'The Most Dangerous Band In The World: The Story Of Guns N' Roses' To Air On BBC FOUR In UK (Fri 5th Feb 10pm)

Other low points:

hardly any discussion about their great songs on UYI and how big they were in 1991-1992.

Matt's arrogant attitude towards Axl (why would Axl want to play with Matt after his point about Axl wanting to buy an army in Guatemala?)

Zutaut's lack of tact regarding Axl's childhood abuse. Axl has never mentioned the museum before and I don't think other people should be talking about a sensitive issue like that.

Hardly any rare pro-shot concert footage.

Amateurish inclusion of youtube interview clips.

Steven getting high and saying 'puff puff, pass pass' and not passing the joint to anyone.

High points:

Steven looking at the camera and saying, 'I'm talking to you Axl and Slash'..or whatever he said. A very touching moment.

Vicky Hamilton acknowledging Izzy as a major songwriting force in the band.

Edited by sonofnazareth
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, sonofnazareth said:

Other low points:

hardly any discussion about their great songs on UYI and how big they were in 1991-1992.

Matt's arrogant attitude towards Axl (why would Axl want to play with Matt after his point about Axl wanting to buy an army in Guatemala?)

Zutaut's lack of tact regarding Axl's childhood abuse. Axl has never mentioned the museum before and I don't think other people should be talking about a sensitive issue like that.

Hardly any rare pro-shot concert footage.

Amateurish inclusion of youtube interview clips.

Steven getting high and saying 'puff puff, pass pass' and not passing the joint to anyone.

High points:

Steven looking at the camera and saying, 'I'm talking to you Axl and Slash'..or whatever he said. A very touching moment.

Vicky Hamilton acknowledging Izzy as a majoy songwriting force in the band.

Why should a documentary play tippy toes around flower petal W. Axl Rose? It is the aim of the filmmakers to tell the truth, warts and all. There was stuff there that could embarrass other members such as Stradlin urinating on a plane and footage of Adler from Celebrity Rehab. Why should Axl be an exception?

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why should a documentary play tippy toes around flower petal W. Axl Rose? It is the aim of the filmmakers to tell the truth, warts and all. There was stuff there that could embarrass other members such as Stradlin urinating on a plane and footage of Adler from Celebrity Rehab. Why should Axl be an exception?

Urinating on a plane or Adler entering celebrity rehab are mild issues compared to specific details about Axl's childhood sexual abuse being disclosed to the public by an a&r guy in my opinion. Matt is no angel when it comes to egotistical behaviour either, so his comment results from an inferiority complex and the old, 'put someone else down to feel better about myself' approach. 

Edited by sonofnazareth
  • Like 3

Just now, sonofnazareth said:

Urinating on a plane or Adler celebrity entering rehab are mild issues compared to specific details about Axl's childhood sexual abuse being disclosed to the public by an a&r guy in my opinion. Matt is no angel when it comes to egotistical behaviour either, so his comment results from an inferiority complex and the old, 'put someone else down to feel better about myself' approach. 

The child abuse is old news that Axl went to RS with. It is seen as having repercussions on Axl's psychological state during GN'R. I see no reason to omit it. I do not see anything wrong with Sorum's comments in the slightest. If Sorum is stating the truth it deserves to be stated - it is an interesting enough anecdote.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

The child abuse is old news that Axl went to RS with. It is seen as having repercussions on Axl's psychological state during GN'R. I see no reason to omit it. I do not see anything wrong with Sorum's comments in the slightest. If Sorum is stating the truth it deserves to be stated - it is an interesting enough anecdote.

Fair enough, but Axl never mentioned any details about the museum toilets and I think that is going too far. 

At the start my thought to myself "Oh this looks cheap and awful" and "whats the Alice  in Wonderland stuff all about" 

It did become interesting with the early stuff, it was nothing really new but i kept on watching.

Then I saw the motorcycles with the dummies and bad wigs and thought... thank god this wasn't official documentary.

I would love to see a documentary of the last few months to get to see the point of a reunion  being agreed and actually happening. 

I couldn't believe how sloppy the documentary was and how much it jumped around, a lot of big holes in the timeline. They should have used animation to do "reenactments" instead of how they used it with the crows and motorcycles.

I didn't mind it when they would go back and forth with studio versions of the song and mixed them in with Marc's footage, it got a little annoying though. 

The MJ comment pissed me off and not just because I'm a huge MJ fangirl. Axl has never publically taken umbridge with Slash for collaborating with MJ, that is pure conjecture on the part of Axl-apologists desperately trying to find a reason to paint Axl as the good guy and Slash as the bad guy. Remember Axl Rose is the same guy who has been accused of rape more than once, it's not like he hasn't engaged in his fair share of questionable behaviour in the past.

Edited by Towelie

10 minutes ago, Towelie said:

The MJ comment pissed me off and not just because I'm a huge MJ fangirl. Axl has never publically taken umbridge with Slash for collaborating with MJ, that is pure conjecture on the part of Axl-apologists desperately trying to find a reason to paint Axl as the good guy and Slash as the bad guy. Remember Axl Rose is the same guy who has been accused of rape more than once, it's not like he hasn't engaged in his fair share of questionable behaviour in the past.

Completely agree. It by implication made it seem as if Slash has worked with a convicted child molester which, whatever you think about MJ and his behaviour in the past, he is not. 

Overall I have mixed feelings about the doc having just watched it. Some good parts, however not enough about the music and it did seem a bit amateurish. 

Edited by Original GNR
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Got to agree with you, Towelie. It's been discussed here a lot, and like we said then, Slash's collab with MJ began before the name Jordie Chandler was ever in the public arena. I felt it was being oily to Axl. 

• Like 1

Right, so the Jungle behind the scenes stuff was already out there I see. I guess the other unseen Canter footage is all this has to fall back on then.

I agree with almost all the criticism of the program that's already been said. I haven't seen Jon Brewer's BB King or Nat King Cole docos so I wonder if the haphazardness of this GN'R one is reminiscent of those two. Somehow I doubt it.

The whole Alice In Wonderland narrative to me is a throwback to when it was just going to be a Slash doco alone I think. When you see the top hat on the dumpster is more evidence of this. Purely my theory anyway.

It was obviously post (Motley Crue's) Dirt in its focus on the sex, drugs and rock n' roll, but more so the sex and drugs than the rock. The thing is, rightly or wrongly, this is where Guns N' Roses's reputation reside, the sunset strip, hair rock, a slightly embarrassing misogynist act. Firstly, Kurt Cobain stole the moral high ground. Secondly, as this is a British documentary, acts like Oasis and Blur are where British sentiments lie. Consequentially, acts like The Beatles (Anthology), Dylan (No Direction Home) and Stones (Crossfire Hurricane) are given serious documentaries by serious filmmakers as pertaining to 'serious artists': Guns N' Roses are given digital skeletons on motorbikes. The documentary was low brow because Guns are seen as low brow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BetterDay7 said:

Got to agree with you, Towelie. It's been discussed here a lot, and like we said then, Slash's collab with MJ began before the name Jordie Chandler was ever in the public arena. I felt it was being oily to Axl. 

It was very oily. The fact they perpetuated that MJ lie, says a lot about their motives and standards. 

There were errors littered throughout the documentary, the editing cheap and the narrative choices stale and old. I'm not saying it has to be some comprehensive 10 hour documentary like people here are exaggerating. Even the UpRoxx feature was better. No attempt to jazz it up with a stupid Alice In Wonderland theme and crap special effect. And while the bbc doc went on about "Sexy dancing girls!!", the UpRoxx feature interviewed the women and we got something different from their pov.

It's like they weren't even trying, just cobbled it together in the wake of Slash and Axl reuniting.

Of course Marc's footage was nice, but it was not enough to save an underwhelming 90 minutes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Do you not thInk the lo-fi effects were intentional?

Perhaps. I'm re-watching it to see.

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sex sells.

Indeed, I just wanted more info on the music side of things to give a more balanced account. I understand the reputation precedes them, but at the time there was no social media to tell the world that. It was the music that struck a chord... so to speak. :D 

7 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

So, is this actually worth bringing up on iPlayer or is it just the sensationalist, lowest common denominator shite that most folks are suggesting?

As suggested this isnt a high brow documentary that's going to give you anything new. However its GNR  with some great live footage, great way to kill 90 mins on a Sunday morning.

15 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

So, is this actually worth bringing up on iPlayer or is it just the sensationalist, lowest common denominator shite that most folks are suggesting?

Why don't you just watch it, then you can decide for yourself!  IMO it's definitely worth watching, just don't expect any revelations.

18 hours ago, WillBailey said:

For those interested, we uploaded a HD 720p version: 

I've now included the English subtitles for those of us who didn't catch everything at first. You just have to activate them on Youtube!

If you want to take the time to translate the subtitles, contact me @gnrfrance on Twitter, I will send you the SRT file.

Some of the footage was interesting and I liked hearing from Steven Adler but as a fan from the very beginning I think it would be hard for someone to release anything that die hard fans didn't already know, after all, we've had plenty of time to just sit around and and scour the Internet for information.

I would like to see something that covered the break up and lead up to the reunion more but it's probably not worth opening that can of worms now they've been stuffed back in.