Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

On 5/31/2018 at 8:17 PM, Lies They Tell said:

To me it feels weird that people were so positive after seeing TFA and so negative after TLJ.

If TLJ sucks, it's mostly because TFA set it up to suck. People complain that TLJ didn't give satisfying answers to questions like who are Rey's parents... well what would have been a satisfying answer then? You can't top the "I am your father" plot twist. That's an impossible task, so it was a stupid idea in TFA to make Rey's backstory a mystery. The answer was doomed to be a disappointment. It's easy to create questions and build up mysteries, but it's much harder to come up with satisfying answers. Rian Johnson did the best he could, but nothing could have saved this new trilogy after TFA.

Snoke was a useless character to begin with. Just a new version of the emperor. It's like JJ Abrams was trying to remake the original trilogy. If it was up to JJ, we probably would have seen a remake of the conflict between Luke, Vader and the Emperor in episode 9, only this time it would have been between Rey, Ren and Snoke. Well, luckily Rian Johnson killed Snoke, so that Episode 9 won't be a complete rehash of ROTJ.

The Last Jedi could so easily have been a rehash of the Empire Strikes Back. Just like Yoda, Luke could have taught Rey the secrets of the force, but instead we got a deeply conflicted jedi. We got a fresh and interesting take on a jedi master. Again Rian Johnson saved the movie from the shit that it was set out to be.

Some people even complain that TLJ didn't give any answers to Rey's Mary Sue powers. How about instead of blaming TLJ, you blame TFA for making her a Mary Sue in the first place. It was TFA that screwed this trilogy up. For some reason everyone expected TLJ to fix all the problems that TFA created.

The problem is that they had no real vision for this trilogy. They didn't have a new story worth of telling. They just started remaking the original trilogy, then Rian Johnson did the best he could to take the story away from that path. But it was too late. After TFA this trilogy was beyond saving. 

Of course some are just disappointed that Luke wasn't the perfect human being that they remember from the original trilogy. I can see that, although personally I liked this conflicted portrayal of Luke. Besides they didn't just dump all over Luke Skywalker, like some people say. He redeemed himself in the movie and in the end we see Luke with the kind of force powers we've never seen before. In my opinion they handled his death with respect. TLJ does have it's fair share of problems. Rose was a lame ass character. Some of the humor was lame etc... But at least TLJ had some original ideas and tried to take the story to some more interesting new paths. TLJ wasn't an amazing movie, but it was much better than TFA.

I'm an unapologetic fan of Last Jedi, so it's refreshing to see someone else sum up the disappointment of its performance as a natural extension of the lazy and uninspired take of The Force Awakens. 

The problem was inherent in Disney's model; they wanted three different people to come in to tell a game of telephone. They should have really had a decent outline set up for all three before they penciled in dates and put the pressure on writers to start making heads or tails of the story.

I don't blame them for making their first bet on JJ and Lawrence Kasdan, but obviously, it did little to launch the story into rich territory. Kasadan, in particular, I am pretty disappointed in. As a franchise MVP he seems to have lost his touch. One only needs to watch Solo to know that he's run out of gas and can no longer carry the ball.

Now that JJ is back in the driver's seat, Disney has ostensibly retreated to their comfort zone and it's unlikely that the next film will really satisfy one side or another, in terms of a conclusion. It will simply be a wrap-up that is corporately acceptable. 

JJ Abrams played it safe. Rian Johnson refused to. I really respect that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Usually I feel incomplete about a missing sequel in my film collection, but I can’t say I have any desire to own this film. Maybe eventually if they release it as part of a massive box set with the unaltered original trilogy in 4K then I will indirectly purchase it. After all, I’ll need a coaster to rest my beer on while I watch the superior entries in the franchise.

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I like TFA more now, but TLJ (while it does have issues) is not as bad as everyone keeps saying it is.

I just wish Finn's storyline was better. They should have paired him with Poe more imo

50 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I just wish Finn's storyline was better. They should have paired him with Poe more imo

Yeah supposedly the first draft had him and Poe together and Rose didn't exist but johnson changed it cause he felt "finn and poe got along too much."

i think it woulda been better that way, so that the Poe/Holdo story never existed either. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Wait. Is is possible you have a different definition of the word "awesome" than the rest of us? :lol:

I'd say TLJ is awesome compared to TFA. That movie was utter garbage. It was so bad that nothing could have saved this trilogy after the horrible start. Compared to The Force Awakens The Last Jedi is a masterpiece. But in general TLJ is just an okay movie.

I can understand people being upset that the Last Jedi didn't follow the traditional Star Wars course but I really don't get the hate.  I tend to agree that they disrespected Luke...and it wasn't the Luke we all know but other than that, the rest of the film was decent.   I thought it was fine and I'm sure the 3rd segment of the current trilogy will wrap things up nicely.  I would think, anyway. 

Finn and Rose definitely have the weakest story. That is the biggest issue with the film imo. Its just so messy and makes everything seem less urgent. I am glad Finn and Rey will have more time together in IX. Keeping them apart the whole movie ended up hurting it a bit because they had great chemistry in VII. 

Lukes death might be a huge issue for me if he juat cameos as a ghost in IX. If they find a way to have him have a big role in the plot I'll be happy. 

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

They're both utter garbage (for different reasons) but at least the first one was coherent I suppose. Last Jedi is all over the place. It is a complete mess. 

Well if you ask me a complete mess with some original ideas is still much better than a coherent piece of no original ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 1:54 PM, Georgy Zhukov said:

The Last Jedi is on Netflix in the US. This surprises me for some reason.

I think TFA was too. I think that's all about to change in the next year or so though as last I heard, Disney was working on their own version of a Netflix rival.

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Canada too. I won’t even watch it again for free.

Yeah, I'm there as well.  I watched TFA the first day it was on Netflix, but can't be bothered to watch TLJ again, even though it's essentially free to watch. 

I might hate watch it if and when I can clear some time.  I mean, the first fifteen minutes was alright.  

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I think TFA was too. I think that's all about to change in the next year or so though as last I heard, Disney was working on their own version of a Netflix rival.

TFA wasn't on 'Murica Netflix. Canadians get all the good shit. Wish I could jailbreak it again. 

6 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

TFA wasn't on 'Murica Netflix. Canadians get all the good shit. Wish I could jailbreak it again. 

That's funny, because most Canadians think American netflix is a lot better.  

• 4 weeks later...