Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Clicked on the spoiler thread by accident. Thankfully nothing in there wasn't hidden yet. I'm going to see this thing at 4am on Friday and I'm very much hoping to not have anything spoiled prior to that! 

Yeah even I’m avoiding spoilers this go around. I may have accidentally gotten one spoiler that really pissed me off. 

3 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Yeah even I’m avoiding spoilers this go around. I may have accidentally gotten one spoiler that really pissed me off. 

8 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I also accidentally stumbled upon one major spoiler from reddit, but then I heard later that the redditor who made that post has since said that he was just joking, so I'm back to not really knowing what to expect...hopefully it stays that way for the next few days.

What a bummer! I hope anything you've both heard is false. 

I spoiled the last one for myself just days out and I felt like an idiot. Yeah, you could see the major one coming but I still shouldn't have found out for sure ahead of time. 

What's worse for me is that I have a REALLY light work schedule for the rest of the week, so I can't even rely on that to keep me occupied lol. 

Guess I should just play a shit ton more video games and hope to not click on anything on the internet! 

I hate the prequels yet the only prequel worse than Force Awakens is the second one which tells you how bad Force Awakens is. What is the purpose of bringing the original posse back only to reduce them to about three seconds, killing Han Solo off and dumping Luke on some barren rock in Ireland? Why is it such a lazy film, with rebooted ideas like death star which you have to destroy by flying into the middle (of), and the empire in all but name, replete with stormtroopers and tie-fighters? Say what you want about the prequels but at last the ideas were original. 

I don't really get Star Wars tbh. I think I saw Return Of The Jedi once and fell asleep in the cinema. It just all looks a bit crappy to me, R2D2 and C3PO look like something you would find in a crappy low budget science fiction play above a bowling alley in the 70s. It's just all so... naff. I just watch clips and can't believe grown-ass adults take this shit seriously. I thought it looked dorky even when I was a kid.

Edited by Towelie

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I don't really get Star Wars tbh. I think I saw Return Of The Jedi once and fell asleep in the cinema. It just all looks a bit crappy to me, R2D2 and C3PO look like something you would find in a crappy low budget science fiction play above a bowling alley in the 70s. It's just all so... naff. I just watch clips and can't believe grown-ass adults take this shit seriously. I thought it looked dorky even when I was a kid.

A Star Wars thread seems like a great place for you in that case :lol:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 12/10/2017 at 5:55 AM, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I hate to say it but they're making these films way too fast. The original Star Wars took like five years to develop and each of the two sequels took three years. Same for the prequel trilogy (phantom took five years and the others took three). I guess the first installments of each trilogy needed more time so thag Lucas and co could figure out where the world was at in each of those timeframes, so to speak.

But once episode 7 was announced, they had to move fast. The public anticipation was just way too high...maybe they should've given Ardnt all the time he needed to write a solid draft secretly before even announcing the film's existence. Idk if the big wigs at disney wouldve wanted that, though. I'm not really sure how those sorts of movie politics really work. But I do know that Ardnt was already outlining episode 7 before the disney deal closed. they should've waited for him to have a solid draft in the can before closing the deal. I also know that lucas gave them his own outlines during that time but those were probably thrown out right away and the public only found out about it later.

To be fair, the technology wasn't there in the 1970's and the 1990's. And they didn't really take the time to write a good script for either films. A New Hope has the better script and the expoision was saved from cheesiness when they hired Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan. Liam Neeson did his best for Phantom Menace, but the real star of PM was the special effects. Plus the script was just awful. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicklord said:

TFA also had great reviews upon release and the story was pure garbage

True, and review scores don't mean everything. That said - it was fairly obvious even in the spoiler free reviews that TFA was a safe film, there was nothing to indicate it was pushing any boundaries in the saga. With TLJ, nearly everyone is specifically mentioning the twists in the film - that's whats got me really excited personally. 

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

True, and review scores don't mean everything. That said - it was fairly obvious even in the spoiler free reviews that TFA was a safe film, there was nothing to indicate it was pushing any boundaries in the saga. With TLJ, nearly everyone is specifically mentioning the twists in the film - that's whats got me really excited personally. 

If there are any real twists I'll be surprised. I haven't seen any real spoilers but I'm pretty sure I already know the twist. We'll see in a couple days.

5 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Disney is closing in on buying 20th Century Fox, which means we could get the unaltered original films on Blu Ray

Fox's distribution rights are apparently up in 2020 anyways so either way we'll get them eventually. In the meantime we've got the Despecialized Editions to enjoy.

38 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Fox's distribution rights are apparently up in 2020 anyways so either way we'll get them eventually. In the meantime we've got the Despecialized Editions to enjoy.

Their rights for Empire, Return, and the prequels were all up in 2020, but for the original 1977 film, they had permanent rights.

Edited by rocknroll41

WARNING: Troll accounts are sending Star Wars spoilers to forum members.  Do not open up a PM from someone you have never spoken to before if you do not want the movie spoiled for you.  Please report users who are sending spoiler PMs to a myself or a Mod and we will ban these accounts.  Thanks!

20 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

DO NOT OPEN ANY PMs FROM LUKE RHINEHART

This account has been banned.

• Like 1