Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

It has nothing to do with the U2 record. A Joshua tree is a tree that only grows in a desert. It comes from the bible cause there's a passage where Joshua is lost in a desert and prays to God to make a tree grow there for him or something.

my guess is that it relates to the film cause obi-wan is a messiah-like figure all alone on a desert planet.

Also, we know from new books and comics and even leaked photos of episode 8 that "force trees" play a big role in the new canon. Maybe we will see obi-wan plant a force tree. I dont know...the real reason for the working title is probably the one I gave in my previous paragraph though, and the whole force tree thing is just coincidence.

Good news:

Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.

• Like 1

Inevitable after The Book of Henry flopped.

lucasfilm and the SW franchise have been on very shakey ground the last four years. First Michael Ardnt (original writer of tfa) left, then Josh Trank (who was supposed to direct a Boba Fett film) was fired, then Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy were brought in to rewrite and redirect, respectively, huge chunks of rogue one, then lord and miller were fired from the Han Solo film and replaced at the very last minute by Ron Howard...and now this.

Edited by rocknroll41

It's just concrete proof that there are too many people with too few ideas involved in these movies.

Lucasfilm engages young idyosyncratic filmmakers hoping that they'll bring new blood and freshness to the table, but it's clear that they never sit them down and really establish what it is their making. They just give them the green light and hope they get it right as they go along.

It's no surprise that someone as talented and elastic as Rian Johnson has been the only one to rise to the occasion. He's the most singular and smart of the whole lot. 

It would be exhausting for him to go back to back with Star Wars films, but I never had the confidence in Colin Treverrow to end the saga. 

Not going to lie, wasn't thrilled with having Trevorrow direct episode IX.  Was not a fan of Jurrasic Park World and worried that Trevorrow would turn the film into an amusement ride devoid of any depth or significance (not that there's a lot of depth in Star Wars films already).  

So this is good news for me. 

I'd rather see Johnson return for episode 9 or give it to an up-and-coming director who can bring a unique touch to the franchise.  

39 minutes ago, downzy said:

Not going to lie, wasn't thrilled with having Trevorrow direct episode IX.  Was not a fan of Jurrasic Park World and worried that Trevorrow would turn the film into an amusement ride devoid of any depth or significance (not that there's a lot of depth in Star Wars films already).  

Safety Not Garunteed is a pretty mediocre film as well, and its what launched his career.

At some point it became trendy for big studios to pick up indie film makers and shove them onto big blockbuster franchises without even considering who the director is, and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Thus you get horrible flops like Fantastic Four, Jurrassic World, and Blair Witch Project, which destroy the budding indie director's career.

Trank, Trevorrow, and Wingard's reputations are ruined, and with only a handlful of films under their belt and barely a start to their careers. All three made indie films that range from okay (Safety Not Garunteed) to great (The Guest) to excellent (Chronical). Such a waste of talent.

Edited by Dan H.

6 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

Safety Not Garunteed is a pretty mediocre film as well, and its what launched his career.

At some point it became trendy for big studios to pick up indie film makers and shove them onto big blockbuster franchises without even considering who the director is, and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Thus you get horrible flops like Fantastic Four, Jurrassic World, and Blair Witch Project, which destroy the budding indie director's career.

Trank, Trevorrow, and Wingard's reputations are ruined, and with only a handlful of films under their belt and barely a start to their careers. All three made indie films that range from okay (Safety Not Garunteed) to great (The Guest) to excellent (Chronical). Such a waste of talent.

Jurassic World was HUGE and did alright critically. I thought it was alright, but acknowledge all the criticism. Its still one of the biggest films ever commercially, so I dont think his career is done because of his latest flop. It definitely isnt like a Josh Trank disaster. I still dont think Jurassic World warrants him being worthy for the grand finale of the sequel trilogy, so I am not necessarily lamenting his departure.

Still, what the fuckkkkkk. Every Disney Star Wars project except VIII has had massive problems behind the scenes. VII saw Michael Ardnt leave as a head writer, Rogue One saw a massive overhaul, the Han Solo movie sounds like a disaster, and now this. What the hell is going on? Im not too scared, because VII and Rogue One were good Star Wars films, but damn its crazy.

Disney seems confident in The Last Jedi, maybe bring Johnson back for IX if it is critically acclaimed like VII. I wouldnt mind JJ coming back to help, too, if Johnson is burnt out and needs a hand.

Or they could get crazy and have Spielberg direct it. Fuck it, that could be awesome. Ill go full moron and say why not have Lucas help a bit with story elements? Just have someone there to reign in the extra crap

13 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Jurassic World was HUGE and did alright critically. I thought it was alright, but acknowledge all the criticism. Its still one of the biggest films ever commercially, so I dont think his career is done because of his latest flop. It definitely isnt like a Josh Trank disaster. I still dont think Jurassic World warrants him being worthy for the grand finale of the sequel trilogy, so I am not necessarily lamenting his departure.

Still, what the fuckkkkkk. Every Disney Star Wars project except VIII has had massive problems behind the scenes. VII saw Michael Ardnt leave as a head writer, Rogue One saw a massive overhaul, the Han Solo movie sounds like a disaster, and now this. What the hell is going on? Im not too scared, because VII and Rogue One were good Star Wars films, but damn its crazy.

Disney seems confident in The Last Jedi, maybe bring Johnson back for IX if it is critically acclaimed like VII. I wouldnt mind JJ coming back to help, too, if Johnson is burnt out and needs a hand.

Or they could get crazy and have Spielberg direct it. Fuck it, that could be awesome. Ill go full moron and say why not have Lucas help a bit with story elements? Just have someone there to reign in the extra crap

Jurassic World, IMO, was a remarkable commercial success, but it's not going to have much relevance or staying power in terms of being an accomplishment in film.  

My only concern is the final product.  And so far, Disney is two for two.  Not that neither TFA and RO didn't have their issues, but they certainly were better than most big-budget affairs of late.  I'd rather a studio acknowledge a problem and fix it mid-course than allow for issues to hamper the final product.  

And no, there's no way Lucas should be allowed anywhere near upcoming Star Wars projects.  He gave up that right when with the cinematic abortions that are the prequels.  Plus, we already know what he'd say: "more CGI!"

I don't have problem with Disney using upcoming directors instead of established filmmakers.  I think they'd do the series a disservice by using the same guys who haven't had an original idea in decades.  Roll the dice and bring in some fresh blood.  Star Wars survived the prequels, they can survive the odd misstep so long as they're taking smart risks.  I actually give Disney credit with their willingness to place their newly acquired multi-billion dollar franchise in the hands of relatively unestablished directors.  

31 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Directors don't have input on these films anyway. The producers control all creativity.

You're probably right, but I do think allowing directors to write the script allows for a lot of room for whoever is directing the film.