Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, Abrams buggered Star Trek up the arse and now he is buggering Star Wars up the arse. It is ironic really as he had basically the easiest film ever to make, i.e. a Star Wars film better than the prequels (which of course stunk to high heaven), and he only succeeded in making a worse film than the prequels haha.

Agreed. He ruined the Star Trek films. I'm glad that Star Trek: Discovery takes place in the prime timeline. Even if a post-Nemesis series would've been much better.

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Agreed. He ruined the Star Trek films. I'm glad that Star Trek: Discovery takes place in the prime timeline. Even if a post-Nemesis series would've been much better.

Doesn't Discovery mess with the canon a lot too though? Like by giving Spock a long-lost sister or whatever and having a character magically see death right before it happens (thus proposing for the first time ever that magic exists in the Star Trek universe)? Plus, the Klingons are completely different in the new show, so idk how they're gonna explain that. 

34 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Doesn't Discovery mess with the canon a lot too though? Like by giving Spock a long-lost sister or whatever and having a character magically see death right before it happens (thus proposing for the first time ever that magic exists in the Star Trek universe)? Plus, the Klingons are completely different in the new show, so idk how they're gonna explain that. 

The Klingons looked completely different in TNG too. They later explained it in an ENT episode.

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Aren't we overdue for another trailer? We're under 100 days out, and we've still only got one teaser which we got in April...

TFA had a VERY breif teaser 13 months ahead of its release cause hype for the film was on a whole other level. Then it had its proper teaser in April and its full-length domestic trailer in October.

TLJ skipped the very early tease thing simply because it wasn't needed this time around, and had its proper teaser also in April, so my guess is that the full-length domestic trailer will be in October as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been discussed, but does anyone else feel Disney's SW lore is inconsistent with the worlds established in the original films and prequels?

What's with all of these new species? Why haven't we seen any Rodians, Twi'lek, Ithorians, etc.. Half the scenes in Episode VII looked like they were shot in Monsters Inc.

And why does every planet have to be a new planet? Scarif, Jedha, etc.. 

Star Wars is more than lightsabers and the Force and the evil Empire. But Disney has reduced it to that.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2017 at 11:51 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, Abrams buggered Star Trek up the arse and now he is buggering Star Wars up the arse. It is ironic really as he had basically the easiest film ever to make, i.e. a Star Wars film better than the prequels (which of course stunk to high heaven), and he only succeeded in making a worse film than the prequels haha.

The Force Awakens worse than the prequels? Hahahahahaha GTFO

On 9/14/2017 at 8:55 AM, Powerage5 said:

Aren't we overdue for another trailer? We're under 100 days out, and we've still only got one teaser which we got in April...

We'll be getting one in a  few weeks during Monday Night Football. Probably October 9th or 16th

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Just got my tickets online from Cinemagic. I guess some theater sites are already selling them early?

Apparently, yeah. My IMAX theater is doing things a bit fucky - they've got a 2D screening at 7 PM, then 3D at 9:40 and 1:10 AM. And the 6 PM in 2D is $25 per ticket. I got tickets for standard 3D at 7 PM, but then my buddy got us tickets for the 1:10 AM in IMAX. So I guess I'm seeing it twice on opening night :mellow: 

Trailer looks great - already seems a lot more original than TFA from the bit we've seen. Did anyone else think the trailer is a bit revealing for a Star Wars trailer though?

I think it looks badass and I liked that it just gave us more questions than answers. I like the tease of Kylo killing Leia and I actually hope it plays out that way as I think it would be fitting for her to go out the same way Han did and it would make Kylo so evil and completely unredeemable and also solves issues with casting and story as far as Leia is concered in Episode 9. The teas eof Kylo and Rey teaming up..... meh. Obviously a cut and paste to make it seem that way. Rey is most likely talking to Luke and Kylo is probably extending his hand to Snoke or someone else 

Oh and I got my tickets tonight to see it in IMAX with massive comfy seats. So pumped up to see this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bono said:

I think it looks badass and I liked that it just gave us more questions than answers. I like the tease of Kylo killing Leia and I actually hope it plays out that way as I think it would be fitting for her to go out the same way Han did and it would make Kylo so evil and completely unredeemable and also solves issues with casting and story as far as Leia is concered in Episode 9. The teas eof Kylo and Rey teaming up..... meh. Obviously a cut and paste to make it seem that way. Rey is most likely talking to Luke and Kylo is probably extending his hand to Snoke or someone else 

Oh and I got my tickets tonight to see it in IMAX with massive comfy seats. So pumped up to see this. 

Pretty much my exact thoughts. 

I'm not sure I want to watch the trailer. I don't want to have to change my pants multiple times today!

Who am I kidding, later I will watch it probably ten times in a row.

Admittedly though, I'm not crazy on the poster. It's like they took the Rogue One poster and changed the colour to red.

• Like 2