Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

16 hours ago, Bono said:

I don't give a shit about what he used the X-Wing for. I didn't need to be misdirected for that final scene and him pulling the X-Wing out of the water doesn't mean he couldn't have done what he did at the end still. I didn't need Luke flying into battle. He could've gone anywhere with it or gone nowhere at all. Maybe there was something in it he needed. It was a huge missed opportunity for a cool moment, genuine fan service and a perfect call back to Empire. Him pulling it out of the water doesn't by default negate the final scene which I liked. 

Youre spot on 💯 

But you're clearly forgetting Rian Johnson made this film to specifically fuck the fan boys in the ass while getting jerked off by all the critics on how "bold and daring" he is.  Fuck him.  He had to come out and do interviews explaining and defending the whole damn movie, specifically Carrie Poppins.  Normally I'm all good with being brash and bold, but who does this fuck think he is?  

Rian can play looper on a loop and jerk himsrlf off while he oozes in his over-rated brilliance.  Fuck him.

Edited by tsinindy

20 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I liked TFA score quite a bit. Reys theme, Kylos music, Resistence theme are also great

Oh yeah for sure. There is nobody Id rather score the Sequel Trilogy. The music is still phenominal, I just think this was his weakest score of the 8

Mark Hamil is not 85! lol He's about 65. By today's standards 65 isn't old as long as you have your health. My grandpa lived to 84 and he had tons of energy until his last days. Age is just a number!

Besides Luke is the last Jedi or is he?

3 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Mark Hamil is not 85! lol He's about 65. By today's standards 65 isn't old as long as you have your health. My grandpa lived to 84 and he had tons of energy until his last days. Age is just a number!

I think they were referring to John Williams (the music composer), who is 85.

59 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Mark Hamill isn't the composer. ;)

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

We were talking about John Williams

Finally got to step out with my wife today as her parents looked after our three-week old daughter.  

I was really excited to see it as TFA had, IMO, set things up well.  

Unfortunately, I felt the film fell short with respect to story and plot.  It was a beautifully shot film with gorgeous sets.  I loved the white and red salt environment that concludes the film.  

But unfortunately a lot of the plot developments didn't work for me.  It's kind of mind-blowing that we're two films in and still no serious lightsaber battle between major characters.  I wouldn't consider the Rey-Ren fight in TFA a legitimate lightsaber battle since neither were masters with it.  In TLJ, we get Rey-Ren fighting with each other against no-named body guards.  The Ren-Skywalker battle wasn't even really a battle since Luke wasn't even there in person.  

It would appear the TLJ that communication seems impossible between major characters.  Why did Vice Admiral Holdo feel the need to not tell anyone of her plan.  Why without it from Poe?  Moreover, once the plan was known, why was del Toro's character kept in the loop?  

I just could not buy Princess Leia floating through space back to her ship.  She should have died; would have been far more impactful had she died at the beginning of this film.  Instead the audience is asked to believe that she has such mastery of the force that she can withstand being in outer space far longer than humanly possible.

Someone really needs to explain to me how is that the star destroyers couldn't catch up to the resistance convoy.  So they built these massive ships with the ability to either go the speed of light or impulse.  It felt ridiculous watching a slow-motion chase for over an hour.  

This movie really missed the presence of Han Solo and his chemistry with Chewy.  There really wasn't anything in this film that rivalled the chemistry those two characters have with each other.  If there's one reason why I preferred TFA over the latest instalment, is the absence of Han Solo.

I really didn't see the need for Skywalker to float away into nothing.  I also have a hard time believing that a Jedi master could allow himself to be so far gone.  

Anyway, I still enjoyed the film, but there were some serious issues from my point of view.  Probably one of the thing I liked the most about the film were the cute and interesting animals that were created.  

• Like 1

It is infected with Marvel humour. 

End of world catastrophe, people dying etc., and some slick one-liner turns the tragedy into something which we should then probably interpret as flippant and inconsequential - if the protagonists are that unaffected and casual, why should we be carried away by the pathos of the scene? If Empire Strikes Back was filmed now, there would be an one-liner during the 'I am your father' scene (I can just envision it, something about Vader and his parental responsibilities!). If the Hoth scene happened now there would be loads of gags to compensate for the rebel deaths. It is also different from traditional 'Star Wars comedy' (which tends to be of a more naive nature and anyhow be delegated to certain characters like C3PO, Ewoks and Jar Jar). Marvel humour threatens to break through the ''fourth wall'' being self-referential and full of pop culture referencing (late 20th - 21st century). 

• Like 3

What a terrible film. So disappointed.

The whole Finn-subplot was a giant, unnecessary mcguffin. Benicio Del Toro, why was he even there? 

Literally none of the seeds planted in the previous film grow into something satisfying. Rey's parents? Nobodies. Snoke? Dead before we know it. Luke? Moped around on an island for an ungodly amount of time. 

Edited by st0n3r

2 hours ago, st0n3r said:

What a terrible film. So disappointed.

The whole Finn-subplot was a giant, unnecessary mcguffin. Benicio Del Toro, why was he even there? 

Literally none of the seeds planted in the previous film grow into something satisfying. Rey's parents? Nobodies. Snoke? Dead before we know it. Luke? Moped around on an island for an ungodly amount of time. 

I actually think that the truth behind Rey's lineage will prove to be something different in the next film.  There's an interesting article over IGN about why we shouldn't believe Kylo Ren in regards to Rey's parents.   Essentially the story of Star Wars has been the story of the Skywalker.  The only remaining Skywalkers left are Ben and Leia.  Since Leia won't be making much of an appearance in the last instalment and Ren has turned out to be a turd, it would make sense that Rey has some connection to the Skywalker bloodline from a story perspective.  I'd suggest reading the article if you're looking for hope that Rey's lineage is something more than was revealed in The Last Jedi.  

On 12/18/2017 at 8:07 AM, DR DOOM said:

I've been a Star Wars fan since before I can remember, and walked out of the cinema for this one and TFA feeling like they were defacing the original movies/story.

Same here. Neither one had the epic climax that the originals had. I mean that too. Nothing I've seen in either film has matched Luke blowing up the Death Star in ANH or Vader revealing he was Luke's father or the redemption of Darth Vader in ROTJ. The whole thing has been ruined by Disney.

31 minutes ago, downzy said:

I actually think that the truth behind Rey's lineage will prove to be something different in the next film.  There's an interesting article over IGN about why we shouldn't believe Kylo Ren in regards to Rey's parents.   Essentially the story of Star Wars has been the story of the Skywalker.  The only remaining Skywalkers left are Ben and Leia.  Since Leia won't be making much of an appearance in the last instalment and Ren has turned out to be a turd, it would make sense that Rey has some connection to the Skywalker bloodline from a story perspective.  I'd suggest reading the article if you're looking for hope that Rey's lineage is something more than was revealed in The Last Jedi.  

I think Disney/Lucasfilm wanna move away from the nepotism thing and suggest that anyone can be the hero of the Galaxy, no matter where they come from or who they're related to. Rey's parents being deadbeat alcoholics and that random slave kid using the force on the broom at the end are examples of them trying to break away from the nepotism thing from the first six films. Anyone can be the hero. More relatable to the general audience that way.

Saw the Jimmy Kimmell Star Wars special, but since it was filmed before the movie was released, they couldn't talk about it at all. What a waste of time!

Mark Hamil was funny and talked about how they kept the secret that Darth Vadar was going to be his dad. No one but him and two other people knew about it, so everyone on the cast and crew was shocked when they filmed "Luke I am your father". Pretty cool.

16 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

We were talking about John Williams

Sorry, wow John is 85. Well, he still rocks!

• Like 1

When you analyse things, I believe the conflict is between Abrams and Johnson. They have directly opposing visions here. JJ Abrams created a 'safe' corporate dictated (quasi) reboot which was directly analogous to the original film and invoked the (nostalgic) feel of the originals. I disliked the first film but it was tight and coherent at least and created a platform for the series to begin in earnest with its two sequels. Rian Johnson had obviously a different idea on how to proceed, which is not wrong in itself however the problem is that Johnson then had to first unravel the whole of the first film: he had to first bump off Snork and switch the antagonistic emphasis back onto Kylo Ren. He had to dispense with Phasma as she had no role in his vision. He clearly didn't know what to do with Finn so plonked him on this lengthy 'Macguffin' sojourn with awkward CGI and an even more awkward romantic sub-plot. He had to do all this, unraveling Abrams' film, executing superfluous characters, while still creating 'his' film and something hypothetical entertaining. No wonder it is a complete mess? 

I think his vision as far as I can interpret is to sort of democraticise Star Wars or at least the Force. Star Wars is wrapped around the Skywalker/Solo clan yet here we see some random girl as the latest Jedi in waiting, and some random kid at the end seems to possess abilities. You also hear Skywalker discuss disparagingly about the Jedi. Johnson also shoved in some clunky left-wing politics during the Finn subplot.

Jesus, it truly is a mess: it is going in about fifty different directions!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, downzy said:

That may be incorrect, according to the director himself. He doesn't believe Kylo is lying to Rey, but that it is what he saw when they touched.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/910135-last-jedi-spoilers#/slide/1

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

That may be incorrect, according to the director himself. He doesn't believe Kylo is lying to Rey, but that it is what he saw when they touched.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/910135-last-jedi-spoilers#/slide/1

Yeah, we won't really know until the final instalment comes out.  It just feels odd that JJ would make it a mystery in TFA only for it to be a nothingburger in TLJ.  Since Abrams will be writing and directing the final, perhaps he'll put his own spin on Rey's lineage.

As much as I think Rey should be a Skywalker, I believe she's a random. JJ said her parents weren't in TFA, then he rephrased it saying we don't find out who her parents are in TFA. Daisy said she was surprised people didn't realize who her parents were after TFA. It definitely does seem like Kylo is lying in that scene, though.

3 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

As much as I think Rey should be a Skywalker, I believe she's a random. JJ said her parents weren't in TFA, then he rephrased it saying we don't find out who her parents are in TFA. Daisy said she was surprised people didn't realize who her parents were after TFA. It definitely does seem like Kylo is lying in that scene, though.

Or Snoke was lying to her, through Kylo. 

There has to be something special about Rey. There are force sensitives out there, but she is something special. Or the Force just randomly empowered her because Snoke and now Kylo is throwing off the balance by going to the dark side.

What do you think Luke meant by "See you around, kid."

Luke never would have tried to kill Kylo. He went down that road with Vader. He was willing to die to bring him back, so why try to kill Kylo?

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

I just bought the (mostly) unaltered trilogy on VHS to wash the sour taste of this film out of my mouth. Screw the Blu-ray's - I need the true originals.

I have the originals on VHS (well, the ones from 97), have had em for years and am so glad that I do!

Edited by marlingrl03
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

I have the originals on VHS (well, the ones from 97), have had em for years and am so glad that I do!

See if you can get a set of the “faces” release. It was the last time they were released on VHS before the special editions. Or you can get the 2006 DVDs that have the original as a bonus disc. 

• Like 2