04/08/2016 - Las Vegas - T-Mobile Arena

James Bond

17 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

My thoughts on everything I saw from last night:

First off, I will like to give credit  to Axl for performing injured and being in a good mood about it. That being said, it really hurt the show for obvious reasons. Axl Rose is 50-60% of a GNR show. Having him sitting down throughout the show immediately takes points away from the performance. His voice was not good, I don't know what happened to him in 2010 to make him have such a strong voice, but I think it is safe to conclude that he will not sound like that ever again, Another thing I didn't like was the crowd. You get more excitement from a pianist concert than you got from last night. That took a lot from the performance. The cell phone has killed the concert experience. 

I bought tickets to the San Diego show, but I have to be honest that I am not as excited about it as I was before watching the Vegas show. I know Axl will be healed by August, but if he was unable to hit the notes sitting down, I don't see how he will be able to do it moving around and dancing. The perfect time for a reunion would have been in 2010. I don't what it is, but there was no " IT" factor to the show. Somebody else on drums is desperately needed. I think if it was Slash's call, he would dump Frank immediately. The guy has no business drumming for GNR. He is a good drummer, just not for GNR. I am hoping that there is a miracle and Steven Adler will be able to play on some of these shows. Another thing that bothered me was the playing of the CD stuff. "Chinese Democracy"and "Better" have no business in these "reunion" shows. I can understand playing 1 song from CD per show and it should be a song that is closer to the old sound and complements  Slash's style. I think TIL was a good choice, but those other 2 songs are atrocious and kill the vibe of a show.

I give last night's show a C-. I would have given a lower score hadn't not been for Slash. He saved it.

Man I agree with almost all of this except I still give the show an A.. That is mostly for the experience and the energy surrounding these first shows than the performances themselves though. The sitting down thing kind of sucked but it is better than no show at all. It was cool as hell to see Axl sing these songs with Slash again. I was singing every word but I still didn't think Axl sounded good. I also have tickets for the Foxboro show and am not super excited about it.  Agree that Frank is the weak link.. Between him and Fortus there is just too much of a NuGuns feel to this whole thing. That was the most unenjoyable version of Rocket Queen have ever seen.  Slash saved the show for me too. Especially seeing him playing solos like the ones in Estranged that he hasn't played in so long. I thought the setlist was good aside from the CD songs. I was blown away when they started Coma. Now that the initial thrill of first seeing Axl/Slash and Duff up there has passed, I am not sure what it will be like going forward. Not a huge fan of the lineup and Axl still sounds like garbage. It didn't ruin the show. The night was just too special for it to be ruined. I sang along and went nuts the whole time but for the most part I still didn't think he sounded good. Going back and watching you tube videos confirms that for me. 

2 hours ago, Gold top 78 said:

Think About You would've been great I've never seen it being played. At least Don't Cry got played last night and it was good to see Slash killing it  :headbang:I think My Michelle was on that list too good to see that got played as well. 

Rock in Rio 2001 they played it. With the "guitar hero" Paul Tobias.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, Philipm787 said:

Is anybody else overwhelmed? Just wholly and truly overwhelmed? I watched the whole thing live on periscope, and it is the single greatest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. Sure Axls voice wasn't perfect, but it's not about that anymore. This is something more. This is two of the greatest rock n roll musicans ever playing together again, and consequently making the world and peoples lives infinitely better. I got very emotional during estranged and NR, I was just overcome with joy. I cannot watch any of the videos, especially the close ups, without a massive smile coming on my face. Life is good. Long live Guns N' Fucking Roses.

yes! ^^^^this SOOO much. it was a billion times better tan I even dreamed it would be. I love Axl Rose. The first step is admitting you have a problem... :axl92::heart::dance:

• Like 1

Watching a bunch of the videos from the Vegas shows... Fuck, at times Axl is sounding more ferocious than he has in a long time!!! Still not sure why there's a 13-year-old rave girl with Beats By Dre headphones on stage (did she remember the permission slip from her school principal?), but the Big 3 are all I'm really paying attention to anyway! LOL. Really looking forward to seeing them.

2 hours ago, Grayfox said:

Helium would work a bit better:P

Oh yah tht....... Helium..... I was thinking of helium but why the fuck I got confused between tht 2..... forgot the name :facepalm: thx for remind Me

So, can We do that? :awesomeface: Will be awesome though if We/ Someone tht so close to the stage throw inflatable dolphins filled with helium to the stage.... 

Edited by SerenityScorp

I'm sure this had been posted before, but man, when Axl closes his eyes at 3:34 and 4:07 you can see he's feeling that solo 'deep down inside'. It's such a beautiful moment! And also when he starts singing again and Slash's guitar is behind his voice, the way that guitar and that voice complement each other...it's meant to be. Never been a fan of CD, but always liked TIL and with this solo is just magic :drool:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BillBailey78 said:

My review of the show ... First of all, this was a very special trip for me. When I was around 12 years old I fell in love with Guns N' Roses. That enthusiasm was shared by my cousin Justin. I remember vividly the day GNR released the Use Your Illusion albums and Justin and I sat in his parents' basement and listened to them over and over again as we played Super Mario Brothers 3 on his Super Nintendo. I remember dissecting every inch of the CD inserts, all the way down to the "Thank you's." You see, Guns N' Roses was my very first favorite band. There was a time when I was living with my dad that I had a collage of Guns N' Roses pictures that I had made out of things I had found in magazines. The collage was at least five feet tall and five feet wide. I recall stressing about taking it off the wall when my dad and I moved to a new apartment. I didn't want a single picture to get bent or ripped. Through the years I have become a fan of many different types of music. Most notably I have a love for Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, and The Allman Brothers. But my love for GNR has never subsided. When it was announced that Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan would be reuniting for the first time in 23 years, a trip with Justin to Las Vegas to see their first show wasn't just a no brainer, it was necessary. It was a chance to revisit the happiest and most innocent times of my life with the person I experienced them with and the band that was the soundtrack to those times. Back when everything in my life seemed perfect. Sometimes Justin and I go months without being in communication. But when we see or talk to each other it always seems like we are still the best friends we were when we were 12. Wednesday morning Justin picked me up bright and early to make a trip to Pittsburgh to catch our flight to Vegas. The first conversation we had in the car was about the fact the one song we wanted to hear above all others at the concert was "Estranged." I didn't have high hopes that it would actually be played. It was a rarity in Axl's "new" GNR lineup he had toured with for several years. When we arrived at the arena on Friday for the show I was more excited than I ever remember being for a concert in my life. Justin and I were first in line at the door to the arena. When the gates finally opened for the show (over an hour after the stated time on the ticket) I was beyond thrilled. Axl Rose has a history of inciting riots after all. News had come down earlier in the week that he had broken his foot. I was hoping he hadn't decided at the last minute to cancel this historic show. Alice In Chains opened the concert. I couldn't have cared less. I wasn't there to see them and was ecstatic when their set was over. Jerry Cantrell threw a guitar pick that I caught. If anyone wants it let me know. 90 minutes after Alice in Chains was finished the lights went down and shadowy figures started walking onstage as the Looney Toons theme blared over the loud speaker. Then a synth pad vibrated the arena as anticipation was building. Out of the corner of my eye I could faintly make out Slash standing to my right. The stage was still in darkness though. Then, a group of four men began pushing a gigantic throne onto the stage. Seated on the throne was King Axl himself. The lights went up and Guns N' Roses ripped into "It's So Easy." The energy was something that can't be explained to anyone who wasn't there. I was jumping and fist pumping like I never had before. A lot has been said about Axl Rose over the years but let me tell you this ... He sounded and looked excellent. It was obvious he wanted out of the chair and the cast but he was giving this performance everything he had and then some. Two moments will forever be etched in my mind from this show. The first was when they launched into "Estranged." I put my hands on Justin's shoulders and squeezed. No words needed to be spoken. We were in heaven. As the song played I thought back to my youth. I'm not ashamed to admit that by the end of the song I had tears streaming down my face. There was no place on Earth I would have rather been at that moment than where I was. And there was no one else I would have rather experienced this show with. The second thing that stood out to me happened during Slash's solo on the song "This I Love." This is a song that Axl recorded for the Chinese Democracy album. The album Slash isn't on. As Slash played the most beautiful solo I may have ever heard I looked at Axl. He had his eyes closed. Completely entranced in the moment. It was as if he too was reminiscing fondly about his past. You could see in his face that he was realizing the magic that only comes from him and Slash together. When he opened his eyes he looked at Slash and smiled from ear to ear. This wasn't a dream. This was real life. And damn if life wasn't perfect again.

That is a great review. Glad you and Justin had a good time, are you going to any other gigs?

Just checked out Slash on This I Love. He appears to have played it smoother than others have managed, live at least. As with the Godfather theme, which started out raw, only got smoother was the tour continued. Impressed. What happend to Axl's foot ?

• Like 1

Why was this moved here so much sooner than the last gig?

Anyways, FINALLY got some rest at home so I'd love to talk about the past few days.

First of all, I tagged ya'll in the other thread but I LOVED meeting all of you at the meetup and throughout the week. You are all great people and I had a blast! Would have loved to spend even more time with everyone, but I packed a lot in the weekend so I did my best. The meetup ended up being really cool and I was happy no weirdos showed up. Everyone was so cool to one another and it was unreal to see a couple of hundred diehards show up. Can't wait to comb the forum and Facebook for all the pictures, I'll try and make an album because there were a lot.

So yeah, the first night my buddy Blake and i swam a bit and checked into our kickass room at the Hard Rock. Then I splurged and got the buffet at Wynn. Holy shit was that cool. After that I got drunk ane went to the meetup expecting 3 people or something. Nope, there were well over 200 it seemed. Unreal! As I stated above it was awesome and a really special event. We might not have a gathering like that again.

The next day we explored the strip more. My other friend Adams flight got tdelayed so that sucked. Weve seen GnR 3 times together, went to the inductiom ceremony together, seen Slash loads of times together, etc so I am so happy he came. Then the news of the foot broke. Iwas really nervous and as you can see from an earlier post and was pissed off. It's just such a "GnR" thing to happen and I had no idea how the show would play out. We hung out with people in the merch line, and I missed @Kasanova Kings nightrain shot at Shake Shack by like half an hour but that's ok. Then my friends and I headed to the venue and the energy was awesome. Finally, we made it in and got our seats (thanks, @gunsfanoldie, we had a superb view). Finally the moment I've been waiting forever for seemed real.

Alice in Chains came on. I'm a fan and have seen them before. Even though they were good, I was just ready for Guns. I was surprised with the hour and a half wait. I've been throuh worse with Axl, but it seemed long. Glad I hear they were earlier the second night. Finally, house lights went down and we gotthe looney tunes intro and the long intro music. It was a clunky start but once ISE started nothing elselse mattered. From the first song it was a parent it was going to be a special night. The throne cracked me up and was the best way they could have dealt with a bad situation. Axl looked fantastic all things considering, was in a great mood all night (less bloat, more jokes). You could tell he was really pushing himself and didnt take shortcuts with the screams and hard notes; and if classic Axl behavior tells us anything, he will only improve as the tour rolls on. Slash was on fire, Duff was as solid as ever, and the rest of the band was excellent. This really is a great lineup and I can't wait to see where it goes. All Im saying is, we better get new music.

The setlist was also fantastic. Seeing Slash play ChiDem songs was great. For a second I even thought Better was a new song with its new intro. I really liked Slash's take on them and they will surely tighten up the more they are played. Slash's solo on This I Love was particularly awesome, and I even like it more than Robins awesome take. Coma was the big surprose and like everyone else, I never thought it'd ever be played again. It was fucking awesome and I lost my shit the most for that and Estranged (my 2 favorite GNR songs). Seeing November Rain played like that the first time was incredibly special as was the whole rest of the setlist.

Yeah, there were a few first gig hiccups but they were far and few between, the energy between 15000 die hards in the arena was increadible, the sound was great, and the chemistry and joy the band shared was one in a million. I've seen GnR three times between 2010 and 2012. Those were amazing gigs, and I'll always love them, but this was something else entirely. This band was something else entirely, and it's so apparent how much Slash was missed. So happy to have him back.

10/10 gig

• Like 3