Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

15 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Sure. But she was touted as a major character in TFA, and was a complete waste of screen time (For all of three minutes)

I think that like Maz Kanata, there was more conceptualized for her character in both the script and in deleted sequences. When they cut the film together, it seems to me that they realized that neither character was particularly engaging and to give them more screen time would be to waste screen time.

With Captain Phasma, I think it was a mistake casting that particular lady (more gender pandering) as she brought nothing particularly great to the table nor was there anything idiosyncratic about Phasma being a lady.

• GNFNR 1

I definitely enjoyed the film when I initially saw it, but there's very little replay value in it, for me.

The most disappointing thing about  Force Awakens was my expectations. We all had an idealized Star Wars sequel in our minds. Before the film came out, it could be anything any one of us daydreamed. Something is always immaculate in your imagination.

When I read Michael Ardnt had been fired and his draft retooled, I was very excited by the notion that the reason was to bring the original three characters to the forefront.

It was envigorating to be told that the new, youthful torch-passing characters were being diminished to give the audience more Luke, Han and Leia. In my mind, that was the right move because that's what people want. They want the characters they fell in love with decades ago.

It just doesn't seem that was true, however. The three important characters were sidelined and the most important character was hidden and emasculated. They reason that they had to bench Luke because he would overshadow every other new character they hoped to introduce. I say; no shit. That's what we wanted. 

So for me, I had expectations we would see a film that truly honored the original cast and left the journey of the new faces for another day. That wasn't the film we got.

6 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

I definitely enjoyed the film when I initially saw it, but there's very little replay value in it, for me.

The most disappointing thing about  Force Awakens was my expectations. We all had an idealized Star Wars sequel in our minds. Before the film came out, it could be anything any one of us daydreamed. Something is always immaculate in your imagination.

When I read Michael Ardnt had been fired and his draft retooled, I was very excited by the notion that the reason was to bring the original three characters to the forefront.

It was envigorating to be told that the new, youthful torch-passing characters were being diminished to give the audience more Luke, Han and Leia. In my mind, that was the right move because that's what people want. They want the characters they fell in love with decades ago.

It just doesn't seem that was true, however. The three important characters were sidelined and the most important character was hidden and emasculated. They reason that they had to bench Luke because he would overshadow every other new character they hoped to introduce. I say; no shit. That's what we wanted. 

So for me, I had expectations we would see a film that truly honored the original cast and left the journey of the new faces for another day. That wasn't the film we got.

Yeah that report of Ardnt being fired so that they could write a story that focused more on the old characters turned out to be a bullshit report.

Abrams, Kasdan, and Ardnt clarified that the reason Ardnt left was cause by the fall of 2013 he had only managed to produce a very rough draft that overlooked a lot of detail (as most first drafts tend to do). By that point, they only had 6 months to get the final draft ready for production, but Ardnt, who has a history for taking a long time with his work (he spent 6 years writing little miss sunshine), said he needed at least 18 more months if he were to stay onboard.

by that point, the film's release had already been delayed from summer 2015 to December 2015. They couldn't afford another delay, so it was mutually agreed upon to have Ardnt leave and kasdan step in as JJ's new writing partner. They knocked out their first draft together in 6 weeks. 

TLDR version: Ardnt's departure was due to timing issues, not creative differences. The gameplan  was always to have the new characters be the center and the classic trio take a backseat.

Edited by rocknroll41

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just proves that these films are being dictated to by corporate deadlines and not any creative urge. 

Yeah I hate to say it but they're making these films way too fast. The original Star Wars took like five years to develop and each of the two sequels took three years. Same for the prequel trilogy (phantom took five years and the others took three). I guess the first installments of each trilogy needed more time so thag Lucas and co could figure out where the world was at in each of those timeframes, so to speak.

But once episode 7 was announced, they had to move fast. The public anticipation was just way too high...maybe they should've given Ardnt all the time he needed to write a solid draft secretly before even announcing the film's existence. Idk if the big wigs at disney wouldve wanted that, though. I'm not really sure how those sorts of movie politics really work. But I do know that Ardnt was already outlining episode 7 before the disney deal closed. they should've waited for him to have a solid draft in the can before closing the deal. I also know that lucas gave them his own outlines during that time but those were probably thrown out right away and the public only found out about it later.

Edited by rocknroll41

It’s all about money. Look at the Marvel movies. You’ve got two to four Marvel movies coming out each year. Granted they don’t all have the same people writing and directing. 

I mean I know the prequels didn’t live up to hype and weren’t the greatest movies, but I think they had a better story than what we have so far for the sequel trilogy. I’ve never been a big EU fan, but so far the Thrawn Trilogy is a better sequel trilogy. 

3 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

It’s all about money. Look at the Marvel movies. You’ve got two to four Marvel movies coming out each year. Granted they don’t all have the same people writing and directing. 

I mean I know the prequels didn’t live up to hype and weren’t the greatest movies, but I think they had a better story than what we have so far for the sequel trilogy. I’ve never been a big EU fan, but so far the Thrawn Trilogy is a better sequel trilogy. 

Yeah also I think the marvel films lend themselves better to 3 or 4 films a year considering how there's 70 years worth of comic book source material go cherry pick from. For a while though I had thought that after infinity war people would start to get tired of those films too and the stories themselves would start to get repetitive. But now that disney is buying fox (and therefore obtaining xmen and fantastic four in the process), I think the marvel films will get a second wind after infinity war.

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It takes a truly bad film to get one misty-eyed about the prequels haha, but I find myself looking at them more favourably following the Force Awakens abomination. 

I think I know how prequel haters feel now. The sequel trilogy could have been written so much better. And The Last Jedi is the second, so it has to follow what was already established with TFA. 

On 10/12/2017 at 12:55 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I hate to say it but they're making these films way too fast. The original Star Wars took like five years to develop and each of the two sequels took three years. Same for the prequel trilogy (phantom took five years and the others took three). I guess the first installments of each trilogy needed more time so thag Lucas and co could figure out where the world was at in each of those timeframes, so to speak.

But once episode 7 was announced, they had to move fast. The public anticipation was just way too high...maybe they should've given Ardnt all the time he needed to write a solid draft secretly before even announcing the film's existence. Idk if the big wigs at disney wouldve wanted that, though. I'm not really sure how those sorts of movie politics really work. But I do know that Ardnt was already outlining episode 7 before the disney deal closed. they should've waited for him to have a solid draft in the can before closing the deal. I also know that lucas gave them his own outlines during that time but those were probably thrown out right away and the public only found out about it later.

That example doesn't necessarily mean that a long time in development makes for a better movie. The prequels may have taken as long to develop as the original trilogy but they are all complete and utter garbage. Amongst the worst films ever made.

• Like 1

TFA has one of the worst stories in any sci fi/fantasy movie I watched and that is by far my favorite genre of movies and especially books and it could've been so great. 

It's not like there aren't any good space opera writers out there. Hell, there are tons of fan fictions way better than the movie story 

Edited by Nicklord