Would these shows have sold out without Duff?

19 minutes ago, supercool said:

nah, it's mainly about duff's relationship with susan holmes, about how important she's been to him.

In the Universe everything's related, so without Susan Holmes, Duff wouldn't have made it and the reunion would never have happened (not in this life time as in Axl's words). :)

• Like 1

So far theres two modest Vegas shows, two in Mexico and a festival appearence. Axl, Duff & Dizzy could of sold out these shows - there's been no Guns shows for 2 or 3 years and the last line up was pretty poor all round IMO.

A solid lineup surrounding Axl/Duff could of done this damage.

But longer term the more authentic the band is - the longer it will go on and the bigger the shows will be.

(I mean Axl, Duff, Richard, Finck, Sorum, Dizzy, Pittman could of been a decent lineup that would of done not too bad - but we're talking arenas (8-12k) in Europe but Axl,Duff,Slash is ourdoor stadiums(60-90k))

• Like 1

1 hour ago, life_247 said:

for the So far theres two modest Vegas shows, two in Mexico and a festival appearence. Axl, Duff & Dizzy could of sold out these shows - there's been no Guns shows for 2 or 3 years and the last line up was pretty poor all round IMO.

A solid lineup surrounding Axl/Duff could of done this damage.

But longer term the more authentic the band is - the longer it will go on and the bigger the shows will be.

(I mean Axl, Duff, Richard, Finck, Sorum, Dizzy, Pittman could of been a decent lineup that would of done not too bad - but we're talking arenas (8-12k) in Europe but Axl,Duff,Slash is ourdoor stadiums(60-90k))

This. If Duff has rejoined full time there would have been more buzz about the band and if a new album had followed Axl could have got nuGuns out of the rut they were stuck in. Duff rejoining for the SA tour was covered by all the rock press and it was a pretty big deal. I also imagine many who had no interest in seeing nuGuns but were fans of the old band may have gone to see shows if they did full tours with Duff.

That being said, on the flipside, to the general public it is all about Axl and Slash. To most casual music fans bands are the lead guitarist and the lead singer so I imagine the shows would have sold out without Duff. The thing is though having 3/5 members from the classic lineup rather than just 2/5 lends if more legitimacy. I mean, for example, the Led Zeppelin reunion show in 2007 with Page, Plant and John Paul Jones was far bigger than the Page/Plant stuff. IMO they really needed a majority to make it such a huge thing. There's also the fact that to many, they may not know the band members that well but if they think they're getting the classic lineup then they'll go. I mean, did most of the people who went to see Fleetwood Mac's last tour because of Christine McVie being back do so because they loved her solo stuff and were huge of fans of her or because of the "classic lineup back together" publicity/hype? 

Edited by BassistSeb

2 hours ago, BassistSeb said:

IMO they really needed a majority to make it such a huge thing. There's also the fact that to many, they may not know the band members that well but if they think they're getting the classic lineup then they'll go.

Agree with this big time.. Getting rid of Pittman is step one..

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Agree with this big time.. Getting rid of Pittman is step one..

I'm so confused!  I thought Pittman was or is out.  Didn't he gave an apparent spat with management based on a Facebook post and then delete the Coachella pic he had on his profile?

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

I'm so confused!  I thought Pittman was or is out.  Didn't he gave an apparent spat with management based on a Facebook post and then delete the Coachella pic he had on his profile?

I have no idea... I thought it was all speculation.. 

I would be pissed if Duff wasn't involved,but I would definetely buy a ticket to see Axl and Slash. People do care who is in the band, and you can see that-most people complain about Izzy and Steven over social media.Duff's absence would make them even more disapointed. 

(of course if Duff was out, Slash wouldn't do it)

On 2/15/2016 at 6:29 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Actually there was an increase in sales when Duff rejoined if I recall.

The whole ''Axl, Slash, nobody cares about the others'' argument is simply not how I remember Guns N' Roses growing up, 1992 onward. It was always a band, and people (i.e. Joe Public) are actually more knowledgeable  about band members like McKagan, Stradlin and Adler than a lot of people here on mygnr are willing to give credit for.

Yeah man.

And GNR were one of those bands that were (at least thought to be) made up of "larger than life" or cartoon character members- not like the average band where they're all faceless besides the singer anybody could be replaced and nobody would notice.

I remember my friends and I looking down our noses at Sorum and in particular Gilby.

4 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

Yeah man.

And GNR were one of those bands that were (at least thought to be) made up of "larger than life" or cartoon character members- not like the average band where they're all faceless besides the singer anybody could be replaced and nobody would notice.

It is great Slash and Axl are back together but Guns N' Roses were a unit.. A 5 man team.. Some members more popular than others but as you said, they weren't all faceless. All 5 of them were practically household names at one time. Sure the Illusions albums and tour were a great success but it 100% was riding on the coat tails of what the original 5 had achieved with Appetite and Lies.. The band was f'n HUGE and could have released a pile of shit and it would have went number one with shows sold out around the world.. 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2016 at 7:42 AM, Tom-Ass said:

I really can't answer that. Slash and Duff are the two most important elements, but alone they definitely are not Guns N' Roses. Duff's presence makes it that more legit having 3 original members. I don't think Duff is any more important than Steven or Izzy would be. If Anything, I would probably take them over Duff if I had the choice. Izzy for sure and that isn't a knock on Duff. Duff is the man.

We all know what Axl and Slash bring..

Duff punchy baselines and backing vocals helped carve a piece of the sound. Same with Izzy's backing vocals and rhythm guitar. No one has really replicated his rhythm parts. And from the Steven thread, it is pretty apparent how much his drumming worked with these guys more than anyone else.  Watching that My Michelle video from 2 weeks ago was just awesome.. Not sure I would get that much enjoyment watching Duff play a song to a backing track.

Could not have said it better myself

still sticking with my opinion that the shows definitely woulda sold out if it was just axl n slash but duff being there really makes me wanna see it more... also something i dont believe anyone else mentionned but if duff werent included there would be no izzy/steven speculation and there would be a shitload more complaints complaints complaints

The other thing is Tommy was a punk bass player in the Duff mould and also had a sucessful career (in terms of reconition and respect - The Replacements were a punk band so they wern't drowning in cash) prior to his stint in Guns - whereas only really Buckethead was in anyway known prior to being in GnR. (A$$ba and Finck were in important bands but they were in the background or touring guys, Fortus has always been a stand in for bands, Huge - who?, Pittman - Even moreso?, Brain - some work with Primus but not really known at all, Frank - who?, Lets be honest no one really knew Bumblefoot prior to 2004 when he was mentioned as a replacement). Therefore I don't really think anyone had a problem with oh its the guy from the Replacements not duff - at least on the same level of the bizzare combination of the other guitarists that rolled through the door with a bevvy of different styles. If you had a great blues based classic guitar type of player there I think the longing for a certain top hat (Original not one out of Final Fantasy) wouldn't be as pronounced - we'd be excited of course but the dumping of Bumblefoot (who I like as a guy and some of his stuff but why did Axl's lead players have to be so fuckin wierd?) and Ashba (who started so well because he was a classic rock kind of player who at worked with Nikki Sixx and all of Motley Crue but turned out to be a tool who put in 3rd rate performances over the years) for the real thing is very pronounced.

But most articles in the main stream press will show its the original 3 that were left during the UYI tour era, its a legitamte line up of Guns. Im not quite sure a Axl/Slash + others would be treated in the same way - but it would of sold. Then again like I said before the only impressive thing is Cochella - then again NuGuns headlined plenty of festivals so I still think Axl & the Guns name has a huge draw to it.