Can someone in the know please explain to me why this band is still doing FUCK ALL in terms of promotion?

Bobbo

Isn't TB still running the show? If so that's probably the holdup. No offence to those guys but they've never been the best at promotion. Plus, if there is still uncertainty as to the touring lineup that may contribute as well. It is odd there was no press conference or anything though. Perhaps it's intentional, to build anticipation for Coachella? 

Personally though I was hoping that a 'reunion' would mean things being run differently. 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bobbo said:

There's no way they don't know who's in and out of the band by now with all these shows fastly approaching. So what's the deal with the Area 51 noise still? I've tried to be optimistic, trying to come up with some rhyme and/or reason why they're still so fucking gay with this shit, and have come up with nothing logical. Why aren't at least Axl, Slash, and Duff talking to people? So far this band's being promoted (even by the band itself) as, essentially, a trio. What's the fat fucking hold up?

It's completely and utterly inexcusable at this point.

They are selling out shows with high priced tickets....they don't need to do anything more.   This has also been discussed ad nauseum to this point.  

• Like 3

I had a dream last night about the first show.

1. It ended after 9 songs. I don't remember why.

2. They played Atlas Shrugged as the last song before the interruption.

If this happens, I'll be scared.

LOL.

On topic:

I have a feeling that Axl didn't do the Kimmel show because he wanted to loose a few more pounds and also be able to answer all the questions about line-ups, new music, tours etc.

I don't think he felt ready.

• Like 2

Its been explained a lot. Check most any thread for the answer.

If I'm correct, the gists are its not all finalized. Tour dates aren't set in stone, band members aren't 100% confirmed such as Izzy and Steven guest appearances, and the main thing that they just don't have much to promote at this point. Yeah Slash is back, but to go and on interviews and say that is opening yourself up to all the follow up questions, which they simply just don't know at this time.

Right now, it seems to be agreed that silence is the best course of action for everyone. They have a few announced shows, they are selling out, and thats all thats really needed right now. People were more annoyed when there were rumors and Coachella was announced and that was it. Then they've quietly started adding a few more shows, and I think that curbed interest. It showed we're at least getting more than just one performance. Trust me, when the reunion tour gets announced, there'll be a lot of press and a whole lot of promotion. There's not much talk now, but they aren't squandering the potential for a big reveal. Smartly, they are staying quiet till they actually know what to announce.

It apparently hasn't been discussed enough because it still makes not a shred of god damn sense.

Why the fuck aren't they going on Stern and shit? Something to really strut the stuff. Why keep this all buried in mystery? Now out of all times they need to put some fucking leg into it. For once. Jesus Christ :facepalm:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bobbo said:

It apparently hasn't been discussed enough because it still makes not a shred of god damn sense.

Why the fuck aren't they going on Stern and shit? Something to really strut the stuff. Why keep this all buried in mystery? Now out of all times they need to put some fucking leg into it. For once. Jesus Christ :facepalm:

Why do they need to do that?  Why?

If they're getting to the point where they're using Axl, Slash, and Duff in promotional materials, then they should be able to go out there and at least talk about the basics. The stuff they have to work out in terms of who's doing what beyond Axl, Slash, and Duff is pretty minor at this point. Izzy's already confirmed for what he intends to do, and Steven's presence or absence isn't really a big game changer in the grand scheme of things.

I still have a hard time believing they're booking show after show without a concrete, solid line up at this point. We know they've been rehearsing. Other than guest appearances, everything's gotta be in place. The rest is minor shit.

• Like 2

I became a pretty hardcore fan around 2002. I'd known the name and quite a few songs from the radio before that, but 2002 is when it really clicked and something must have clicked well cause it hasn't gone away in 14 years. All I can say is the seemingly lack of promotion is totally gnr to me. What else can you do? In a way, the silence, delays, not knowing who's in the band, knowing virtually nothing, is the legacy of gnr. They are one of those bands that have the catalog and live show to make you forget everything else once they are on. I stopped expecting things around the Chinese democracy era, pre release and it's been a lot more fun being a fan since then. So yeah, in the same way every acdc songs sounds alike and it works, this is "gnr's thing". It's rock and roll if you can see it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bobbo said:

I have faith in Slash that he knows what he is doing. I don't think he's just going along with it, cause he knows the implications, and I think there must be some sense behind everything. We just don't know what it is yet or its not all finalized so it seems scattered.

As for Kimmel, far be it from me to DEFEND Axl, but from what's happened since, I truly think its one of the very times he just actually wasn't told about it. Or not that he wasn't told, but it was kind of booked hastily and abandoned, and his knowledge of it may have been fuzzy. I could be wrong, but it seemed that one was  kind of was on the schedule as a "maybe" and it got leaked too early and then they weren't ready so he pulled out. There's just something off about it that doesn't scream to me that one was actually Axl's fault, and I'm always saying its Axl's fault.

Edited by gunsfanoldie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Why do they need to do that?  Why?

Because it's normal and it promotes a sense of stability. One of the most requested reunions of all time only next to Zep (Axl and Slash) finally happens, and we don't even hear a whimper or have a clue less than two months before the first show. Why. the. fuck. not?

• Like 2

At this point the only people being gay are the ones still complaing about how this band goes about their business. You should finally know after 30 years. And as is seen by ticket sales, promo is not needed at this point. And crybabies, who can't wait 2 months to get their answers are not needed either.

Just now, Bobbo said:

Because it's normal and it promotes a sense of stability. One of the most requested reunions of all time only next to Zep (Axl and Slash) finally happens, and we don't even hear a whimper or have a clue less than two months before the first show. Why. the. fuck. not?

Normal?  What's normal?  Here's the thing....you want them to do whatever it is you think they should do.  They are doing what they are doing and selliing out.  So, keep throwing your fits and they'll keep dong what they are going to do.

• Like 2

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

At this point the only people being gay are the ones still complaing about how this band goes about their business. You should finally know after 30 years. And as is seen by ticket sales, promo is not needed at this point. And crybabies, who can't wait 2 months to get their answers are not needed either.

This is the magnum opus most thought would never happen as recently as two months ago though. I mean, even Axl can't be that fucked in the head to botch something of this magnitude. How can you possibly be that retarded?

• Like 1

For what its worth Bobbo, you aren't really wrong. People make good points, but you're right that in the end they're still just keeping us in the dark. We're buying $300+ tickets and making tons of arrangements for something that is literally just a link on a website. They haven't said a word.

The thing is, I cared a lot more before I had tickets to the shows. Now that I do, I'm just kind of letting everything happen. If they don't want to promote, fine, easier for me to get tickets. I agree with you that this is the biggest reunion aside from Zeppelin or Pink Floyd and its not being promoted in that way, but the bottom line is once I got tickets, I stopped caring. As long as I got a show, I'm fine to let them do whatever they want as long as they show up in Vegas. Also, selfishly, I kind of don't want them to do ANYTHING cause then in Vegas I'm literally seeing their first apperance.

• Like 1

Some people compare the current situation to the newGnR era. That's just ridiculous. This is huge. It's mainstream news.

GnR is like a blockbuster Scorsese movie, while newGnR era was like an indie movie that win prizes at obscure film festivals; loved by a few, meaningless to the majority.

The promotion must start sooner rather than later. Just a pic of them back together would get published in most newspapers in the industrial world. It takes zero effort.

• Like 2