Best Film Scenes

Len Cnut

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

You just dont expect third sequels to be quality do you?  It really really is though.  And they were hits too, both of em in fact, topped box office for a bit, not here i meant round your way.  Friday the first one is fuckin’ brilliant, I agree, the best of the bunch.  Its quite astounding if you think about it cuz lets face it most comedy sequel are shit...but then to lose who was arguably the funniest thing about the first sequel, to replace a main character and STILL be quality, thats exceptional.  I think though, what made the first movie great, aside from Chris Tucker was like...it wasn’t a movie that anyone carried, it was really a masterstroke of writing because every character was fully fleshed out and funny for their own reasons and I think the sequels kinda kept that up.  The first one though, you feel like there’s a potential spin off in every one of those characters, Ezel, Big Worm, Mr Jones, Bernie Macs character, the ho neighbour, Felicia, Red, Deebo of course, all the fuckin’ characters were great. 

All true. For a sequel, and then a part three, to both hold up with the original, that doesn't happen much.

And you're spot on about being successful after replacing a main character. It's even more than that, not sure about over there, but over here Smoky is a classic character. He gets quoted just as much as Scarface/Pacino. To lose that character and still be able to hold up, that's impressive.

I guess most of that can be what you said about all the different characters being so fleshed out. Even the chick Smoky was supposed to get hooked up with, Janet Jackson lookin more like Freddy Jackson :lol: and she only had like 2 min of screen time. 

Pinky in Next is one of my favorite characters and has one of the best scenes of the whole trilogy.

3 minutes ago, J Dog said:

All true. For a sequel, and then a part three, to both hold up with the original, that doesn't happen much.

And you're spot on about being successful after replacing a main character. It's even more than that, not sure about over there, but over here Smoky is a classic character. He gets quoted just as much as Scarface/Pacino. To lose that character and still be able to hold up, that's impressive.

I guess most of that can be what you said about all the different characters being so fleshed out. Even the chick Smoky was supposed to get hooked up with, Janet Jackson lookin more like Freddy Jackson :lol: and she only had like 2 min of screen time. 

Pinky in Next is one of my favorite characters and has one of the best scenes of the whole trilogy.

I nearly spilled my yak on this 300 dollar suit!  None of the Friday films are that big in England except among a certain type of person whoose like, into hip hop and...I’m not sure really how to explain it but they’re certainly not well known across the board, you couldn’t take everybody English on this forum and them all know what Friday movies were about because, well, to folks our age (dunno why i assume your age i have no idea how old you are) it was a minority, mostly centred around London who were into hip hop and that whole side of things.  

Whats most amazing to me that Friday was co-written by Ice Cube and he had like, no previous grounding, formal or otherwise, in writing (other than rap) and yet this amazing shit spilled out of him.  But then hip hop has always had this cinematic quality, its sort of natural talent borne not necessarily from like...academia or a grounding in classic literature but a product of contemporary culture.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I nearly spilled my yak on this 300 dollar suit!  None of the Friday films are that big in England except among a certain type of person whoose like, into hip hop and...I’m not sure really how to explain it but they’re certainly not well known across the board, you couldn’t take everybody English on this forum and them all know what Friday movies were about because, well, to folks our age (dunno why i assume your age i have no idea how old you are) it was a minority, mostly centred around London who were into hip hop and that whole side of things.  

Whats most amazing to me that Friday was co-written by Ice Cube and he had like, no previous grounding, formal or otherwise, in writing (other than rap) and yet this amazing shit spilled out of him.  But then hip hop has always had this cinematic quality, its sort of natural talent borne not necessarily from like...academia or a grounding in classic literature but a product of contemporary culture.

A lot can be said about the job those guys did on Friday. Like you pointed out, Cube co-wrote it and he had only wrote songs up until then. Dj Pooh co-wrote it with him, famous for playing Red (my grandmama gave me that chain :lol:) but before that he was just a rap producer. Granted he was a great and imo underrated producer, but nothing with writing movies. On top of that it was directed by F Gary Gray who had only directed music videos. That's a really great job by them to make that quality of a film on their first attempt.

Edited by J Dog

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

This probably my most favourite film ever!!! 

Jimmy Stewart, to my mind, is top ten best to ever come out Hollywood.  In terms of like leading men.  It was a different generation of acting so they were kind of sold on like, a particular archetype but the measure of their greatness was what they did within the confines of that and Jimmy Stewart did fuckin' everything, made some brilliant westerns like Winchester 73, all the Anthony Mann ones, some of the greatest romantic comedies like The Shop Around the Corner, then his brilliant stuff with Hitchcock, then his stuff John Ford, Otto Preminger too with Anatomy of a Murder, the guy worked with some of the principle architects of what we know as hollywood cinema and was a part of some of their best work.  He's one of the greatest actors Hollywood ever produced, I'd put him up there with Cagney, Bogart, Robert Mitchum, Henry Fonda, Marlon Brando, Gary Cooper, John Wayne, Laurence Olivier, Kirk Douglas and James Stewart, thats my 10, in no particular order, as the most important and influential actors to come out that ol' dream factory they call Hollywood and back in the time where they really created dreams Jimmy Stewart starred in some of the most dreamlike movies in the way that they totally took you out of your world and got you behind the central characters for 90 mins or however long.  Its a Wonderful Life is probably one of his best examples of this, as is a film like Mr Smith Goes to Washington.  

He was a fuckin' war hero too, a real life hero, when his country called he said goodbye to Hollywood and enlisted, ended up a brigadier general, the highest army rank any movie star ever reached, as well as being the first major American movie star to enlist.  There's no scandal in his life either, married to the same woman all his life, he was like a real life hero.  

• GNFNR 1

On 27/04/2018 at 3:48 PM, Len Cnut said:

I truly believe thats one of the most underrated comedy movies ever, the first i watched it i was smokin’ and i swear to God I nearly pissed my pants I was laughing so much.

WHAT THE HELL U DOIN IN MY HOUSE?!  EATIN’ A BIG ASS SANDWICH N SHIT! 

:lol:

I've never seen any of the Friday films. Just about to start the 1st. Expecting good things.

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

What the fuck am I watching? What a load of shite! :lol: 

I was gonna say earlier than I thought it was a bit black for you but I didn't wanna make you sound like a massive racist :lol:  Its one of them Chris, you kinda gotta grow up with it and have some semblence of an interest in that specific culture.  I couldn't imagine you enjoying blaxploitation films either.  The first one is kind of slow and low budget too, try watching Friday After Next, that ones a bit more easier to assimilate cuz Next Friday is similar in pace to the first one.

On 28-12-2018 at 3:27 AM, Jabberwocky said:

Freddy Got Fingered

I can acknowledge the awfulness of it but I howl like an idiot whenever I watch it. Tom Green set out to make the most stupid movie ever made and by God he succeeded.

I've always had a weakness for Tom Green. Maybe because I watched his show so much as a kid, and I know it doesn't require a lot of talent to do what he does and his humour is basically beyond stupid, but he still makes me laugh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...