'BELIEVE IN ME' Re-issued on Color Vinyl

2 hours ago, Philcore said:

You are completly wrong, mate. 

From the labels Q&A:

"Which masters do you use?

We use the best audio available to cut our records. We receive and use different kinds of masters: analogue tapes, original metal parts, lacquers cut from analogue tapes and high res digital files 192/96khz/24 bit. Music On Vinyl does not use CD's as masters."

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/about-us#.VrRLN1Im-zk

MOV reissues are pretty damn good in general!

Nope, I'm not. And quoting a blurb from their own website isn' t the end-of-all proofs.

I don't disagree that some of their releases are indeed cut from analogue tapes (probably not the master tape, but early generation ones). But the vast majority of their releases are digitally sourced . Sometimes they use the high res master given to them by the record company.Fine. But sometimes, this master was upsampled from a CD master (16 bits/ 44.1 khz) to a so-called high-res master (24 bits/96 or 192 khz), by the record company or even worse, by MOV themselves.It's a question of terminology.

It's a case by case basis, as you can read here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/music-on-vinyl-records.310290/ In fact, I've contacted them a few times about some releases, and they admitted doing so. For instance, Steve Vai's Passion And Warfare on MOV was cut from the CD master upsampled to 192/24.

They may sound good (and the ones I have, do), but not better that the CD master they're sourced from (when they are).

I don't know how Believe In Me was recorded and mixed, but if it's a DDD recording, I'm guessing it was done at 16 bit/44.1 khz resolution.

If it's analog, well, there's hope that this release will be analog sourced...

Usually, the cover and inserts looks really good though, even better than the original pressing :-D

Edited by EvH

6 hours ago, EvH said:

Nope, I'm not. And quoting a blurb from their own website isn' t the end-of-all proofs.

I don't disagree that some of their releases are indeed cut from analogue tapes (probably not the master tape, but early generation ones). But the vast majority of their releases are digitally sourced . Sometimes they use the high res master given to them by the record company.Fine. But sometimes, this master was upsampled from a CD master (16 bits/ 44.1 khz) to a so-called high-res master (24 bits/96 or 192 khz), by the record company or even worse, by MOV themselves.It's a question of terminology.

It's a case by case basis, as you can read here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/music-on-vinyl-records.310290/ In fact, I've contacted them a few times about some releases, and they admitted doing so. For instance, Steve Vai's Passion And Warfare on MOV was cut from the CD master upsampled to 192/24.

They may sound good (and the ones I have, do), but not better that the CD master they're sourced from (when they are).

I don't know how Believe In Me was recorded and mixed, but if it's a DDD recording, I'm guessing it was done at 16 bit/44.1 khz resolution.

Usually, the cover and inserts looks really good though, even better than the original pressing :-D

Interesting. I'd read the claim about CD rips before but not a specific example.

Either way, the re-issue they did of 117 Degrees was pretty good so I'll be checking out this release too.

9 hours ago, EvH said:

Ok. Thanks for information and setting it straight.  

• 2 months later...
On February 4, 2016 at 8:51 PM, Tom-Ass said:

There were a couple B-Sides that I think were leftovers from this album. Bambi and Cracked Actor which were both really good songs.. One was a Prince cover I believe but both were better than some songs on Believe In Me. I actually didn't discover the songs until a few years back on the internet. Check them out if you haven't heard them.

Who is playing lead guitar on Bambi? That shit kicks Ass!! RIP Prince!!

In my opinion, "Believe in me" is a Masterpiece, one of the best punkrock-album ever to be released. You can feel the intensity of beeing on the road for so long and the loneliness in hotel-rooms on every single track.

I really love every single song of it and I think it´s one of the most underrated pieces of music in history.

Everyone here, who said its a piece of crap, should take the time and really listen to the record once again. It´s amazing !!!

Edited by Xedos
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, smoking guns said:

Who is playing lead guitar on Bambi? That shit kicks Ass!! RIP Prince!!

That's a great question. Both Bambi & Cracked Actor are on the Believe In Me CD-single, but it doesn't have any info about the musicians. No luck on discogs.com either.

Ha, I have this cd in my cd player in my car right now. I pull it out every once in a while. I actually have the line 'my eyes are tired, but I still look cool" from I Love You on a few of my social media bio's lol

Back in May of last year when he went down and opened for Slash with his band Loaded, he actually played Believe In Me (there were lots of people asking for it via twitter) and it was so cool seeing him play it. He sounded just like the cd version too, which was awesome. His singing voice now is a lot more clear - clean nasal passages now :P

On 4/22/2016 at 4:55 PM, Xedos said:

In my opinion, "Believe in me" is a Masterpiece, one of the best punkrock-album ever to be released. You can feel the intensity of beeing on the road for so long and the loneliness in hotel-rooms on every single track.

I really love every single song of it and I think it´s one of the most underrated pieces of music in history.

Everyone here, who said its a piece of crap, should take the time and really listen to the record once again. It´s amazing !!!

You can't have heard too many punk rock albums then.

Look, the album can in parts be a guilty pleasure...that's the nicest thing I can say about it.

I bought it back when it came out, I think 20 something years has been long enough to digest how lousy it is.