Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

1 minute ago, downzy said:

You're probably right, but I do think allowing directors to write the script allows for a lot of room for whoever is directing the film.  

Fans are screaming for Alfonso Cuaron or Guillermo Del Toro but they have egos, well earned egos. Disney wants to get some pushover. Someone to make a safe film. Same with all these big extended universe films. 

15 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Fans are screaming for Alfonso Cuaron or Guillermo Del Toro but they have egos, well earned egos. Disney wants to get some pushover. Someone to make a safe film. Same with all these big extended universe films. 

Yeah they need a yes-man like Brent Ratner or Joe Johnson or someone else who'll just do whatever the fuck they want at this point.

i wouldn't mind either JJ or Rian coming back, though. Maybe Rian can write and JJ can direct.

On 06/09/2017 at 7:14 PM, Dan H. said:

Safety Not Garunteed is a pretty mediocre film as well, and its what launched his career.

At some point it became trendy for big studios to pick up indie film makers and shove them onto big blockbuster franchises without even considering who the director is, and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Thus you get horrible flops like Fantastic Four, Jurrassic World, and Blair Witch Project, which destroy the budding indie director's career.

Trank, Trevorrow, and Wingard's reputations are ruined, and with only a handlful of films under their belt and barely a start to their careers. All three made indie films that range from okay (Safety Not Garunteed) to great (The Guest) to excellent (Chronical). Such a waste of talent.

Jurassic World was fine and did pretty well critically and commercially...

I agree with Dies, Rogue One aside, there has been pretty much nothing good about Disney's acquisition of Star Wars.

• Like 1

Eh, they did what they had to do.

For all his strengths, I would not peg JJ Abrams as what Alec Baldwin would call a "closer."

I don't think of him as a director who does the epic finale. I struggle when I look at his work to see a piece of product that was really ended in a profound way. 

I hope he feels the pressure, otherwise this could be the dog chasing his tail.

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

Jurassic World was fine and did pretty well critically and commercially...

I agree with Dies, Rogue One aside, there has been pretty much nothing good about Disney's acquisition of Star Wars.

I'd say it was controversial in its critical reception, but perhaps Trevorrow is a bad example.

Either way, Jurrasic Park fans have much greater leniency with that franchise than SW fans have with theirs, and I was never confident in Trevorrow as the right choice.

For the record, I though Jurrasic World was fine. Probably not a film that will have a lot of staying power, but it accomplished what the studios wanted so I concede on that point.

I've always thought Chris Terrio's work on the Argo script was fantastic. He made that movie feel delightful and tense at the same time. I can't speak to the rest of the stuff he's done, because I think the DC scripts are creatively bankrupt in the first place. 

He'll have to do as a co-writer since Larry Kasdan is busy.

The fatal flaw in all of Disney's Star Wars is the clock. They pencil in the dates for all these movies, hire the directors and only then try to figure out the story.

One director gets the ball rolling by starting the story, the next has his chapter and then someone else wraps the bow.

Not so simple. I think Disney doesn't really know how or where this saga is supposed to go. Each director is building the mythology like a game of telephone. It's hard to expect a rousing conclusion when throughout the process, one hand doesn't know what the other is going to do.

Obviously, they should have known the broad strokes of where each film was going to go and the ultimate conclusion. You can still give filmmakers room to craft their story, while knowing the destination.

I don't believe they've known their destination. And it's because they've had so much faith in these upstart directors to tell them something good.

Yes, Abrams buggered Star Trek up the arse and now he is buggering Star Wars up the arse. It is ironic really as he had basically the easiest film ever to make, i.e. a Star Wars film better than the prequels (which of course stunk to high heaven), and he only succeeded in making a worse film than the prequels haha.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

The fatal flaw in all of Disney's Star Wars is the clock. They pencil in the dates for all these movies, hire the directors and only then try to figure out the story.

One director gets the ball rolling by starting the story, the next has his chapter and then someone else wraps the bow.

Not so simple. I think Disney doesn't really know how or where this saga is supposed to go. Each director is building the mythology like a game of telephone. It's hard to expect a rousing conclusion when throughout the process, one hand doesn't know what the other is going to do.

Obviously, they should have known the broad strokes of where each film was going to go and the ultimate conclusion. You can still give filmmakers room to craft their story, while knowing the destination.

I don't believe they've known their destination. And it's because they've had so much faith in these upstart directors to tell them something good.

Lucas didn't really know the destination of the original trilogy back when he made the first star wars film though either. He didn't know in 1977 that Vader was Luke's father or that Leia was his sister or if han would live or die by the end of it.

But to be fair, there was a solid 3-year development gap between each of those films, whereas this trilogy only has a development gap of 2 years per film. That already makes a huge difference. 

That's an excellent point. Lucas didn't know where the story was going. Only that the alliance would reign triumphant and the empire would fall.

But he could rest easy knowing he had the singularity of vision. That each choice he made would dictate his next and he was careful not to write himself into a corner.

There's no singularity anymore and lots of people are pleased to see the collaborative process in action. I just wonder if its become an Achilles heel. It's a running theme.