The Ritz 1988 - Rocket Queen

Random and irrelevant question BUT - does anyone know where Axl disappears to during Rocket Queen at The Ritz in '88? I'm just curious. Has he ever said anything about it? The show still blows me away when I watch it today - the raw energy and unpredictability of the whole thing is amazing. But I've always wondered where he disappears to during that bit! Watching the rest of the band look around for him and try and figure out what's going on (Adler's face :lol::lol::lol:) still makes me laugh. 

The first time to probably do a line or something.. Isn't that when he walks back out and lights up a cigarette? Then he disappears again at the end of the song an throws his mic.. Not sure what was going on but just another reason that show kicked ass.. Nothing beats Guns N' Roses 87 - 90.. Just pure bad ass mother fuckers.

• Like 3

Just now, Mfegz said:

By the state of his eyes when he comes back on stage, looks like he just smoked some crack!! 

Yeah I figured it might be something along those lines, although I read in a lot of places Axl was clean from about '86 onwards... and I thought even Axl wouldn't miss most of the final song for it. But hey - rock n roll baby.

2 hours ago, Gilla999 said:

Random and irrelevant question BUT - does anyone know where Axl disappears to during Rocket Queen at The Ritz in '88? I'm just curious. Has he ever said anything about it? The show still blows me away when I watch it today - the raw energy and unpredictability of the whole thing is amazing. But I've always wondered where he disappears to during that bit! Watching the rest of the band look around for him and try and figure out what's going on (Adler's face :lol::lol::lol:) still makes me laugh. 

He comes out with a cigarette. 

Yeah I saw the cigarette but that's a long old time just to light a ciggie. And I saw the mic throwing too before he storms off early again - I wondered if that was about getting grief for going AWOL or what was going on. I think @Len B'stard is probably on the money ;)

Edited by Gilla999

15 hours ago, Gilla999 said:

Yeah I figured it might be something along those lines, although I read in a lot of places Axl was clean from about '86 onwards... and I thought even Axl wouldn't miss most of the final song for it. But hey - rock n roll baby.

'Clean' by rock n' roll standards basically means not doing drugs and drinking 24/7.  Doesn't necessarily mean never doing drugs or drinking. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

If he did do a line it better have been close to the closing number, that shit wrecks your voice.

It was the closing number. Then he left again without singing the last verse.. Makes sense ;)

Now your homework is to go watch the entire Ritz show..

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It was the closing number. Then he left again without singing the last verse.. Makes sense ;)

Now your homework is to go watch the entire Ritz show..

I have, just not for many years...and to be honest I've never seen any Guns gig enough to know the order of the songs.

2 hours ago, Slosh13 said:

I love everyone else's reaction: shrugs and wtf is he? I also like that they continue playing and staying cool. :D  

Totally agree! And when he comes back the way he just lights Slash's cigarette and they just carry on going.... total rock n roll rock4 love it

• Like 1