Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

5 hours ago, James Bond said:

The Disney efforts are proving that George, at the bare minimum, is needed for the story. He at least envisions an arc which lends itself to a coherent trilogy. Disney seems to be going film to film - contradicting plot points as they go.

THIS!!!

I just heard a week or two ago that Disney JUST NOW had JJ pitch his idea for episode 9. Like really??? These films are supposed to be planned out from the get go. Not doing so, makes them endless sequels not a trilogy. Honestly ole Georgie boy did a pretty good job in one aspect with the prequels, he managed to create a fully functioning trilogy that leaves questions and wonder about the next film, all while fitting up into the OT pretty solidly. The whole last 10 mins or so of ROTS was dedicated to plot holes. Sure George didn't get every single one, but I appreciate the effort. Far more thought than what Disney has been putting in.

The fact that Rian Johnson and Disney treated the 2nd act of a trilogy as a stand alone film, is a pretty huge slap in the face unto itself imo. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

THIS!!!

I just heard a week or two ago that Disney JUST NOW had JJ pitch his idea for episode 9. Like really??? These films are supposed to be planned out from the get go. Not doing so, makes them endless sequels not a trilogy. Honestly ole Georgie boy did a pretty good job in one aspect with the prequels, he managed to create a fully functioning trilogy that leaves questions and wonder about the next film, all while fitting up into the OT pretty solidly. The whole last 10 mins or so of ROTS was dedicated to plot holes. Sure George didn't get every single one, but I appreciate the effort. Far more thought than what Disney has been putting in.

The fact that Rian Johnson and Disney treated the 2nd act of a trilogy as a stand alone film, is a pretty huge slap in the face unto itself imo. 

I was actually thinking about that actually. I wonder if we're done with trilogies? I wonder if going forward it'll be "another episode, another episode, another episode" formula. 

For the record, I think that's a horrible idea 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

It's a little more complicated than that. George Lucas is rumored to have been on the DGA blacklist ever since Empire cause he wouldn't let the film have opening credits (they didn't give a shit for the original film). That's apparently why Speilberg didn't end up directing Return of the Jedi. He didn't wanna risk getting blacklisted as well. 

iirc Lucas had asked Kasdan to write the prequels back when the ball was getting rolling on those in 1994, but kasdan turned it down. Rumor has it Kasdan was afraid of being blacklisted by the guild as well. Other rumors suggest it was cause Lucas and Kasdan had a personal fallout at the time. If the latter is true, they must've made peace at some point cause they were both at a WGA event together back in like 2007 or so.

I didn't realize the blacklisting was still rearing its head around the prequels. That certainly explains the lack of outside involvement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I was actually thinking about that actually. I wonder if we're done with trilogies? I wonder if going forward it'll be "another episode, another episode, another episode" formula. 

For the record, I think that's a horrible idea 

Thatd be awful

JJ says he sees Episode 9 as the end of the Skywalker saga, and Ridley said she doesn't think she'll return after Episode 9, so I think the idea of generational trilogies is still intact, at least for now.

there will still be tons of spin offs, at least one a year, from now until the end of time though. Make no mistake about that.

12 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

JJ says he sees Episode 9 as the end of the Skywalker saga, and Ridley said she doesn't think she'll return after Episode 9, so I think the idea of generational trilogies is still intact, at least for now.

there will still be tons of spin offs, at least one a year, from now until the end of time though. Make no mistake about that.

Daisy said she never said that. But if they go past EPIX and it's not an anthology film and it's not about Skywalkers, fuck Disney and Jar Jar Abrams.

9 hours ago, James Bond said:

The one person they don't kill off in the film is the one who dies in real life.

Yeah, this film could have used some serious post-production work. Reshoots and rewrites.

25 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

So Finn just happens to work on Starkiller and Snoke’s star destroyer? I’ll bet the next ship they have to infiltrate or blow up will have had Finn stationed on it. 

Well, he is the best damn janitor in the galaxy. Also, how many stromtroopers do they have? Maybe he was in high demand. 

I just couldn't give a flying turd about pretty much any of the new characters-Rey is all "Mary Sue", Poe is really annoying, and I'll be fucked if Finn isn't the epitomy of the token black guy. Rose is the shittest Star Wars character ever. Get the fuck out of here.

Edited by DR DOOM
language
  • Like 2

The problem with TLJ is that it makes me reevaluate TFA.  I enjoyed TFA for what it was suppose to do: set the table, pose questions, introduce new characters, roughly outline what Luke, Leia, and Han have been up to for 40 years.  But with TLJ seeming not to give a shit about what TFA was, it kind of makes the first film in this new trilogy kind of irrelevant.  I still say it's more fun than TLJ with Han and Chewie in it, but it's disappointing that many of the setups within TFA are ignored or given poor follow-through in TLJ.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

They should've hired all writers and directors yeard ago, and written an outline for the trilogy way before TFA even went into production, instead of having directors with opposing views mucking the story up.

And a week or two after VII hit theaters, JJ pitched his story for IX. FFS

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

They should've hired all writers and directors yeard ago, and written an outline for the trilogy way before TFA even went into production, instead of having directors with opposing views mucking the story up.

I thought that was the responsibility of Kathleen Kennedy, who oversees Star Wars for Disney. 

So far nothing from Lucasfilm after being purchased by Disney can be considered great. Rogue One was decent, TFA was fun but now kind of pointless, and TLJ exposes a total lack of concern for continuity and consistency with respect to the new trilogy and iconic characters like Leia and Luke Skywalker. 

I’d still be in favour of someone more competent someday redoing the whole series from episode 1 through 9. Map things out, invest in great scripts, adhere to one aesthetic and tech environment, lock in actors for the entire series. Star Wars is a great concept but too few of the films are all that great. Empire and parts of Jedi and a New Hope are fantastic, but everything else save for Rogue One has been either a disaster or undermined but subsequent films (TFA). I’d like to see a fresh start with a new cast, new ideas, better execution, and stronger and more cohesive narrative arcs.  Some films would like Empire would only need small and simple tweaks, whereas the prequels need a complete overhaul. 

• Like 1