Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

Interesting info on "It's time for the Jedi to end."

From Reddit and the French trailer. Remember the official translation for the title in other languages confirmed Jedi is plural in the title. 

Hey everyone.

Don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, if someone did, then sorry and let's just let this thread sink to the bottom of the sub.

So, people have been speculating as to Luke's sentence "It's time for the Jedi to end", pointing out that this might be an unfinished sentence.

I just watched the French-dubbed version of the trailer, and once again as the title did a few months ago, it sheds a new light on the mystery. They chose to translate the sentence by "Le temps est venu pour les Jedi d'en finir...". As a French guy, this idiom is ALWAYS followed by a complement (usually a name), the expression being "En finir avec quelque chose" (Basically "to put an end to smth" in English). 

This translation clearly guides us towards the idea that Luke is saying something such as "It's time for the Jedi to end [The war/The struggle between light and darkness/The First Order/whatever].

If they wanted to translate that it is time for the Jedi to end, as in to cease to exist, they would have done something in the lines of "Le temps est venu pour les Jedi de s'éteindre". The translation chosen clearly points at the theory of an unfinished sentence.

So what do you guys think Luke could be talking about?

Cheers :)

Just now, luciusfunk said:

I dunno. The leaks I read were from 4chan. They had a google doc that showed the entire plot along with pictures from the movie.

That was the spoiler board, came from MSW :P

Just be very wary, that dude has insiders. His main dude worked on TFA and got fired in relation to Ford's broken leg. He got pissed and provided MSW with a rough screen play. Doesn't seem like his sources are as strong this time, but he seems to have some sort of contact. I have no idea how Disney hasnt fired a death star laser at him

Just now, luciusfunk said:

pIgi05v.gif

Oh fuckkkkk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Interesting info on "It's time for the Jedi to end."

From Reddit and the French trailer. Remember the official translation for the title in other languages confirmed Jedi is plural in the title. 

Hey everyone.

Don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, if someone did, then sorry and let's just let this thread sink to the bottom of the sub.

So, people have been speculating as to Luke's sentence "It's time for the Jedi to end", pointing out that this might be an unfinished sentence.

I just watched the French-dubbed version of the trailer, and once again as the title did a few months ago, it sheds a new light on the mystery. They chose to translate the sentence by "Le temps est venu pour les Jedi d'en finir...". As a French guy, this idiom is ALWAYS followed by a complement (usually a name), the expression being "En finir avec quelque chose" (Basically "to put an end to smth" in English). 

This translation clearly guides us towards the idea that Luke is saying something such as "It's time for the Jedi to end [The war/The struggle between light and darkness/The First Order/whatever].

If they wanted to translate that it is time for the Jedi to end, as in to cease to exist, they would have done something in the lines of "Le temps est venu pour les Jedi de s'éteindre". The translation chosen clearly points at the theory of an unfinished sentence.

So what do you guys think Luke could be talking about?

Cheers :)

As a frenchman, this rings very true. It also seems like Luke is gonna sacrificed himself for the better good.

13 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

New plot leak, most likely BS. I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case. 

Hide contents

Luke vowed never to touch a lightsaber again after ROTJ because he came so close to the dark side. 

He trained his students in only the force, that's why Kylo made his own lightsaber and the Knights of Ren have melee weapons. 

Rey's parentage is never mentioned (they already said it definitely would be explained). She's a nobody. This trilogy is the redemption of Kylo Ren. 

Benicio Del Toro kills Rey in the third act. (I can't see that happening). Luke has epic battle with and kills Del Toro. Del Toro made a deal with and betrayed Kylo.

Luke takes Kylo with him afterward.

Bullshit. MakingStarWars already confirmed that Del Toro plays the owner of a club. 

Also in response to your earlier post, JJ already made it pretty damn clear in his interview with Chris Rock and in his bluray commentary that Rey is neither a Skywalker nor a Solo. According to him, her parents were not in TFA and kylo never met her before, only heard about her.

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Bullshit. MakingStarWars already confirmed that Del Toro plays the owner of a club. 

Also in response to your earlier post, JJ already made it pretty damn clear in his interview with Chris Rock and in his bluray commentary that Rey is neither a Skywalker nor a Solo. According to him, her parents were not in TFA and kylo never met her before, only heard about her.

Haven't seen that about Del Toro's character. Doesn't mean he couldn't do what that leak says. Not that I believe it, just playing devils advocate. 

"He's not Khan!"

He clarified the statement about her parents not being in TFA as Rey doesn't know who they are in TFA. 

Skywalker or riot. 

11 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Haven't seen that about Del Toro's character. Doesn't mean he couldn't do what that leak says. Not that I believe it, just playing devils advocate. 

"He's not Khan!"

He clarified the statement about her parents not being in TFA as Rey doesn't know who they are in TFA. 

Skywalker or riot. 

"Clarified" = damage control

and abrams also said around that time that he regretted lying about the khan thing.

I remember a year or so ago I read a review of all the old jedi and sith masters that existed prior to the episodic movies.   It seems like a lot of sith lords were previously jedis.  It occurred to me then that perhaps having Jedis around wasn't the best idea, since it left open the possibility of the sith.  I suppose this is an idea they'll explore in the next film.

Found this on Reddit with no source, but comments state it's from MSW. Spoiler tags just in case. It's not a huge deal, but it's about the scene on Crait with the walkers and red dust.

The ships you see on the salt flats of Crait are not fighters. They are ships designed to dig up crystals. In the trailer they are digging up crystals to use in battle by dropping them on the walkers to crush them.

10 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Found this on Reddit with no source, but comments state it's from MSW. Spoiler tags just in case. It's not a huge deal, but it's about the scene on Crait with the walkers and red dust.

Reveal hidden contents

The ships you see on the salt flats of Crait are not fighters. They are ships designed to dig up crystals. In the trailer they are digging up crystals to use in battle by dropping them on the walkers to crush them.

Is that the name of the salt flat planet?

3 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

I'm sure they'll kill Luke and that'll be stupid.

But after Episode IX, Mark Hamill is done with Star Wars. The only thing they could do to close up, The Lord Of The Rings -style. Alive but soon to be dead, like maybe he has the Jedi school rebuild with his own teaching for future Jedi to come.

I think I've read they're gonna do three Han Solo movies planned, one Boba Fett, one Obiwan with McGregor and another one. The main saga will be on a long hiatus. 

8 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Is that the name of the salt flat planet?

Yes. 

8 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

But after Episode IX, Mark Hamill is done with Star Wars. The only thing they could do to close up, The Lord Of The Rings -style. Alive but soon to be dead, like maybe he has the Jedi school rebuild with his own teaching for future Jedi to come.

I think I've read they're gonna do three Han Solo movies planned, one Boba Fett, one Obiwan with McGregor and another one. The main saga will be on a long hiatus. 

We don't even need one Han Solo movie, much less three. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Yes. 

We don't even need one Han Solo movie, much less three. 

I had an argument with someone about the Han Solo movie. I said I'm really not into a Ford-less Han Solo film, and his response was "well it's not like they could have him play a young Han Solo."

I said yeah, that's kind of my point. It shouldn't exist at all. We don't need an origin story for every last little thing. I'm currently awaiting Count Dooku's Baby Finger: A Star Wars Story.

I'm fine with the Obi Wan movie because aside from my bias towards the character we're in the unique position to have the correct actor play it at the correct age. Obviously it's a great opportunity.

• Like 3

On April 19, 2017 at 5:13 PM, luciusfunk said:

The only thing I'm interested in with the Han film is the hint that Han Solo isn't his real name. 

Coming July 2024 Unkar Plutt: A Star Wars Quarter Portion

The head of Lucasfilm actually clarified that when the CEO of Disney said that the movie would be about "how Han got his name," he just meant his reputation, not his actual name.