in the band? It sounded to me like she knew that he wasn't a part of it.

To me it sounded like she was implying she knows he's in. "Never say never" as in don't say he'll never play with GNR

if this is all accurate, why did susan say, 'never say never' with regards to izzy being in the band? It sounded to me like she knew that he wasn't a part of it.

To me it sounded like she was implying she knows he's in. "Never say never" as in don't say he'll never play with GNR

I agree. It seems to me that she feels there is a very good chance he will be in or she knows he is in but can't say so yet.

He's definitely not ruled out yet or she would not have made a comment like that

• Like 1

Thank you.

He clearly has a history of this. But yet it's always "axl, axl, Axl." I'm sure Axl was part of the reason, but he had NOTHING to do with him walking out on VR.

Izzy made statements to this topic so reducing his decision to only one reason is factually wrong and unfair.

Axl and his late- and crazyness is part of that as well as the environment with heavy drug users like Slash. That he doesn't like to be part of big tours and rockstar lifes is common sense if you look at his history.