'The Most Dangerous Band In The World: The Story Of Guns N' Roses' To Air On BBC FOUR In UK (Fri 5th Feb 10pm)

1 minute ago, axl666 said:

I thought that this was pretty terrible. Nothing new. Focuses on most sensationalistic things to do with sex and drugs.

The narrative was very fragmented and skipped huge amounts of interesting parts of their story to focus on 'now their hanging out with strippers!'

'now they're taking heroin!' 

I kinda agree, but if you read Slash and Duff's autobiographies, the doc was true to their narratives when it comes to sex and drugs

i think there's so much history, it would take a much longer doc to capture it right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, axl666 said:

They're a really interesting band with a lot of unique experiences. I would like to see:

1. Something on Axl's ten year odyssey to make one album.

2. What it was like for Slash in his wilderness years when he left GNR and before he really started rebuilding his career.

3. What Duff's college experiences were like.

4. How Izzy managed to go back to small town life after living in LA.

5. What it was like for them to attempt to write, and fail to write, UYI in Chicago in 1990.

There's loads of interesting angles you could take on these guys. I think lots of people on this forum could write a much

more interesting biography than what we got here.

6. What inspired DJ Ashba to design clothes and create Ashbaswag.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DIST said:

6. What inspired DJ Ashba to design clothes and create Ashbaswag.

The thing is though you could actually do an interesting documentary on this that isn't the same old generic

rubbish that this was. I'm surprised that it was done by BBC4. I think maybe they were trying to do a GNR

version of Montage of Heck.

Very underwhelming imo. One or two interesting moments, like the way the contract was constructed to not break them up, but it was mostly a rehash of what we already know.

The whole sex & drugs angle is boring by this point, there's other more interesting things to say.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Muddy said:

still cant watch it on the BBC iplayer thru the beebs thing. It said something earlier about having a TV licence so that might have something to do with it. Anyone upload on youtube or figure out a way to watch from the U.S yet?

you can watch it now

3 minutes ago, Babooshka said:

Very underwhelming imo. One or two interesting moments, like the way the contract was constructed to not break them up, but it was mostly a rehash of what we already know.

The whole sex & drugs angle is boring by this point, there's other more interesting things to say.

3 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

average documentary, nothing new. What's up with the chick and rabbit?? False information - talking about the band reuniting at Coachella, when all we know about is Slash, Duff and Axl's involvement at this stage.

Cheer up folks.. that was never seen before footage of GNR on mainstream TV.. Yes, you know the story etc but was good fun.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed the old footage (Marc's presumably) some great stuff I'd not seen before. Worth a watch for that alone, there was a few interesting quotes and bits of information that perhaps add a new angle to one or two things. A lot of it of course was stuff we all know here on this forum but that's to be expected, for a casual fan who had left the story back in the nineties I think it would be really fascinating.

Not sure about the whole Alice/Rabbit sub plot, it felt a bit clunky and unnecessary. Overall though it was a reasonably good, entertaining watch which owes a lot to Marc's film footage.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Babooshka said:

What other angle is there? It's what happened.. Slash didn't put on a hat and become a wizard.

It was good, it had GNR with skullfaces riding motorbikes.. and no Ashba... What more can you ask? :lol:

(the guy from Hanoi rocks was a bit frightening)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I really enjoyed the old footage (Marc's presumably) some great stuff I'd not seen before. Worth a watch for that alone, there was a few interesting quotes and bits of information that perhaps add a new angle to one or two things. A lot of it of course was stuff we all know here on this forum but that's to be expected, for a casual fan who had left the story back in the nineties I think it would be really fascinating.

Not sure about the whole Alice/Rabbit sub plot, it felt a bit clunky and unnecessary. Overall though it was a reasonably good, entertaining watch which owes a lot to Marc's film footage.

12 minutes ago, Yowza! said:

Cheer up folks.. that was never seen before footage of GNR on mainstream TV.. Yes, you know the story etc but was good fun.

I have to agree - good for newcomers to GNR who maybe don't know what the fuss is about the reunion and good to see Reckless Road pics  used a lot. I think they should have emphasised more how different GNR were to the other bands at that time. They touched on it but not enough.

I thought there were one or two things that made me feel uncomfortable like an 'ironic' moment when they were talking about how Duff had grown but coupled it with the shot from the Garden vid where he's gobbing! That felt a bit snide. 

BBC Four can air some great documentaries and this wasn't one of them but at least it was on! 

• Like 2

Was really looking forward to this and was hoping it would be the definitive Guns documentary, but in the end it was a bit of a let-down.

Obviously it was amazing to see all the unseen footage. Have listened to Street Scene a number of times, so to finally see Axl going off on the crowd at the end was brilliant. Frustrating that there must be so much more footage like that but we’ll never get to see it.

The chronology was a complete mess. Might be confused but pretty sure they were talking about being in NY when Axl  fucked Adrianna and then the next minute they were talking about how they wrote SCOM and Zutaut felt they were then ready to record an album. At another point text came up on the screen saying Use Your Illusion Tour and it cut to footage from Giants Stadium in ’88. There were countless oddities with the chronology like that.

Then there were some strange omissions. I don’t think Dizzy was mentioned once. Personally I would be happy if Dizzy was never a part of Guns N’ Roses history, but I think he needs to be mentioned if only as a way of highlighting the way the music evolved and divisions in the band grew. Also, November Rain and Paradise City were barely mentioned , nor were the epic videos.

I think the documentary suffered from being overly reliant on Marc and Zutaut as the people telling the story. It seemed like there were occasional contributions from others but the vast majority of contributions came from Marc and Tom. Would’ve been much better if they’d got some different perspectives from the likes of Alan Niven, Michelle Young, Doug Goldstein etc. This probably wasn’t helped by the fact that as a Guns N’ Roses fanatic I’ve read pretty much every post by Marc in Canter Banter, so there was next to nothing he said that I hadn’t already heard.

I did enjoy Matt explaining that after escaping St Louis Axl was still wearing “the skirt” but then I remembered Axl wasn’t wearing a kilt when he dived in to the crowd so that was probably an embellishment.

So overall, quite disappointing but I’ll still watch it again tomorrow to see all the footage!

• Like 1

Wow really bad, surprised by BBC4. Theres nothing here that you haven't seen before, it's a series of footage we've probably all seen on YouTube held together by Zutant and Marc Canter. 

Marc's interviews are insightful and the only thing that kept me watching.

It's sensationalism cashing in on what's happening with the band at the moment, they couldn't even get that announcement correct.

Weird moments with girl and the bikes at the end. Serves no purpose other than to fill time due to lack of anything important to report.

This feel like it was thrown together such a shame. 

Really wish the band could get it together to tell their story properly, can not believe anyone signed off on this.

This is why Matt is out.

Dizzy probably refused to contribute in line with Axl's demands/ or to show solidarity with Axl. 

Plus Dizzy doesn't really fit into the hell raising narrative. There were no contributions from Axl, Izzy or Slash, even the Matt ones looked to be from some time ago. 

It's so hard to see this, seriously. I feel so sad seing how it all fell apart. I mean, I've been reading about it forever, but it saddens me everytime.

Overall, very poor doc. I keep on hoping someday someone will produce something that lives up to their legacy.

you guys have a point when you talk about the new fans, but those infos we can already get everywhere. That's what was frustrating to me. I hoped to see some more deep stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love all the GNR I can get, but by the end I was like... That's it?

However, as was mentioned here already, interesting input on how the infamous contract was supposed to keep them together. Again... I'm as heartbroken as if it happened yesterday.

The razor sharp audience footage from a UYI arena show was cool, felt like you were there, as was the Back of Bitch from '86. Axl sounded awesome back then

(or if it wasn't audience footage it was extremely weird cam pro-shot)

Did anyone notice what was written on the front of Axl's white t-shirt which had GN'R on the back?

That was really great. Recorded it so imagine I'll watch it a fair few times before Vegas.

Some bits were a bit odd but overall, even though there was nothing new in terms of info, it was so good. Lots and lots of unseen live footage, Back Off Bitch etc 

• Like 1