Would these shows have sold out without Duff?

I don't think it would have made much of a difference sales wise to be honest. It does make a lot of difference musically, as Duff's sound is recognizable and his presence on stage is great. Backing vocals as well.

It's Axl and Slash playing together again after 20 years. This is the big selling point and what the casual fan cares about imo.

1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

probably because its mainly about Axl & Slash for causal listeners

but it certainly wouldn't feel right..with Duff being there it makes it passable as a actual reunion

Yeah.  Duff turns this into a GN'R reunion rather than just Axl and Slash working together again

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 1

I really can't answer that. Slash and Duff are the two most important elements, but alone they definitely are not Guns N' Roses. Duff's presence makes it that more legit having 3 original members. I don't think Duff is any more important than Steven or Izzy would be. If Anything, I would probably take them over Duff if I had the choice. Izzy for sure and that isn't a knock on Duff. Duff is the man.

We all know what Axl and Slash bring..

Duff punchy baselines and backing vocals helped carve a piece of the sound. Same with Izzy's backing vocals and rhythm guitar. No one has really replicated his rhythm parts. And from the Steven thread, it is pretty apparent how much his drumming worked with these guys more than anyone else.  Watching that My Michelle video from 2 weeks ago was just awesome.. Not sure I would get that much enjoyment watching Duff play a song to a backing track.

• Like 1

I agree with most... it's really about Axl and Slash for the casual listener, they were the most recognised members back then, and they were the ones ''fighting'' all this time. When Duff joined them the previous tour to fill in for Stinson it wasn't so much a big deal for the casual fan either, I believe. I'm glad he is in... when I was a kid he was my favourite member.

3 hours ago, jonah said:

The better question would tickets sales be good if they announced a reunion with every original member but Slash

That's my thing; Slash is key. However, like others have said, I don't think Slash would be there without Duff.

Having said that, I don't think ANYONE would be as interested as they are w/o Slash being involved. On topic; I do think they would have sold out the shows they have with just Axl & Slash, but again, that leads back in the circle of the points posted above.

The only people who give a shit about Duff are the forum marks who complain that Izzy and Adler aren't in. To the rest of the world, it's Axl and Slash whose reunion has been long awaited. Did Duff change ticket sales at all for Vegas or South America when he first came back? I really don't think so. It's great to have him there, but outside of these forum discussions, no one gives a shit. 

45 minutes ago, axlslash said:

outside of these forum discussions, no one gives a shit. 

You are just wrong. Adler and Izzy come up in most of the conversations I have with people about the reunion. I also read it all over the internet. Hell my 27 year old Lowes delivery guy asked if there was any work on Izzy and Adler the other day.  It isn't just the people in this forum. People do give a shit. Will it make or break this thing? No.. Slash and Axl are obviously the key ingredients here but there are plenty of people that do give a shit. 

Guns N' Roses were fucking HUGE. They have a lot of die hard fans that don't post on forums.  Axl/Slash/Duff/Izzy and Steven made them the biggest band on the planet with million and millions of fans. A lot of those fans are coming back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CheapJon said:

To me, the answer is no. Simply due to without Duff I'm sure Slash wouldn't be involved  either..

I agree with this point the most. With pretty much all bands, the main selling point to the general public are the front men in each band (singer and lead guitarist). Axl and slash are the selling point. Duff is the icing on the cake to complete this and Bill it as a reunion. 

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

The only people who give a shit about Duff are the forum marks who complain that Izzy and Adler aren't in. To the rest of the world, it's Axl and Slash whose reunion has been long awaited. Did Duff change ticket sales at all for Vegas or South America when he first came back? I really don't think so. It's great to have him there, but outside of these forum discussions, no one gives a shit. 

Actually there was an increase in sales when Duff rejoined if I recall.

The whole ''Axl, Slash, nobody cares about the others'' argument is simply not how I remember Guns N' Roses growing up, 1992 onward. It was always a band, and people (i.e. Joe Public) are actually more knowledgeable  about band members like McKagan, Stradlin and Adler than a lot of people here on mygnr are willing to give credit for.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

I agree with most... it's really about Axl and Slash for the casual listener, they were the most recognised members back then, and they were the ones ''fighting'' all this time. When Duff joined them the previous tour to fill in for Stinson it wasn't so much a big deal for the casual fan either, I believe. I'm glad he is in... when I was a kid he was my favourite member.

Yes. When Izzy joins the band on stage, I get excited personally but my friends could care less so they bust my balls. When Duff makes a special appearance, they did the same. Yet when slash joins, everyone gets excited and it's a reunion again. And to be honest, the last Vegas residency didn't have record ticket sales because duff filled in for Tommy. It had an effect for die hard fans maybe but not the general public.

18 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

i dont think he had to be there to sell tickets but im fuckin glad he is !

You nailed it in your initial post. Yes, it would have sold out just to see Axl and Slash together. But obviously, Duff's presence legitimatizes the whole thing a bit more, and as many have said, Slash probably wouldn't be there without Duff.

But yes, 100%, the shows put onsale thus far would have sold out if it was just Slash and Axl in the lineup.