Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

The new posters look badass. Not sure about the behind the scenes thing. It was ok but not as cool as the behind the scenes footage they gave us for TFA.  I just hope The Last Jedi does something new, exciting and surprising. I was fine with TFA being a reboot and take heavily from the original trilogy but they can't keep on that path. 

As for spin off, I was never a fan of the idea of a Han Solo movie. It's pointless and nobody wanted this. Now it sounds like it's turning into a mess but I'm glad the directors got fired given what the direction of the movie seemed to be. If you buy into the reports that it was turning into some slap stick comedy. Fuck that would've been horrible. I wish they'd cancel this movie but at the very least push it back to 2019 so they do it properly. 

I really think a Kenobi vs Vader type trilogy would work incredibly well. Obi-Wan could be the main character and it could focus more on his trying to salvage what's left of the Jedi while remaining elusive to Vader. The side story could obviously be the Empire taking over the galaxy in a more evil and take no prisoners way now that the Jedi council had fallen apart and Palpatine has full control. You could ahve Yoda and Obi-Wan on Dagobah, you could have Obi-Wan on Tattooine and what not. All the while Vader and the Emperor are killing the remaining Jedi in the galaxy. 

The final movie in the trilogy could be "The Jedi Purge"  where they are finally all wiped out except Obi-Wan(Yoda still hiding on Dagobah). You could have a rematch between Vader and Obi-Wan that ends in basically a draw.  You'd rewrite the battle between them in A New Hope by doing this though because the dialogue in that fight would  then be refering to this second battle between them and not necessarily the one in Revenge of the Sith. I'd be perfectly happy with that. 

Anyways I think a Kenobi trilogy would work really well, as long as Vader was a constant presence in the trilogy. He doesn't have to be the main guy but his presence always there in the back ground. It would lead to the second battle between the two. Then A New Hope would be the third and the cycle would be complete. 

Kenobi Trilogy:
Episode I: Fallen Jedi
Episode II: Rise of the Empire
Episode III: The Jedi Purge

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New pics/plot details from the movie officially released via Entertainment Weekly:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/09/star-wars-last-jedi-porgs-caretakers/

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/09/star-wars-last-jedi-rey-luke-skywalker-daisy-ridley-mark-hamill/

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/09/star-wars-last-jedi-snoke-praetorian-guard/

I like the porgs (cute little bird things) and Snoke's guards. Not sure how to feel about those fish nuns or whatever, though. At least it's different, I guess.

Edited by rocknroll41

Looks like Kenobi is the next spin-off:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505

Stephen Daldry in talks to direct. EW is reporting that it takes place between episodes 3 and 4, so ewan will most likely be back.

Boba Fett and Yoda movies are also in the works, apparently.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Jabba the Hutt film also reportedly in the early stages of development: 

http://movieweb.com/jabba-the-hutt-movie-early-development-lucasfilm/

On 8/17/2017 at 5:19 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Looks like Kenobi is the next spin-off:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505

Stephen Daldry in talks to direct. EW is reporting that it takes place between episodes 3 and 4, so ewan will most likely be back.

Boba Fett and Yoda movies are also in the works, apparently.

My god. Does anyone actually give a flying fuck about a Jabba movie? I can't even imagine how stupid that would be. Also why does anyone care about a Yoda movie. It would be complete and utter bullshit. The prequels already tainted his character so much and turned him into some sort of Sonic the Hedgehog mockery. I couldn't stand Yoda fighting with a lightsaber. I mean the Yoda vs Palpatine duel was such a joke. You've got the two baddest characters going against each other and it's nothing but a comical farce.  And a Boba Fett movie...... what the fuck for?  I'm not interested in any of that shit. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Disney are going to bugger Star Wars completely up the arse. You'll all be crying for your Lucasy prequels when Disney are finished with it. ''I apologise for slagging you off Jar Jar''.

I hate to say it, but I'm already kinda starting to feel nostalgic for The Phantom Menace.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I've said before that I'm down for a Kenobi movie under the circumstances, but fuck. Disney, is there anything wrong with an original story?

Yeah the Kenobi film I see potential in, but I don't see any way at all how films about Boba Fett, Yoda, or Jabba the Hutt can be well-done. 

Boba was just a cool costume and Jabba was just a cool-looking prop. Yoda, while being a good supporting character, would most likely have to be cgi in order to be the central figure of his own film. No thanks! Besides, he works better as the all-knowing wisdom figure, not someone who needs to go through an arc or learn things.

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah the Kenobi film I see potential in, but I don't see any way at all how films about Boba Fett, Yoda, or Jabba the Hutt can be well-done. 

Boba was just a cool costume and Jabba was just a cool-looking prop. Yoda, while being a good supporting character, would most likely have to be cgi in order to be the central figure of his own film. No thanks! Besides, he works better as the all-knowing wisdom figure, not someone who needs to go through an arc or learn things.

If they really want to use Yoda, have his force ghost appear in the main series or have Kenobi go visit him on Dagobah in the Kenobi film. The less we know of Yoda,  the better.

Fuck Jabba entirely. :lol:

• Like 1

Boba Fett is the only one that makes sense if done right. I mean, he's pretty much a blank slate in cool armor. Mucking with his back story would be pretty contained and couldn't ruin anything else in the SW universe.

Jabba would be fucking dumb. If you merged a Boba Fett and Jabba story then that could work, but no way are we gonna find a fat slug mobster to be interesting or relatable. 

Sad to say this, as many people here are championing a Kenobi movie, after thinking about it I just can't see any way that its worth the risk. Ewan McGregor did a fine job as Kenobi, and given how awful the prequels were it made his performance stand out a bit. I just don't see that character being able to carry an entire film, or how it could be worth it in the long run. I think it's a bad idea, and Kenobi is best left in the 6 Lucas films where he belongs.

Also please leave Yoda alone. He was a perfect supporting character for Luke in the OT but that's it. I can't imagine anyone is really holding there breath to find out what Yoda's childhood and teen years were like. He's a wise old sage that helps guide Luke to a more clear view of spirituality, and I think that's all his character is capable of being.

Edited by Dan H.

Nobody wants Boba Fett but yeah,  of the Yoda, Fett and Jabba, Boba Fett is the only one that makes sense and has potential to not ruin shit.  I suppose with a Boba Fett movie they could essentially do anything they wanted so I guess it could be cool, it's just nobody gives a fuck. 

Jabba movie is absolutely absurd and a Yoda movie would fuck his character for sure. 

Obi-Wan is the only side story I think anyone actually wants aside from new original stories or an Old Republic trilogy or possible tv series. My issue with an Obi-Wan movie is I think if it's one movie it will suck. I honestly feel like the story of Obi-Wan between ROTS and ANH could easily be made into a trilogy and at the very least a be 2 parter with each movie being 2 1/2 hours long at least.  But a single movie won't do it justice and in fact I think would be ruined by trying to cram too much or even too little  into one film 

Edited by Bono

19 hours ago, Bono said:

Nobody wants Boba Fett but yeah,  of the Yoda, Fett and Jabba, Boba Fett is the only one that makes sense and has potential to not ruin shit.  I suppose with a Boba Fett movie they could essentially do anything they wanted so I guess it could be cool, it's just nobody gives a fuck. 

Yeah, I wouldn't have high hopes for a Boba Fett movie, but it is the most inviting to the possibility of new characters and experiences.

Honestly the best spinoff we could get is an Old Republic fantasy epic. It could canonize some of the best bits of the EU, and be shot and presented as a Game of Thrones or LotR epic fantasy. It would be contained and doesn't effect the legacy if the OT, and could be a big draw not only for the die hards, but for the masses as well. The Planet of the Apes trilogy is a great model for slipping in some sly but not too over the top references and goodies that give it a touch of the OT, but would mostly be forced to stand alone.

There's already a decent script that could be salavaged from KOTOR's messy story and converted smoothly into a film. It would have to lose a little of the Revan focus though, as he is too delicate of a character to gamble on.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2017 at 9:21 AM, rocknroll41 said:

He's not joking about the Joshua Tree thing. That's actually the working title of the obi-wan film.

According to Omega Underground, the #Kenobi spinoff is filming under the working title Joshua Tree. Now, it's worth noting that Omega Underground has a good history reporting these working titles — they called it with The Last Jedi and the Han Solo spinoff, after all. So we can be fairly confident they're right about this one, too. But what is a Joshua Tree, and why has Lucasfilm chosen this enigmatic working title?